Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone error 28

Is it in recovery or DFU? Black screen?
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Default What happened before you got the 'error 28'?
    Hi,

I'm gathering some intelligence here trying to find common patterns.

What did you do to the iPhone / iPod Touch before getting the 'error 28'? Did you jailbreak it? Did you downloaded any app from iTunes afterwards?

Melech
    I have the exact same problem with my iphone 3g. My iphone doesn't boot, the itunes logo and the cable keep popping up. When I try to restore to firmware >3.0 I get error 28. When I try to restore to older firmware I get error 1600. I tried your method involving redsn0w, hard reset and restore to firmware 3.0.1 it gives me the exact same error 28. Do you have any idea how this is possible?

I believe still that this is a hardware issue and at some point in the process you are able to overcome the error 28 message and restore. However this is completely at random and there is no way to predict how long or how many times it will take to get it out of this error. All I can recommend is keep trying and switch computers and try again if you can.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

nice geohot vs. jobs signateure, Melech518
    If i helped, don't be afraid to hit the thanks button. It won't bite!!!!

How may I hack you?

Thanks you, but it is actually a member of our MMi family, not jobs

I was able to fix this error 28. Here's my way:

Bring to apple store.
    They check serial.
    Since its OOW.
    Pay $199+tax = new iPhone 2g.

That would not be a solution. That my friend is called quitting...

PS- You should have only paid $149 for a OOW replacement 2G. The 3G however is $199 for OOW replacement.

lol I thought it was jobs
    If i helped, don't be afraid to hit the thanks button. It won't bite!!!!

How may I hack you?

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    That would not be a solution. That my friend is called quitting...

PS- You should have only paid $149 for a OOW replacement 2G. The 3G however is $199 for OOW replacement.

My iPhone is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?
    Apple offers two service options for iPhones that are not eligible for warranty service.

iPhone Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program
    If your iPhone requires service only because the battery's ability to hold an electrical charge has diminished, Apple will replace your battery for a service fee of $79 plus applicable taxes. For more details, please refer to the iPhone Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program Frequently Asked Questions.
    Out-of-Warranty Service

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will replace your iPhone with a new or refurbished iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.
    iPhone 3GS Out-of-Warranty Service
    16GB & 32GB $199
    iPhone 3G Out-of-Warranty Service
    8GB, 16GB $199
    Original iPhone Out-of-Warranty Service
    4GB, 8GB & 16GB $199

*All fees are in US dollars and exclude applicable taxes

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. Replacement phones have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone coverage, whichever is longer. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.

Apple - Support - iPhone - Service FAQ

question 7

it wud not be called quitting. because error 28 is a hard-ware issue. not firmware, not software - hackint0sh
    worst case scenario: error 28 happens when moisture or water effects the nand.

If you can fix it without resorting to a replacement phone via software the of course by all means try every known combination of the following fixes:
    different firmware, every known itunes, every known dfu recovery mode on and off method known

if your still stuck just get yourself a replacement instead. save yourself the headache.

Good Luck
    Last edited by hobodude666; 2009-12-01 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks
    Melech, Do you think this method would work on an ipod touch? I've tried it with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Got 2 3G iphones out of error 28 messages today. The trick I used and what I am using:
    MBP on 10.6.1
    iTunes 9.02
    Redsn0w 0.8

I forced the iPhone 3G out of recovery mode into DFU mode while plugged into the computer. Then I ran redsn0w on the 3g. The jailbreak completed but froze on the rebooting screen after the process. I then forced the phone into a hard reset by holding the home and power buttons. Phone came back showing the recovery mode screen. I then restored the phone using iTunes and a 3.0.1 ipsw. The restore went all the way through this time instead of throwing the Error 28 message.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rugbrn's Avatar
    Thanks

My girlfriend recently dropped her phone in the toilet, we immediately dried off the phone and put it into a ziplock bag filled with rice. The phone was continuously booting and turning off. We let it stay in the bag over night. The next day I plugged the phone in and got iTunes error 28. This happened over and over and over and over... I tried most of the tricks I found and was about to call it quits. Then through my own frustration I just kept attempting a restore in iTunes (around like 15 times), then, boom, it restored and the phone was back. I am rehacking the phone right now, and so far so good.

Maybe it was a fluke but it I'm not complaining one bit!
    I think, therefore I Jailbreak.

Mac Book Pro

Default i thinki i got it
    Ok lets start with a story. I was in cuba doing an operation and my budy left is ipod touch in this tent on the deck during a strom to make he woke up to find it in a pool of water. I could see the rain in the screen the next day i set it out to dry and resotred it when we got back home... The only issue with it was the screen was dim and wifi was down but it worked like a charm..
    I got the error 28 on my buddies iphone 2g before the i had i jail brokne it with redsn0w to version 3.1.2 and it seems that he updated and messed the hack up. When i got his phone to look at it i realized that it was at the apple logo and i was getting this error.
    I didnt get the error after i tried to downgrade to 2.2.1 using itunes 8.0.2 instead the progress bar went all the way full and it just sat there i think im going to send this phone back to the stone age to see if i can get something out of it. Just a thought

I have an ipod touch that i got a day ago and im trying to downgrade it from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 so i can jailbreak it with blackra1n but i keep getting error 28 when im restoring it with the 3.1.2 firmware. can someone plz help?

so you cant fix error 28 in any way??????
    Last edited by Halawa; 2010-05-02 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

dug up this thread after doing a search. Is anyone still getting 28 error code? I woke up this morning and my 3GS had a blank black screen and wouldnt turn on so I went to restore it and got error code 28 (Hardware problem) Anyone know of a known fix for this? or should I just keep trying to restore and hope I get lucky

Quote Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
    dug up this thread after doing a search. Is anyone still getting 28 error code? I woke up this morning and my 3GS had a blank black screen and wouldnt turn on so I went to restore it and got error code 28 (Hardware problem) Anyone know of a known fix for this? or should I just keep trying to restore and hope I get lucky
    This happened to me this morning. I woke up and the screen was black and it did not respond.

Plugged into itunes and it was in recovery mode and had to restore but keep getting error 28.

Any news on this error? is it hardware issue ?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcode View Post
    This happened to me this morning. I woke up and the screen was black and it did not respond.

Plugged into itunes and it was in recovery mode and had to restore but keep getting error 28.

Any news on this error? is it hardware issue ?
    As far as I know it isnt a hardware error I was able to get it to restore after a few tries. I was on 3.1.3 at the time and tried to update and restore which it refused to do. Then I tried restoring to 3.1.3 pointing to sauriks server and that ended up working for me, probably because i edited my hosts file and forgot to change it back, but thats what ended up working for me

Try restoring to an old firmware if u have old shsh blobs on sauriks server. This is what I did and eventually it worked

thanx iŽll try that

well it is working now.

first I downgraded all the way down to 3.0 then it came to life but stuck in recovery loop so I restored again to 4.0.1 still working but stuck in recovery loop so I used tinyumbrella to kick it out of the loop. worked.

so now the phone is fine again.

Thanx for the tip snicklefritz
    Last edited by dreamcode; 2010-09-21 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thank god, downgrading with sauriks server worked. While reading here, I thought I might have a big problem now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast