Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T pushing data plans... or else!

Exclamation AT&T pushing data plans... or else!
    I just got a text by AT&T:

"We need your help regarding your Iphone account. Your Iphone does not currently have the necessary data plan required for all iphones. Please call us by Sep. 14."

I actually called right away and what costumer service told me blow me away, I was told that my device was going to be render inoperable if I didn't get the data plan, in a few words they want to push me to pay for a data plan that I don't need/use.
    I'm very happy with using WiFi for my data needs but AT&T is not happy about it.
    Any ideas why are they trying to intimidate folks by saying that the Iphone will be render useless?

i can't believe there are two threads on this EXACT subject, right next to each other, you both must have gotten that text at the same time, and just freaked out and came on modmyi lol

anyways, of course they want you on their data plan, att makes almost all of their money on the iphone contracts, not from the actual phone. so if you didn't pay them for the phone, and your not paying them for their iphone plan, they obviously will be pissed.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Lol, the other thread was not there when I was posting mine!

My Iphone is a 1st. gen and I never got any messages about the data plan, but far as I'm concern I will never get the data plan since I like WiFi much better... the first time I used the Iphone without a data plan cost me $25 for a freaking video on youtube...

Quote Originally Posted by regzgz View Post
    Lol, the other thread was not there when I was posting mine!

My Iphone is a 1st. gen and I never got any messages about the data plan, but far as I'm concern I will never get the data plan since I like WiFi much better... the first time I used the Iphone without a data plan cost me $25 for a freaking video on youtube...
    well with the first gen iPhone, u can change the imei to an older phone so ATT doesnt know ur using an iphone. (only works on the 1st gen though)

i dont know exactly where to find a tutorial but i think it involves ziphone, so look into it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Can only change the IMEI on firmware 1.1.4 or below on 2G phones.

forgot that part.. oops..
    but i think there is tutorials on how to downgrade back to 1.1.4, change the imei then go back up to 3.0 with the false imei

http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/6...ange-imei.html

thats if u wanna go through all of it though
    Last edited by tonester1; 2009-08-18 at 07:13 PM.

Default Or Else What?
    This isn't good for AT&T. After I leave my wi-fi zone in a few months I would have got a data plan and signed a new contract. Now I'm probably going to go to another carrier.

All About the $$$
    Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign

The Family iPhone 2G , iPhone 3G ,Iphone 3Gs , Iphone 4
    13" MacBook ( Black )

iPhone? More like MyPhone mahgninnuc93's Avatar
    Thanks

I got the same thing. I am going to play stupid, put my sim into another phone that I am getting from a friend who works for AT&T, and tell them I have been tethering with this one and that is why my data usage is so high. I am paying for a data plan. Just not the one THEY want me to. So I am not in breach of contract. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    I agree with DMI...all about the kwan...$$$$