Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone error 28

Default iphone error 28
    hi,
    i have an iphone 3gs 16gb. Two days ago it freezes during a normal scrolling of the menu, now i cannot restore it. Everytime i connect it to itunes trying to restore the firmware 3.0 (or 3.0.1) i get error 28.
    I have tried on windows and on osx, with the same result.

Previusly i jailbraked my iphone with redsn0w, and everything was working fine. I tried to re-jailbreak it, with no success, I get "waiting for NAND to appear".
    Anyone knows how can i fix this issue?
    Thank you,
    Ingo
    Last edited by ingo86; 2009-08-18 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Have you tried to put the phone in DFU mode and then restore?

Default yes
    yes, i get the same error.

Error 28 is a hardware error so most likely you will want to return it to Apple for a Warranty replacement. This error is new to iTunes 8.2, on previous iTunes and with earlier firmware you would just stay stuck on Waiting for iPhone - basically iTunes is getting no response from the main iPhone board. Repeated attempts may eventually get it to restore, but as this could be down to an underlying hardware issue your best bet is to return it for Warranty replacement.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

thank you..i will try with the old itunes then i see what i can do with apple..it's strange however because my iphone is not dead,i can access it with irecovery for example..it really seems like a software error..

BUMP...This is not a hardware issue. I am experiencing the same error and problem on a 2g iphone of mine and have stumbled across many more people with the same problems on the apple.com forums. This has to be a software problem I will continue to examine it but I want to know if anyone has made progress
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Hope you find something, I haven't had much luck. What I have found is that this error is close to impossible to repair by software or a restore. Brick in big letters is what I have found

I agree with you almost 100% on the Brick. I still enjoy troubleshooting the crap out of it until I find a solution however. The fact that I have found so many people with the same issue shortly after 3.0 was released leads me to believe it is more than just a hardware problem....I will let you know what I find out

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Thanks

I hear ya, I have run into this this more in the last few months than ever before. All these errors in the 20's a death.

So Ive seen lol...I think I just read through almost every single thread and your name was stamped all over most of them. I think I even joined you on one recently

Thanks

So are these "20's" errors only with jailbroken phones? Maybe this is apples way of saying "dont jailbreak or you will have to replace your phone"

I managed to kick a 2g out of "28 Error" with iTunes (kept getting it for around 40 tries using iTunes 8.2.1.6)by installing an earlier iTunes version (7.7) on a clean XP install (handy to have access to multiple computers with multi boot os's for this). I let 7.7 iTunes download firmware 2.0.2 and install it, the first time it started to install the firware on the iphone and then caused a BSOD. The second attempt actually completed but gave a 16** error, can't remember the exact one but I think it is just a baseband mismatch. After this connected to my main system with iTunes 8.2 and firmare 3.0.1 installed no problem. Could have been just luck, but certainly another option to try if all else fails.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

i have tried everything but no use

Got 2 3G iphones out of error 28 messages today. The trick I used and what I am using:
    MBP on 10.6.1
    iTunes 9.02
    Redsn0w 0.8

I forced the iPhone 3G out of recovery mode into DFU mode while plugged into the computer. Then I ran redsn0w on the 3g. The jailbreak completed but froze on the rebooting screen after the process. I then forced the phone into a hard reset by holding the home and power buttons. Phone came back showing the recovery mode screen. I then restored the phone using iTunes and a 3.0.1 ipsw. The restore went all the way through this time instead of throwing the Error 28 message.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -screen-shot-2009-10-30-10.16.03-pm.png  

iPhone? More like MyPhone mahgninnuc93's Avatar
    Thanks

Melech,

what is MBP 10.6.1

I tried this method on my 2g (1st gen) it doesnt work.

10.6.1 was the version of Mac OSX I was currently running.

@hobodude666- keep trying. Also, if you need help, let us know where you are stuck. Saying "it doesn't work" does not give us any information.

hey melch, i reattempted your method heres what i did:
    placed phone into dfu mode from recovery mode while connected to mac (like u said)
    used redsnow 3.0 firmware and it stays stuck on "Jailbreaking data"(on the phone screen) and never gets passed that, then hard reset, used itunes but still got error 28.
    do you think im hard resetting at the wrong time?

Not sure. Try injecting redsn0w again and try to wait as long as possible to make sure the jailbreak info gets uploaded.

when its jailbreaking it stops and goes right back into recovery mode after awhile

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast