Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tethering

Question Tethering
    Ok I know how to tether my iphone to my computer and get my computer on the internet via usb.
    My question is can I do this vis-versa. Like can i use my PC's connection via usb to get my iphone connected to the internet. I live in a place with no wifi, but I still want to use cydia and such. I've found one method but it is from last year and a I'm thinking there's probably an easier way to do this now.
    So can I get on the internet with my iphone using my PC internet connection?
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

Check into using 3G Unrestrictor (Cydia), it will allow connections through 3G that otherwise would require WiFi. Including Cydia and App Store and others. Hope this helps.

Im on tmobile... No 3G..... =(
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

I thought about this as well but I think there is no way to do it. The iPhone cannot be tethered to, and as far as I know you cannot create ad-hoc networks that have an actual internet connection.

alk blog: SSH to get your iphone online via USB cable

I saw this but it looks like a very old method.
    What do you guys think?
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

Thanks

Tethering the PC to an iPhone?
    Strange but, OK...
    Tethering is sharing the internet connection. So if the PC has internet all you need to do is to make that connection go wireless.
    If the PC is on cable - then hook up a WiFi card to your PC - Bridge the Cable connection in the PC with the WiFi card. If you can't set the WiFi card to DHCP (providing IPs to connecting devices - simply set it to e.g. 1.1.1.1 subnet 255.0.0.0 and the iPhone on 1.1.1.2 subnet 255.0.0.0 and you should be set.
    If it allready on WiFi...then I do not understand - as you just hook up the phone on the same net.

But I would rather hook up a WiFi Router to the cable than going through that.
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Go to help.benm.at/help.php on your iphones web browser and install the preference pane. then you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
    Go to help.benm.at/help.php on your iphones web browser and install the preference pane. then you should be good.
    no, that tethers from your iphone to your pc. he wants to go the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by sursture View Post
    Tethering the PC to an iPhone?
    Strange but, OK...
    Tethering is sharing the internet connection. So if the PC has internet all you need to do is to make that connection go wireless.
    If the PC is on cable - then hook up a WiFi card to your PC - Bridge the Cable connection in the PC with the WiFi card. If you can't set the WiFi card to DHCP (providing IPs to connecting devices - simply set it to e.g. 1.1.1.1 subnet 255.0.0.0 and the iPhone on 1.1.1.2 subnet 255.0.0.0 and you should be set.
    If it allready on WiFi...then I do not understand - as you just hook up the phone on the same net.

But I would rather hook up a WiFi Router to the cable than going through that.

Thank you, and no I don't have wifi. My school doesn't have wifi in our dorms so I'm hooked up through a cable. I also dont have a Wifi card and am not openly access to funds to buy one.(college student)

Would the way that I posted work?
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

anyone have an idea?
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, that should work! Go ahead and try it, and let us know!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

My b I should have read more thoroughly

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I don't know, but that would be really cool. I want my friend to get an iPod touch, but she has no router at home and her laptop is hooked to a cable. It would be really neat if someone could come out with a program for a laptop to broadcast a signal over wifi.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.