Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone on old AT&T 'unlimited data' plan

Default iPhone on old AT&T 'unlimited data' plan
    Just got this message from AT&T:

"AT&T FREE MSG: We need you help regarding your iPhone account. Your iPhone does not currently have the necessary data plan required for all iPhones. Please call us by Sept. 14. Just Dial 611. We appreciate your business."

In 2007, before the iphone came out, I signed a contract with AT&T, which included unlimited 3G data for $20 per month. I got an unlocked iPhone 3G in 2008 and have been using it ever since.

Obviously, they don't like me using the iphone on this plan, but the contract I signed never mentioned which devices I could or could not use on this unlimited 3G plan. What do you think will happen if I ignore their message?

AT&T will make you pay the $30.

"Please note: AT&T is Apple's exclusive carrier partner for iPhone in the United States. An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the United States and does not cover international data usage and charges. If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee."

Quote Originally Posted by Nickfranco5 View Post
    AT&T will make you pay the $30.

"Please note: AT&T is Apple's exclusive carrier partner for iPhone in the United States. An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the United States and does not cover international data usage and charges. If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee."
    Where exactly is that quote from?

I just got the message telling me I need to call and choose an Iphone plan. What was your outcome? did you end up contacting them and changing or did you ignore and they did nothing at all? or?

I haven't done anything yet. Still hoping to find a way to get around this. Maybe by changing IMEI?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ not possible

I've herad that IMEI can be changed with ziphone for the older iphones. Is there any barrier to the creation of an updated version which would work on the 3g iphones?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Nobody has ever done an IMEI spoofer for 2.x and up.

would it be possible to downgrade to 1.x on an iphone 3g? Or would that cause me to lose the 3g functionality?

I got the text from at&t as well. My wife and I are running on the 1st gen iPhones and really have no use for the EDGE service considering we don't use it unless absolutely necessary.

There's really nothing you can do. You have an iPhone, you have to have the service required through AT&T.

I am having the same issue. I am using a iphone EDGE, the first generation. I dont use internet across the network, i just use it as a regular phone with an ipod. Are they gonna shut off my phone or just make it so i cant use the network. jailbroken and unlocked.