Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backing up Contacts Question?

Default Backing up Contacts Question?
    I use Outlook for all my e-mails and would like to back up my iphone's contacts without mixing them with my Outlook contacts.

Is this possible? If so, can someone point me in the right direction to learn how to get it done?

Thanks;

well, if I'm not mistaken itunes does a backup. but you can make your own backup by download /private/var/mobile/Library/AdressBook/ from your iphone via SSH :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

allanes5 (2009-08-18)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    well, if I'm not mistaken itunes does a backup. but you can make your own backup by download /private/var/mobile/Library/AdressBook/ from your iphone via SSH :-)
    Thanks for the help. I copied the address book folder via SSH from the right side (Iphone Side) to the left (Computer side).

I tried opening the adrees book folder to see it's content but I guess I can't. Anyway the iphone address book folder has two files:
    1) AddressBook.sqlitedb
    2) AddressBookImages.sqlitedb

I'm guessing I did this correctly and I have backed up my iphone's contact successfully.

If I ever need to restore the iphone and I copy the addreess book from the computer side to the iphone side I should have all my contacts exactly as they were before. Does this seem correct?

yeah, that's about it.
    there are applications out there than can open sqllite files, but if those two files were downloaded that's completly fine.

if you want to put your backup on your phone, just copy the folder back on the iphone and overwrite the one that is there. settings the filerights of the folder and the files in it to 0777 is always a good idea as well (in most programs that is done by right-clicking the folder, selecting properties or info and then setting the file-rights to 0777)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

allanes5 (2009-08-19)

Thanks BlackWolf.

I looked for the file rights but did not find them (I'm on Windows BTW).

Is it bat if I overwrite the files without setting the filerights to 0777?

Quote Originally Posted by allanes5 View Post
    Thanks BlackWolf.

I looked for the file rights but did not find them (I'm on Windows BTW).

Is it bat if I overwrite the files without setting the filerights to 0777?
    well, it depends a little.
    problem is, sometimes if you overwrite files, the filerights are set too low. that means that, for example, you have no write access to the adressbook. so next time you wanna change or add a contact, it's simply not going to be saved because the iphone can't write to the file. so yeah, it's pretty important.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

allanes5 (2009-08-19)