Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: dfu loop

Thanks

Exclamation dfu loop
    I am trying to work on this 3g for a friend of mine and its permenently stuck in dfu mode.

Ok first off I have read tons on this subject and can say I have tried everything. While I know this mode is to restore from within iTunes, I have also tried using winpwn, quickpwn, and about 25 othger programs I can list if you like to upgrade, restore, downgrade and make custom ipsws to use in itunes. Nothing works and the only errors I get are these:

=error 1 for when I select the wrong ipsw not supported by the incorrect device (ie 2g or 3gs for my 3g, etc).
    =error 1600 and error 6.
    It always error 6's any ipsw that would otherwise normally work in or out of dfu mode.
    Now one thing I never see mentioned is the fact that after you put the iphone in dfu itunes always takes it out to do its fuctions eventually in the restore.
    Its on dfu from the time its on, reset or otherwise put manually in that function. Itunes will bring it into iboot and restore modes on a restore but it always fails with an error (6).
    I checked the logs recently and noticed the same error inside there as well...

entering clear_persistent_boot_args
    executing /usr/sbin/nvram boot-args=
    nvram: Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) general error
    error setting 'boot-args' to '': 1

==== end of device restore output ====
    2009-09-07 00:01:46.817 iTunes.exe[5368:152c]: <Restore Device 03A18F90>: Restore failed (result = 6)

Thats in every error 6 and 99% of my problem I have when either restoring and upgrading or restoring with shift+restore and usaing a custom or downgrade.

Ideas??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Have you tried restoring on a different computer? Have you tried reinstalling iTunes?

Thanks

I guess I forgot to mention that but yes and yes. I am not sure there are any 'common' ideas I havnt thought of and ruled out at this point.

ive tried irecovery but it requires me to be in iboot to be recognized which in dfu moide can only be accessed by doing the winpwn trick, and about a gig of other programs ive downloaded. at my wits end here. help!!!
    Last edited by prodigyrick; 2009-09-08 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

sounds pretty strange. as far as I know, you can get the iphone out of dfu mode by holding power and home for some time. you might wanna give it a shot

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

Frostbite (2009-09-08)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    sounds pretty strange. as far as I know, you can get the iphone out of dfu mode by holding power and home for some time. you might wanna give it a shot
    Cool didn't know that.

Thanks

this phone wont get out in that fashion. it just shuts down. when any bottun poressed to start it back up, whethor home before plugging it in or power button, it comes back in dfu with a vengence. No icons displayed unless its being restored. of course before it fails and reboots again in dfu mode with error 6.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigyrick View Post
    this phone wont get out in that fashion. it just shuts down. when any bottun poressed to start it back up, whethor home before plugging it in or power button, it comes back in dfu with a vengence. No icons displayed unless its being restored. of course before it fails and reboots again in dfu mode with error 6.
    for me that is not true. it powers down and then I can normally boot up. this does NOT work for the recovery mode, I havn't been able to get out of that.

Thanks

2 reasons why I know its dfu after a boot or failed restore...
    1) blank screen
    2) only accesses dfu mode windows driver.
    I have successfully uyploaded through several programs and run commands thaT might make you think everything will be ok and even reboot as prompted but it always comes back to blank screen as if everything done wasnt even accomplished.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mahgninnuc93's Avatar
    Thanks

I had the same issue. The way I got around it was to uninstall EVERYTHING that was iTunes related from my PC. There are step by step instructions on how to do this at the iTunes site. Then do a fresh reinstall of iTunes.
    When you do the uninstall of ALL iTunes you must reboot your computer after each element is uninstalled. Which means you will be rebooting your system 4 or 5 times. Follow the instructions on iTunes. It's a pain in the neck but should do the trick. Otherwise, as recommended earlier try to do the restore on a totally different computer. Good luck!

Thanks

didnt work. and ive actually done this on my own before tyoo. thney dont tell you to delete remaining directories or regedit itunes, applemobile, updater, or quicktime either but I did that as well.
    any computer error 6.

Thanks

Have you tried opening irecovery, leave it rnnng in the background, start iTunes then once it goes into recovery mode switch back to Irecovery and see if it picks it up. I have done this before where the iPhone is recognized by two programs at once. Then start I recovery while still rnning the itnes application. Once irecovery recognizes the phone in the proper mode kill the iTunes asap. Just a thoght.

Thanks

actually thats the only way i can use irecovery, and while i can do stuff in it nothing effects the iphone, and after finishing when rebooted its back to square one.
    im stumped.
    the nvram error is where the log file pretty much ends. but there seem to be other errors in the log file that never stopped it. seems itunes is verifying restore when it dies about 2/3 the way through.

I have exactly the same problem! Any luck yet???

Here is what i get after "printenv" command

=======================================
    ::
    :: iBSS for n82ap, Copyright 2009, Apple Inc.
    :: BUILD_TAG: iBoot-596.24
    :: BUILD_STYLE: RELEASE
    :: USB_SERIAL_NUMBER: CPID:8900 CPRV:30 CPFM:03 SCEP:05 BDID:04 ECID:000003
    2FDC010DF7 IBFL:00 SRNM:[87842FTG1R4]
    =======================================

Entering recovery mode, starting command prompt
    ←[m] (Recovery) iPhone$ printenv
    build-style = "RELEASE"
    build-version = "iBoot-596.24"
    config_board = "n82ap"
    loadaddr = "0x9000000"
    boot-command = "fsboot"
    idle-off = "true"
    boot-device = "nand0"
    boot-partition = "0"
    boot-path = "/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/kernelcache.s5l8900
    x"
    display-color-space = "RGB888"
    display-timing = "optC"
    P bootdelay = "0"
    P backlight-level = "39"
    P platform-uuid = <DATA>
    P boot-args = "rd=md0 nand-enable-reformat=1 -progress"
    P auto-boot = true"
    image-version = "0x3"
    framebuffer = "0xfd00000"
    secure-boot = "0x1"
    (Recovery) iPhone$
    Last edited by rusta7; 2009-09-09 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Have you tried ziphone? May be a longshot, but it sounds like any shot is worth it at this point.

I just did, thanks! Always says i have to restore in ITunes first...

Thanks

i've trried 3 versions of ziphone and no luck.
    funny, its like if i fool it into a restore mode or leave it in dfu, it takes the commands but acts as if i never typed anything. it doesnt change the system. itunes error 6. everything else: reboot dfu, reboot dfu, reboot dfu.

new update made avail. tried it too, error 6. yippie!
    Last edited by prodigyrick; 2009-09-10 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

Try this: plug iPhone into computer then make sure it's off by following dfu strategy, if it already is a black screen when plugged in try just holding onto home button Only

Thanks

dfu, but a new driver... odd still says dfu mode driver in vista drivers section. same disposition, same black screen.

think maybe the bootloaders messed up, i never see squat and nothing ever reboots on its own when running a 3rd party program.
    Last edited by prodigyrick; 2009-09-10 at 06:46 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

Do u have access to another pc?

I also think the bootloader is messed up! Is there any way to restore the original bootloaders..., or do i have to change the chip ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast