Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unable to join the network - Wi-Fi

Default Unable to join the network - Wi-Fi
    Hi,

I am dealing with a very odd problem - my wife's iPhone (locked iPhone 3G to AT&T with 3.0 &

3.0.1 firmware) does not connect to ANY wireless network. Mine (another iPhone 3G, but unrestricted one) connects with no problems whatsoever.

In order to limit variables, I did verify and confirmed the following:
    1. Wi-Fi password is correctly entered (my own iPhone works fine with the same one)
    2. Wi-Fi signal is just fine (3 m away from the router)
    3. No MAC address filtering
    4. Fails both on WEP and WPA encrypted networks (the other iPhone works fine on both)
    5. Behaves the same way on different networks and router types - Dlink, LinkSys, 3Com.

It actually see the Wi-Fi network but when I enter the password returns "Unable to join the network" as if the password was wrong or the router doesn't allow connection.

What I tried (with little or no use):
    1. Reset Network Settings (total wrecking of the phone, endless booting)
    2. Erase All Content and Settings (wasted 2 hours and the final result is as above)
    3. 3.0 to 3.0.1 upgrade/jailbreak/unlock
    4. Different Regional Settings
    5. Airplane mode with Wi-Fi on - no improvement
    6. iPhone restarting

Some details if needed:
    1. Jailbreak with redsn0w-win 0.8 (Cydia only), same behavior as with 0.72
    2. Unlock with ultrasn0w 0.91, but same behavior as with older versions of ultrasn0w

The odd and ugly:
    1. BossPrefs says that Wi-Fi is OFF even though in Settings is appears as ON. If I turn it ON in BossPrefs, the next time I run BossPrefs it still shows as OFF...
    2. Reset Network Settings or Reset All Settings cause a total screw up of the phone - could be because of the jailbreak procedure, although I think I saw other jailbroken users to reset their settings with no problems...
    3. Yesterday, during the numerous Restore procedures (after the Reset Settings break-downs) the Wi-Fi was working sporadically (otherwise I would be unable to download and install ultrasn0w after the jailbreak), and after I Restore the phone stuff from iTunes's backup it stops working again...
    4. Even though it was working, it was still shaky, running once out of five attempts, at one point I thought I lost the phone - neither Wi-Fi nor modem working...

A little history:
    I might be wrong but I think it stopped working after installing a rather expensive and bulky application named iGo My Way...
    However, I have to admit that the phone was not jailbroken properly last time (even before installing iGo) since I installed both Icy and Cydia, and later I was advised that I should not do this as there is a bug in redsnow that corrupts the partition if both are installed.

This resulted in my inability to install anything from Cydia - I was getting an odd error message, ending with "probably a dependency cycle"... Anyway, at this time the Wi-Fi was working just fine until I installed the iGo (I believe)...

A scream for help:
    Well, after spending almost 24 hours struggling with it, with no particular improvement, unless the above facts finding, I give up - and hope that anyone of you gurus can help with a bit of advice, if I didn't bore you to death with the above long text... Please, help! What could I be missing or failing??
    Last edited by stoyan_mar; 2009-09-01 at 09:32 AM.

i'm having the same problem have you solved this already? how?

Maybe upgrading to 3.1.2 will fix it. Also, you might have downloaded a slightly corrupted firmware file(it happens) so try deleting it and redownloading it from iTunes.

Nope, still the same problem. At a point I thought it could be a hardware issue. However, there are a couple of facts that are odd and suggest that there is something wrong with the software:
    1. BossPreffs says the Wi-Fi is OFF, and even if I turn it on, the next time I launch it it still says "OFF". This means that it somehow "senses" that there is something wrong with the Wi-Fi configuration.
    2. Even after upgrading to 3.1.2 there is still the bloody Icy icon even though I didn't install it ever since I made this costly mistake back in one of the 2.x.x upgrades. This means that there is something wrong in the jailbroken partitions and nothing so far has been able to solve it for me - no success when restoring with a factory firmware in iTunes - after jailbreaking the Icy icon is still there... aaaarrghhhhhh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stoyan_mar View Post
    Nope, still the same problem. At a point I thought it could be a hardware issue. However, there are a couple of facts that are odd and suggest that there is something wrong with the software:
    1. BossPreffs says the Wi-Fi is OFF, and even if I turn it on, the next time I launch it it still says "OFF". This means that it somehow "senses" that there is something wrong with the Wi-Fi configuration.
    2. Even after upgrading to 3.1.2 there is still the bloody Icy icon even though I didn't install it ever since I made this costly mistake back in one of the 2.x.x upgrades. This means that there is something wrong in the jailbroken partitions and nothing so far has been able to solve it for me - no success when restoring with a factory firmware in iTunes - after jailbreaking the Icy icon is still there... aaaarrghhhhhh!!!
    when you upgraded I suppose you hit the "restore" button in itunes, not the "update" button and you told itunes to set the phone up as a completly new phone? because all the wifi stuff is stored in itunes backups as well. if the problem lies somewhere in your configuration files, then everytime you restore from backup you restore the problem back onto your phone.

the icy-thing makes clear that somehow you didn't do a real restore of the phone, but rather your media partition was untouched.
    I suppose, since you need an unlock, you updated to a custom firmware? If possible (that means if you have a working iphone sim for that iphone) try to activate the phone through itunes not hacktivate it through pwnagetool. also, see if the wifi works before you install ultrasn0w.

basically: make sure you really create a FRESH iphone and see if it works. make a new custom firmware, restore to it and see what the wifi does. if it doesn't work then it's highly likely that your hardware is faulty.

Default Solution - Which worked for me
    Hi guys. I also had the same problem and tried everything for two days and nothing worked. After this i just tried an other thing and WIFI worked perflectly fine. I poped out my SIM card and then connected to WIFI. It worked fine. Then again i inserted the SIM and the WIFI continued to work. This worked for me and hence you can also try.

Default Icy thing... Grrrr
    @BlackWolf:
    thanks for the suggestions! I never used Update. As per the jailbreak instructions I always use Shift+restore in order to avoid updating the baseband.
    Wi-fi doesn't work even BEFORE I restore settings from a backup. I tried not restoring settings at all - still no Wi-Fi...
    The Icy thing is really annoying, it keeps showing up even after I have restored to an original 3.0 firmware and then jailbreaked with Cydia only selected in redsn0w...

same thing happend to me nothing fixed it. take it to the apple store theyll replace it
    No signature spam or links... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stoyan_mar View Post
    @BlackWolf:
    thanks for the suggestions! I never used Update. As per the jailbreak instructions I always use Shift+restore in order to avoid updating the baseband.
    Wi-fi doesn't work even BEFORE I restore settings from a backup. I tried not restoring settings at all - still no Wi-Fi...
    The Icy thing is really annoying, it keeps showing up even after I have restored to an original 3.0 firmware and then jailbreaked with Cydia only selected in redsn0w...
    OMG u mean icy wouldnt die even after a full restore!!! Dfu mode then a full restore should delete EVERYTHING then reinstall the firmware from scratch. Maybe the firmware u are using has icy in it and u need to make a new copy without icy.