Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: First Time Caller with Cydia Storage Size Problem!

Default First Time Caller with Cydia Storage Size Problem!
    Hi all, first time caller and new iPhone user. My 3g 8gb phone came from a relative fully loaded and working flawlessly. today, I installed ScreenSplitr and noticed that Cydia had 4 updates for various apps. So I just said Ok, Update it all. Then, I noticed that my Other Space jumped by 60% and is now 3.9gb...way too much, as I have 2.2 gb of apps and then there is not much left for the rest. Is there a way to safely return things the way they were with 1.2gb of Other? thanks so much!!!
    Last edited by herojig; 2009-08-27 at 06:14 AM. Reason: fatfingers, little keys

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

What apps do you have installed from cydia?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

herojig (2009-08-27)

There's no telling what it would be. Dont ever just "hit update all" without checking out what the updates are.

A restore would be your only bet to clean up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

herojig (2009-08-27)

Thanks

Yea. You wont be able to revert back without starting all over again

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

herojig (2009-08-27)

hi, thx for the INSTANT reply. this site rocks. Well, there are too many apps to list, unless there is an export app lists feature Most of them I have no idea what they do, but I am afraid to delete anything. I do remember the updates were for Saurik, Winterboard, and BigBosssomething?, and one other that is beyond my recall abilities. This should be easy to figure out, what had updates since yesterday? Ha! I don't know what a restore is however. I've been asking around since I got the phone for a foolproof way to backup EVERTHING Up before I began messing with things, but I could not find an answer for the system stuff. Like on my macs, I just use CCC and never have a worry. I don't see the same kinda thing for the iPhone. Well, thx again for the nube help.
    Last edited by herojig; 2009-08-27 at 06:23 AM. Reason: please put spell check as u type in the iphone and bigger keys!

Thanks

Best thing to use is Pkgbackup

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

herojig (2009-08-27)

thx for the tip, stealthb, the problem is on the media folder drive for sure, as I can see that in diskaid. i wish i had a tool to see and sort by file sizes, as i think something big got put there that should not have. the root folder did not increase in size, if that's a clue...

Problem solved! For some reason on the last sync, iTunes synced all my movies playlists! It was not checked, but I saw them in diskaid and deleted. All is well now...i think i need a 3gs 32gig Cheers, and thx for the great help!!!
    Last edited by herojig; 2009-08-27 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I wish there was an easy way to sort by sizes also. It doesn't sound like a problem caused by Cydia tho. When is the last time you synced?

EDIT: Glad you found it!
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 2009-08-27 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost