Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Change Default iPhone Keyboard to Swype/Shapewriter

No you cant

everytime that I see posts about people saying that they want this makes me fall out of my chair out of laughter because you need to be a really good programmer like wyndwarrior to make swype for iphone

Quote Originally Posted by Manesag View Post
    everytime that I see posts about people saying that they want this makes me fall out of my chair out of laughter because you need to be a really good programmer like wyndwarrior to make swype for iphone
    wow that was a helpful comment wasn't it...

lol I think it's funny dont judge me isn't it

Bump for one more person who would pay 4.99 for a j/b to make this default keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by iNT3Rv3NTiONZz View Post
    You cant just look at compiled code inside an app, if that were possible it would be unimaginably easy to crack software. You could just copy all the code, delete all checks that it makes and then recompile it, complete fail...
    And even if you could you cant just paste it into the iphones files and hope for the best, you'd need to "hook" it onto springboard using mobile substrate..

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Actually, you can look at compiled code inside an app. And as far as cracking applications, that is actually how it's done. You bypass the checks and recompile. The problem is that it's impossible to reverse-engineer a binary executable and generate the original source code. You instead end up with assembly code. This is what makes things so complex and difficult. In the case of our apps here, trying to do things this way would be too complex and not feasible. It's the wrong approach.

Here's an example of what happens when you try to decompile a program. Below is the source code of an example program followed by the assembly code that you'd get if you try to decompile it.

Original C code:
    Code:
    /* A small example program used to demonstrate assembly code
    - DVS01 */

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) {
    	int i, c, limit = -1, matches;

printf("Hello.  How many times should I get excited? > ");

/* Keep taking input until the user provides a positive integer */
    	while((matches = scanf("%d", &limit)) != 1 || limit < 0) {
    		printf("Enter a valid positive integer.\n> ");
    		if(matches != 1) {
    			/* Eat the invalid input */
    			while((c = getchar()) != '\n' && c != EOF);
    		}
    	}

for(i = 0; i < limit; i++)
    		printf("Whee!\n");

printf("Thank you for participating.  I hope you're as excited as I am.\n");

return 0;
    }
    And now we see the assembly code:

Code:
    	.file	"example.c"
    	.section	.rodata
    	.align 4
    .LC0:
    	.string	"Hello.  How many times should I get excited? > "
    	.align 4
    .LC1:
    	.string	"Enter a valid positive integer.\n> "
    .LC2:
    	.string	"%d"
    .LC3:
    	.string	"Whee!\n"
    	.align 4
    .LC4:
    	.string	"Thank you for participating.  I hope you're as excited as I am.\n"
    	.text
    .globl main
    	.type	main, @function
    main:
    	pushl	%ebp
    	movl	%esp, %ebp
    	subl	$24, %esp
    	andl	$-16, %esp
    	movl	$0, %eax
    	addl	$15, %eax
    	addl	$15, %eax
    	shrl	$4, %eax
    	sall	$4, %eax
    	subl	%eax, %esp
    	movl	$-1, -16(%ebp)
    	movl	$.LC0, (%esp)
    	call	printf
    	jmp	.L12
    .L3:
    	movl	$.LC1, (%esp)
    	call	printf
    	cmpl	$1, -4(%ebp)
    	je	.L2
    .L4:
    	call	getchar
    	movl	%eax, -8(%ebp)
    	cmpl	$10, -8(%ebp)
    	je	.L2
    	cmpl	$-1, -8(%ebp)
    	jne	.L4
    .L2:
    .L12:
    	leal	-16(%ebp), %eax
    	movl	%eax, 4(%esp)
    	movl	$.LC2, (%esp)
    	call	scanf
    	movl	%eax, -4(%ebp)
    	cmpl	$1, -4(%ebp)
    	jne	.L3
    	movl	-16(%ebp), %eax
    	testl	%eax, %eax
    	js	.L3
    	movl	$0, -12(%ebp)
    	jmp	.L8
    .L9:
    	movl	$.LC3, (%esp)
    	call	printf
    	leal	-12(%ebp), %eax
    	addl	$1, (%eax)
    .L8:
    	movl	-16(%ebp), %eax
    	cmpl	%eax, -12(%ebp)
    	jl	.L9
    	movl	$.LC4, (%esp)
    	call	printf
    	movl	$0, %eax
    	leave
    	ret
    	.size	main, .-main
    	.ident	"GCC: (GNU) 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)"
    	.section	.note.GNU-stack,"",@progbits
    As you can see, things can get complex very quickly. Reverse engineering is the wrong way to approach this problem.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dvs01 For This Useful Post:

PuppyPR (2011-05-19)

WyndWarrior actually implemented this into the iOS the other day! If u are jailbroken go to Cydia and add his repo. wynd.x10.mx/repo and then install Swype. Hope you guys enjoy it, I know I am!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Propain111 View Post
    WyndWarrior actually implemented this into the iOS the other day! If u are jailbroken go to Cydia and add his repo. wynd.x10.mx/repo and then install Swype. Hope you guys enjoy it, I know I am!!!
    Awesome! Except it doesn't work. Everytime I try swiping the letters, it crashes the app I'm in. Tried it with Mail, Notes, and Safari. Is this dependent on an iOS version?

Quote Originally Posted by iamjamieq View Post
    Awesome! Except it doesn't work. Everytime I try swiping the letters, it crashes the app I'm in. Tried it with Mail, Notes, and Safari. Is this dependent on an iOS version?
    I'm not sure. I added it manually lastnight before he put it on the repo. I am running iOS 4.3.3. U can try to manually install it. Download the .deb here. http://www.mediafire.com/?tzmcv9es4x513gr once u have it SSH into your iPhone and go to /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall Copy the .deb file there and then just reboot*your device. If the*Autoinstall folder is not inside /var/root/Media/Cydia then you can create yourself. Once u have it installed, it currently does not work in app store apps or cydia and there is no blue line as of yet. WyndWarrior said he is working on fixing the bugs. Thus is extremely beta. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Propain111 View Post
    I'm not sure. I added it manually lastnight before he put it on the repo. I am running iOS 4.3.3. U can try to manually install it. Download the .deb here. Swype-0.1.0.deb once u have it SSH into your iPhone and go to /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall Copy the .deb file there and then just reboot*your device. If the*Autoinstall folder is not inside /var/root/Media/Cydia then you can create yourself. Once u have it installed, it currently does not work in app store apps or cydia and there is no blue line as of yet. WyndWarrior said he is working on fixing the bugs. Thus is extremely beta. Hope this helps!
    I tried installing the .deb file directly, and it worked, in that it installed fine. But the Swype still isn't working. Not sure what's wrong. I'll just wait and see if WyndWarrior can get it more stable. Thanks for telling me about it anyway. It's a big step in the right directiong. WTG Wynd!

There is now a new hack in Cydia for Swype How To Get Swype on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by chiragsharma5 View Post
    There is now a new hack in Cydia for Swype How To Get Swype on iOS
    Thanks, but that's what Propain111 posted. It wasn't working for me.

This is a nice first stab at a Swype-style keyboard, unfortunately it's accuracy still needs a lot of work. There are many optional words which one may be typing with any given pattern, and the WyndWarrior version is not yet sophisticated enough to present options or learning the way Android Swype or ShapeWriter handle that issue. Will be nice to have the Multi-app functionality of WyndWarriors work in the polished package of ShapeWriter at some point.

Default Agree
    I finally got it installed, using the instructions here: Top Hidden Jailbreak Gems in Cydia [iPhone] (putting the deb file in myself didn't work) but it puts in the wrong words even if I'm very careful to land on the right letters.

Quote Originally Posted by jvanderh View Post
    I finally got it installed, using the instructions here: Top Hidden Jailbreak Gems in Cydia [iPhone] (putting the deb file in myself didn't work) but it puts in the wrong words even if I'm very careful to land on the right letters.
    It's in BETA fool. Give Wyndwarrior a chance. Atleast we have swype on here.
    Bartle Doo

I had installed version 0.3.0 and it was working fine, with word options and all, but I found its accuracy still low, and there issues when i was typing regularly. I think Wynd Warrior has done a great job with this tweak, but I had to remove it. I'll try the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by JSkywalker217 View Post
    It's in BETA fool. Give Wyndwarrior a chance. Atleast we have swype on here.
    I realize that it's in beta. If occasional crashing were the only problem, I'd use it and be grateful for it. However, the point of Swype is that it's faster than tapping keys. iSwipe is much slower than tapping keys, and it is lightyears slower than Swype. The developer is only going to get data to improve the app if people use it, and few people are going to use it if it isn't faster than the original keyboard. I don't mean to be discouraging or nasty, but honestly, I don't see much potential. If it gets much better, I will be happy (nay, thrilled) to both publicly apologize and pay through the teeth for the app. But honestly, I doubt it. I think a lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into developing Swype, and that it's going to be hard to imitate. I dearly wish that Apple would just pay the piper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123