Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Jailbreak Conspiracy

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone Jailbreak Conspiracy
    Jailbreaking has been frowned on by Apple since it became a trend. Apple has stated why they don't like it, and announced that jailbreaking is illegal but have never gone all the way to push any laws which makes the act truly illegal. The reason is because Apple wants us to jailbreak the iPhone.

Since people started jailbrekaing the phone, it has made it more popular, better in many ways and more accessible. Most jailbreak/unlock utilities programmers know what they are doing and seem to have a good history of working with Apple products. This leads me to suspect that they might have been employed by Apple in the past; making jailbreak an inside job from Apple.

It sounds crazy, yes, but the only thing Apple does to try to stop jailbreaking is put new security locks most of the time a new firmware update is released. These "locks" seem to not take a great ammount of time for groups like DevTeam or others to break. I don't take anything away from groups like DevTeam, maybe they're just too good for apple to figure out a permanent lock.
    Last edited by PlatoTheForms; 2009-09-01 at 06:37 PM.

well, I think it's pretty clear that apple secretly approves of the whole unlocking thing. Because if they really wanted to put an end to it, there would be so many ways ...

no its just that apple can't do anything about it. apple has programmers making securities and locks for the phone. while the hackers are programmers who break/get throudh these securities and locks.

they both know the same information so no one can really stop it

idk if u understand my idea but yea

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^I understand...every action has an opposite reaction. In the case of the iPhone, everything that is locked can be opened.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    well, I think it's pretty clear that apple secretly approves of the whole unlocking thing. Because if they really wanted to put an end to it, there would be so many ways ...
    This is some of what I was talking about. The unlocking would probably be easier to lock permanently than the jailbreaking but maybe not.
    Last edited by PlatoTheForms; 2009-09-01 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hiapimp1821 View Post
    no its just that apple can't do anything about it. apple has programmers making securities and locks for the phone. while the hackers are programmers who break/get throudh these securities and locks.

they both know the same information so no one can really stop it

idk if u understand my idea but yea
    there are really simple steps to at least make it really hard to hack it.
    for example, the whole "custom firmware" stuff could prevented by simply checking the SHA1 sum (checksum) of a firmware when itunes restores to it. As far as I know, the SHA1 sum of a file cannot be faked, maybe I'm wrong, but maybe I'm not.

Or, muuuuch more simple: iTunes could check your iPhone every time the iPhone is connected. if the application folder contains files not approved by apple -> the phone is immediatly locked. or better yet, the iPhone itself just checks for that. it's kind of a dirty hack, but I'm just saying it COULD be done easily. I don't say there are no ways around the stuff I just described that the hackers couldn't use, I just say there are simple steps apple could take to make it really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    Or, muuuuch more simple: iTunes could check your iPhone every time the iPhone is connected. if the application folder contains files not approved by apple -> the phone is immediatly locked. or better yet, the iPhone itself just checks for that. it's kind of a dirty hack, but I'm just saying it COULD be done easily. I don't say there are no ways around the stuff I just described that the hackers couldn't use, I just say there are simple steps apple could take to make it really hard.
    itunes cant do that because it would be invasion of privacy. plus havnt you noticed how cydia doesnt appear on itunes. all those jailbroken apps are hidden from the system. maybe they could have something that scans for illegaly downloaded items, but then that would take away the fun of the iphone lol.

apple is still making money off there apps and product so there not really losing too much to make jailbreaking and stuff a big deal. plus im sure soon enough it will be available for other carriers

Quote Originally Posted by hiapimp1821 View Post
    itunes cant do that because it would be invasion of privacy. plus havnt you noticed how cydia doesnt appear on itunes. all those jailbroken apps are hidden from the system. maybe they could have something that scans for illegaly downloaded items, but then that would take away the fun of the iphone lol.

apple is still making money off there apps and product so there not really losing too much to make jailbreaking and stuff a big deal. plus im sure soon enough it will be available for other carriers
    itunes can do it, it has nothing to do with privacy. and the jailbroken apps are not hidden in any way, they are stored in the file system of the iphone in /Applications.
    Yeah, well, apple is still making money off the iphone and the apps. That's the whole point. I'm just saying if they WANTED TO they COULD easily do that.

Now that they are starting to have some real competition they don't want to lose all of their customers that have jailbroken. If they made it impossible I would definitely switch to the pre for the background apps or I might even consider the new android phone. Anyway apple is getting too much competion to lose that much of a customer base right now.

i'm curious...i'm on tmobile so i need to have my phone jb and unlocked, do you guys think there is the possibility that eventually apple could update the firmware to the point that people like the dev could not be able to figure out how to work around the software for a jb? i've always wondered that...

Quote Originally Posted by lunercrab View Post
    i'm curious...i'm on tmobile so i need to have my phone jb and unlocked, do you guys think there is the possibility that eventually apple could update the firmware to the point that people like the dev could not be able to figure out how to work around the software for a jb? i've always wondered that...
    well, I don't think they can prevent that stuff from the iphone firmware. they could from itunes though I guess ... but since they didn't do it until now, they won't use any dirty hacks in the future. but the next iphone generation will be very interesting in terms of JB and unlock ...