Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tether to a computer without iTunes?

Default Tether to a computer without iTunes?
    Is it possible to tether an iPhone to a computer which does not have iTunes installed? I cannot install iTunes on my work pc and have no Internet connection either so if possible I'd like to be able to tether up my phone to use as a modem, but cannot find a way of doing this without iTunes installed - and Bluetooth isn't an option.

Thanks in advance

I think iTunes isn't required to tether. Besides, newer versions of windows have the iPhone driver onboard. But I think tethering uses standard modem drivers anyway, so this should work. I never tried it though since all my computers have itunes

Cheers. From what I've read it seems you do need iTunes if you want to tether via USB. The problem I have is getting the drivers on there, I get asked for the administrator password when I try to install them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rycall View Post
    Cheers. From what I've read it seems you do need iTunes if you want to tether via USB. The problem I have is getting the drivers on there, I get asked for the administrator password when I try to install them.
    Problem is that drivers always go into the windows directory, and on your work pc you are probably not permitted to write there. so in case you really need iphone drivers to tether (which would seem strange to me) I think you're out of luck