Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ibes and ibss question

Default ibes and ibss question
    hello i recently used a restore method to capture my ibec and ibss files so i could later unlock however i just got a new phone through waranty do i have to retrieve these 2 again? also has a new method besides the restore one been developed so i can get these easier?
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

Thanks

Yes you need to do it again if you got a different phone.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

do i have to use the restore method or did someone make a tool?
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro
    do i have to use the restore method or did someone make a tool?
    A guide was posted by kill3rz that explains how to capture the iBEC & iBSS files using a capture utility called iBEC and iBSS Grabber.exe, making the process a little easier. You still have to restore twice (Restore and then DFU Restore) to capture the iBEC & iBSS files. It's a pain, but you only have to do it once for each iPhone 3GS you own. You will need these files for future firmware updates, but always wait for the DEV TEAM to say it safe to restore the new firmware.

iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS files guide
    Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 by kill3rz

Hello everyone,

In this short guide I am going to be showing you how to save your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS files. The iBEC and IBSS files are really important for you to have if you are planning on jailbraking your device now or when apple updates the iPhone firmware. The Dev Team and GeoHot already said it was essential for everyone to save these files to use with their tools. When iTunes starts the restore process, they contact Apple servers to generate signatures just for your device. Its important you get these signatures for your phone before a new version of the software comes out. And to eliminate this limitation you have to generate a unique certificate for your phones iBSS and iBEC.

This process of grabbing the iBEC and iBSS files is very long but i found a great tool which will help us do it quick. This tool is an IBEC and IBSS grabber which you can download it directly from here.

http://www.difrnt.com/projects/purpl...SS_Grabber.zip

This is the shortest and best method to use.

Follow these instructions
    1. First select the location where you will want your files to be saved.
    2. Click on the Start Watching Button.
    3. To obtain the iBEC files you will have to connect your iPhone 3GS to the computer, open up iTunes, hold the Shift key on your keyboard and press the Restore button and look for the iPhone 3GS firmware which you downloaded on your computer. Watch the iPhone 3GS restore while doing this the iBEC and iBSS grabber will save the iBEC files to your computer.
    4. When the iPhone 3GS is done restoring, iTunes will ask you if you want to restore from back up or set up as new. If you don't want to lose any of your information then just restore from back up.
    5. Now is time for you to grab the iBSS files certificate. For this you will have to put your iPhone 3GS on DFU Mode so we can restore the iPhone 3GS one more time. So, put your iPhone 3GS on DFU Mode once is done, iTunes will pop up saying your device is on recovery mode. Once again hold down the Shift key and press the Restore key, then find the iPhone 3GS firmware and wait for the iPhone 3GS to restore. Once is done you should have both the iBEC files and the iBSS files in the location you selected to save them.
    6. It is really important for you to keep these files safe if you are planning on jail breaking your device each time a new firmware comes out. My advice will be to save these files on a flash drive so you won't lose them.

Thanks for reading I hope this was helpful for you guys.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2009-08-20 at 07:07 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

you have to restore in any case, cause that's the whole point of the procedure - itunes generates these files only during a restore.

if you are on a mac however, you can use a bash-script described on iclarified.com to obtain the files very easily during the process.