Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GPS on 3g..Needs some form of internet or not??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default GPS on 3g..Needs some form of internet or not??
    Ok, i have checked a few posts but dont seem to see a difinitive answer from a reliable source. I have a 3g iphone on 3.0,1 FW. It is J/B. I have an simple app called GPS lite to just see if i can get GPS. I have no data plan on my phone for any type of internet services. I can never get a GPS signal (satalite) So my question is this......Does this phone pick up GPS just like a regular GPS unit or do you NEED to have an internet conection for it to function?

you do not need internet. not even on the 2G, and it doesn't even have a GPS receiver built in. but you DO need to be under clear sky for the GPS to work properly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have been under clear sky and have still never been able to get a signal. Also how can you get it on the 2g if it has no reciever other than triangulation? But the 3g does have a reciever for GPS satelites...right?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

It does and it does not need a data plan

Quote Originally Posted by Sortilege View Post
    I have been under clear sky and have still never been able to get a signal. Also how can you get it on the 2g if it has no reciever other than triangulation? But the 3g does have a reciever for GPS satelites...right?
    yeah, it does it over triangulation without gps, and even that doesn't need a data plan of any sort. it just needs an active connection to a cell tower (e.g. you actually need a cell signal) but there is no data tansmitted whatsoever.

if you can't get your gps to work maybe it's some broken hardware, let apple look into it. under clear sky and with a cellular connection it should always find your position, maybe not 100% correct but it should work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

Sortilege (2009-08-30)