Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wanting to load playlist on iPhone that will be given as a gift...help?

Default Wanting to load playlist on iPhone that will be given as a gift...help?
    Ok, so I did up this custom colorware'd 3Gs for my girl's birthday and I came up with a last minute idea to download a bunch of songs and make up a playlist of those that remind me of her. My idea was to load them up on the phone as a surprise.

1. We share the same itunes account but use different computers
    2. She doesn't know I even got the phone so I can't activate it using her sim before hand
    3. Could I activate with my sim using my computer, download the latest firmware update, synce with the playlist, etc... then just have her put her sim in and sync it with her computer later without a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Anybody? I'd just try it but don't want to find out she can't sync this to her own computer later or find out all the songs I downloaded won't sync back and she ends up losing them.
    Last edited by iPhonics; 2009-08-18 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Just steal her phone for a few hours, your a guy for Pete's sake; invent a lame excuse (are we men good at that or not?) to get your little hands on her phone, the rest is easy...

haha no, that's not an option believe it or not. No one touches her phone but her and if I took it for an hour she'd be thinking I'm up to something and I'd ruin the surprise. So I just want to see if this can be done another way...

Quote Originally Posted by iPhonics View Post
    Ok, so I did up this custom colorware'd 3Gs for my girl's birthday and I came up with a last minute idea to download a bunch of songs and make up a playlist of those that remind me of her. My idea was to load them up on the phone as a surprise.

1. We share the same itunes account but use different computers
    2. She doesn't know I even got the phone so I can't activate it using her sim before hand
    3. Could I activate with my sim using my computer, download the latest firmware update, synce with the playlist, etc... then just have her put her sim in and sync it with her computer later without a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Anybody? I'd just try it but don't want to find out she can't sync this to her own computer later or find out all the songs I downloaded won't sync back and she ends up losing them.
    yeah go with option 3

Sync it up with your SIM, put the music on there, then turn it off, put it back in the box. she'll put her sim in, wont have to activate, and she'll be super happy that her b/f bought her the perfect phone.

enjoy the putang that night lol
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

hahaha ok my only problem is that when she goes to sync it up with her computer, won't it ask her to delete the music (ie: "your phone is currently synced with another itunes library....")

I basically have to buy at least 20-30 of the songs I'm putting on that I don't already have and if she goes to sync it and they want to delete them, I'm going to be upset. We use the same itunes username (ie: everything I download on mine and she downloads on hers gets charged to my credit card)... but they're synced to different computers and different library's.

hahaha ok my only problem is that when she goes to sync it up with her computer, won't it ask her to delete the music (ie: "your phone is currently synced with another itunes library....")

I basically have to buy at least 20-30 of the songs I'm putting on that I don't already have and if she goes to sync it and they want to delete them, I'm going to be upset. We use the same itunes username (ie: everything I download on mine and she downloads on hers gets charged to my credit card)... but they're synced to different computers and different library's.
    If you have access to her computer, you can change the itunes key to let it sync between the two computers without it deleting anything. (or to be really good, use her computer, find out her key, then put her key onto your computer. all your stuff will have to resync, but now you two can just use each others computers without having to delete anything.

Or you can just buy everything and sync the new phone on her computer, if you can get onto it for an hour or so.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Ok.. not to say those aren't all good options, I've already thought of that. The problem is that she's away at school and don't have access to her computer. In fact it's even harder for me to get a hold of than her computer. The absolute only way I could even pull that off would be to have her figure out the itunes key and tell her I need it, but she'll think the worse and I really don't even want to do that if I don't have to.

Now I could buy everything on the phone and download it over wifi without syncing it to any computer. However, I want to make a playlist and name it and set the songs up a certain way. If there is a way to do that, then it'd be a decent solution..

Ok.. not to say those aren't all good options, I've already thought of that. The problem is that she's away at school and don't have access to her computer. In fact it's even harder for me to get a hold of than her computer. The absolute only way I could even pull that off would be to have her figure out the itunes key and tell her I need it, but she'll think the worse and I really don't even want to do that if I don't have to.

Now I could buy everything on the phone and download it over wifi without syncing it to any computer. However, I want to make a playlist and name it and set the songs up a certain way. If there is a way to do that, then it'd be a decent solution..
    will she be using another ipod, besides the iphone you bought her?

She's already using another iphone 3G for ATT and 2G with a Tmobile SIM. However she'll be replacing the 3G with this custom 3Gs to actually sync with iTunes.

You MAY be SOL, but there maybe some more insight from someone smarter.

The only thing i can think of is just do everything on your computer, give her the phone as a present, and if you can get access to her computer before she syncs, change the key on her computer so it wont delete anything. Even if it does delete everything, she'll be able to recover the songs on her computer and sync it back up, i just think it'll lose the actual playlist.

Well I'm not sure of that though. Because she's downloaded songs that I've seen in my iTunes receipt list and thought, oh I'd like that. I go to download it and it wants to charge me again.

Is there any easy way to get her iTunes key? In other words, what can I tell her to do in order to get the information I need? That way, if there are no other options, then I'll change my iTunes key to hers. That sounds easier than the other way around.

Well I'm not sure of that though. Because she's downloaded songs that I've seen in my iTunes receipt list and thought, oh I'd like that. I go to download it and it wants to charge me again.

Is there any easy way to get her iTunes key? In other words, what can I tell her to do in order to get the information I need? That way, if there are no other options, then I'll change my iTunes key to hers. That sounds easier than the other way around.
    didn't know that about the itunes music, your probably right, its pretty messed up that apple would do that.

Theres nothing you can really say, unless you just say you want some of her music, and dont want to re buy them, or something like that, would rather just be able to sync with her computer as well, blah blah.

There are programs that just read the itunes key, you'll have to do alittle google searching, i'm feeling a bit lazy lol

Thanks but there has to be another way to get this done. I appreciate your help but it seems no one else seems to have an opinion to add.

anybody out there with the magical solution to my problem?

I know somebody wants to make my life better, anybody?

Well oooooook I guess I'll have to give up on this idea then.
    Last edited by iPhonics; 2009-08-19 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost