Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2G Questions

Default iPhone 2G Questions
    I have some questions about an iPhone 2G I plan on buying for my brother..

1. Is $170 a decent price for an iPhone 2G 8GB that is in supposedly perfect working condition and good physical condition?
    2. I know how to jailbreak/unlock, and want to know what pay-as-you-go / pre-paid options he can use (Boston area). I know that, recently, T-Mobile shut down their Sidekick plan or whatever, so I want to know what works.

What is the best pre-paid option my brother can use with unlimited data? Minutes and texts aren't too important because I plan on using Google Voice.

3. I have the 3GS, and was wondering what are the main differences between them?

I know my iPhones pretty well, so I know:
    - No 3G
    - No GPS
    - Slower and less RAM, but ok I guess
    - Different look obviously
    - Non-flush headphone input
    - Different battery lives, etc.

What other differences are notable, especially with jailbroken stuff?
    Like, "in the maps app, the 2G cannot do ___"

Thanks, and I appreciate it.

Thanks

Hi there Jay,

Well in Regard to your questions, Let's get started.

1. I would say that's a fair price, Probably some cheaper if you search harder, But it sounds like a fair price.

2. I've used both Prepaid/Plan/Flex-Pay options on the iPhone, You can basically do anything on the iPhone accept for the Internet (I believe). Texting, Phone calling, And all of that is still useable, Just the mobile internet is useful. I don't know if he's planning on texting that much, But When i used T-Mobile's prepaid service, If you buy a $100 Card, I believe you get an extra 25% or something bonus minutes, And all of the phone calls only cost $0.10. The credit valid for a year, Just something to possibly consider.

Noteable about the 2G being jailbroken-

-More functionality and more things to customize.
    -Free Apps
    -Expiereice

Just depends, In my opinion, I recently have been seeing around on some adds (Dunno if they have it in Boston) The Boost Mobile $50 Unlimited Data plan. I don't think It's sim card compatible though :/ But who knows. Just pointing those out

Good luck!
    iPhone 4 16GB Jailbroken/Unlocked for T-Mobile USA with all the bells and whistles.

If I helped solve your problem, Press "Thanks!" for me ^^

some more differences 3GS compared to 2G:
    - 2G cannot use stereo bluetooth headsets
    - 2G cannot use voice control
    - 2G cannot use apple headsets with volume control buttons
    - 2G cannot use bluetooth for Peer2Peer-Gaming (but there are no apps for this anyway, so whatever )
    - 2G cannot send MMS, though it can be activated on jailbroken phones via hack
    - 2G is MUCH more silent, pretty much annoyingly silent, when it rings, but it can be made louder with a needle, you will find plenty of tutorials when you search in google
    - 2G comes with a docking station, which is pretty cool
    - no nike+

... that's all I can think of right now

Alright, thanks a lot guys! I think I will try to get my brother an iPhone 3G though.. I don't want to get him anything too old.

Quote Originally Posted by JayXL14 View Post
    Alright, thanks a lot guys! I think I will try to get my brother an iPhone 3G though.. I don't want to get him anything too old.
    I think it's worth it, especially because the price should be pretty much the same.
    surfing is a lot faster and if he ever wants to use a bluetooth headset or a non-apple-headset than the 2G sucks. though I find it prettier

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    I think it's worth it, especially because the price should be pretty much the same.
    surfing is a lot faster and if he ever wants to use a bluetooth headset or a non-apple-headset than the 2G sucks. though I find it prettier
    2G in my opinion also is a very much better looking iPhone than the new ones :P. If your just for Bleutooth, Than it's worth upgrading.
    iPhone 4 16GB Jailbroken/Unlocked for T-Mobile USA with all the bells and whistles.

If I helped solve your problem, Press "Thanks!" for me ^^