Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: So I talked to an apple employee last night...

Default So I talked to an apple employee last night...
    I was out drinking at a bar with friends and I went out to smoke a cig and start chatting with a guy. He mentions he works for apple in the marketing department, so I start talking to him about jailbreaking and what his thoughts are on it.

Right away I can tell he is getting defensive and tries to dominate the conversation without letting me refute the lies he was telling me. His argument was that apple spends tons of money and resources to regulate their applications to ensure that nothing malicious will ever reach the end user. I quickly bring up that they just had to roll out an update because that exact thing happened, people could get their phones taken over by a text message. He quickly shifts the conversation away from that argument but still keeps his anti jailbreaking mentality. Says it doesn't really matter your 1/20th the market so he nor apple care about it and we already but the product. He says all this with a condescending tone like he won some battle and I lost because I bought their product. I mention it is actually +8% based on what just came out a couple of days ago. He says I have know idea what I am talking about and that apple has the ability to see who jailbreaks their phone and that we are not getting away with it and it will end in the coming months. Yeah this low level marketing guy is privy to all this information.

Then he mentions the biggest lie of all that if I jailbreak I can't get applications from apples app store. I laugh in his face and ask him what program would he like to see me download. He never gives a response and says that he has to get going but no hard feelings. The night goes on and the bar closes and I chat with him again outside the bar just before I leave. Same bs happens but I ask him for some contact information(wanted to direct him to this forum so he could explain what he was saying last night so we could all tear him apart. Only offered a company email that wasn't his saying I could send my questions there. We end the conversation and go our seperate ways.

I got a good laugh at this guy. He was just so dedicated to being apples PR man even outside his job. This gave me a good insight into some of their mindset.

Lmao good read hah they where probably watching him lol lier

Wohho jailbreakinggg

Thanks

Another "Genius"...
    Respect your elders.

i hear what your saying but you cant tarnish them all with the same brush... i bet some of the workers understand our needs

although he seems like a joker, regardless

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SL4VE View Post
    i hear what your saying but you cant tarnish them all with the same brush... i bet some of the workers understand our needs

although he seems like a joker, regardless
    Yeah, I understand that as I have met Apple/AT&T workers with jailbroken phones, it's just the majority of them don't know anything outside of what they're trained to know.
    Respect your elders.

I agree you'll find both ends of the spectrum, everytime I go into an Apple store I end up talking to an employee and showing them my phone in all its jailbroken, themed goodness.....and I have never had anyone be an azz to me because of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

The Asst. Mgr at the Apple store I go to here has his phone jailbroken and is obviously very cool with it.

Yeah I got an engineering friend that was my brother's roommate in college and he works on the iphone. From what I've been told he headed up the development of the compass. He is a standup guy and obviously very smart. He doesn't have a jailbroken phone but he could give a **** if I brought one to his place. He likes seeing what is up and coming.

The problem I had with the bar guy was he was so misinformed and talked so confidently and condescendingly while he worked for the marketing department which i'm sure is left in the dark on the engineering side of the company. Anytime I refuted his comments with something technical he would say well I don't know, I work in marketing. LOL

Thanks

lol guys like that annoy me
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

I'll just throw the analogy of modding your car. It's like a mustang owner getting all pissy because someone put a borla on it or something.... who cares its not your car.

Interesting read, it seems like that employee was brainwashed to say whatever Apple wants them to say. I mean don't they realize that Apple isn't watching them 24/7 a little jailbreak talk is ok.

Or maybe he doesn't know anything about jailbreaking and was tought from the wrong people

Thanks

Apple tells their employees what they want them to know.
    Outside of that, most of them have no idea what's going on.

On the other hand, I have met a lot of apple employees who have JB and UL phones The first time I went to the genius bar me and the genius spent a good 10-20 minutes talking about jailbreaking and themes and stuff before he replaced my phone
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Marketing "Genius" + Disinformation on Jailbreaking = Apple Tool

From Apples point of view, it would make sense for him to maintain his mis-informed perspective though. I mean, he is in marketing!
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista