Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is my "usage" for battery life normal

Default Is my "usage" for battery life normal
    So based off the given info wondering if my battery life is poor like others here claim theres is? Here is what my phone reads and its just about dead, this is off a full charge.

Also i used my gps pretty heavily today, played games, was over 3g and wifi pretty much the whole time of usage, all while checking mail and browsing the internet as well.

Is this normal for a full charge based off my uses?

Usage:
    5 hours, 15 minutes

Standby:
    6hours 9 minutes

What phone are you using?

I'd be pretty pissed if i only got 6 hours of standby. because right now

I have 5 hour 36 mins of usage, 23 hours 33 minutes of stand by, and am at 56%.

3gs
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

I have 3gs and used my phone for a few network stuff I am sitting at 54%.

Usage: 2 hours 18 Min.
    Standby: 8 Hours 33 Min

Is your phone new? If so, it took about 2 weeks of conditioning to actually get more than 4 hours of use out of it on mine.

are u guys jailbroken? and do you guys got push enabled?

ive got pushmail enabled, and in those 5 hours or so of my usage i was using it heavily with gps and internet browsing

think i should take this sucker back? btw phones a 3gs had it a few months, also note my usage is never like a couple hours here and there, then it goes in standby over night (where u get a lot of standby time) i usually use it from the morning to evening/night quite a bit then ill need a charge
    Last edited by bobright; 2009-08-18 at 07:03 AM.

i'm jailbroken. got push enabled, and wifi. I only keep location services off. and my brightness is pretty low too

GPS REALLY uses your battery, just leaving location services on drains some major battery.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

he says he was using gps, 3g, wifi and played games the entire time. that's probably the four things that suck your battery the most.

in fact, your usage is pretty damn good if you really used those things the entire time! gps and 3g suck your battery empty like crazy. the ADVERTISED battery time on 3g is 5 hours, and those numbers are normally way too high. consider yourself lucky you have such a good battery!

What has your signal been like today? The difference I have had is crazy. As an example at home I get crap signal - one or two or three bars if in in the right place and its not in my pocket. If im in all day with everything turned off (3g, push, wifi, bluetooth, location) im lucky to last 24 hours standby with just an hour or two usage.

Have been away twice and both area's I was getting full signal most of the time. I managed to get 1 day 12 hours standby with 4 hours 45 mins usage (mostly email and web browsing and IM+) that was also with push turned on!

Quote Originally Posted by liv3wire View Post
    What has your signal been like today? The difference I have had is crazy. As an example at home I get crap signal - one or two or three bars if in in the right place and its not in my pocket. If im in all day with everything turned off (3g, push, wifi, bluetooth, location) im lucky to last 24 hours standby with just an hour or two usage.

Have been away twice and both area's I was getting full signal most of the time. I managed to get 1 day 12 hours standby with 4 hours 45 mins usage (mostly email and web browsing and IM+) that was also with push turned on!
    Your saying while your phone had more service it was using less battery?

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    Your saying while your phone had more service it was using less battery?

Interesting...
    My guess would be sometimes it was "searching for service" AKA no bars. Dosent that drain battery? ive heard different things.

Other wise its pretty crappy battery.

As far as the OP battery usage i would say its above average considering all the gps, internet browsing and whatnot.

im also gonna turn off location services and see how mine improves.
    Last edited by D to the M; 2009-08-19 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by D to the M View Post
    My guess would be sometimes it was "searching for service" AKA no bars. Dosent that drain battery? ive heard different things.

Other wise its pretty crappy battery.

As far as the OP battery usage i would say its above average considering all the gps, internet browsing and whatnot.

im also gonna turn off location services and see how mine improves.
    yeah i could see if the phone is constantly searching for service, it probably will use more battery.

on top of the location services, look into the dramatically increasing performance 3.0 thread, it helps with battery too.