Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SIM not supported, iPhone wont sync in iTunes

Cool SIM not supported, iPhone wont sync in iTunes
    I have a 3G jailbroken/unlocked iPhone. Everything on phone has been working fine until one day when I tried to sync to iTunes and received the infamous message of:

"The sim card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iphone. please insert the SIM card that came with your iphone or visit a supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card"

Everything on phone is still working correctly, it is just that I cannot sync phone. I purchased the phone already jailbroken/unlocked limiting my knowledge on where to go. Airplane mode (same error message) and removing SIM card (no SIM card detected) do not work. Any other thoughts?

Thank you VERY much in advance for your help

Just run redsn0w and unlock. Go to iclarified.com for tutorials if you haven't done it before. Takes 15 minutes tops.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrhoward For This Useful Post:

pheobe (2009-08-16)

I currently have ultrasn0w on my phone... it is ok to run redsn0w as well? do I need to do anything first or just run it normally?

thanks SO much for your help!!

I had the same thing happen to me on my 3 gs. Instead of unlocking again I inserted an AT&T pay as you go chip. iTunes recognized the chip. I then took out the chip an inserted the one that was giving me the not supported message and solved the problem.

Let me know if this works for you too!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to allanes5 For This Useful Post:

pheobe (2009-08-16)

Quote Originally Posted by pheobe View Post
    I currently have ultrasn0w on my phone... it is ok to run redsn0w as well? do I need to do anything first or just run it normally?

thanks SO much for your help!!
    Yeah you'll have to reinstall ultrasn0w after jailbreaking with redsn0w, the restore erases everything so backup first. Follow the iclarified tutorial and you should be fine.

Might want to try an AT&T SIM first though as the other commenter suggested.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrhoward For This Useful Post:

pheobe (2009-08-16)

Quote Originally Posted by pheobe View Post
    I have a 3G jailbroken/unlocked iPhone. Everything on phone has been working fine until one day when I tried to sync to iTunes and received the infamous message of:

"The sim card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iphone. please insert the SIM card that came with your iphone or visit a supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card"

Everything on phone is still working correctly, it is just that I cannot sync phone. I purchased the phone already jailbroken/unlocked limiting my knowledge on where to go. Airplane mode (same error message) and removing SIM card (no SIM card detected) do not work. Any other thoughts?

Thank you VERY much in advance for your help
    the person that unlocked it for you, didn't hacktivate it, which isn't a "bad" thing, if you have a At&t sim laying around, or if you can get in contact with one, ( i know it'll be a little difficult without your phone lol) but all you have to do is activate with an at&t card, and your set.

if you can't do that, back up everything, do a complete DFU restore back to stock, then rejailbreak (it will hacktivate automatically) and reunlock.

The last person didn't "hacktivate" because some people have been having issues with push ( i was too), but activating with an official sim, then jailbreaking/unlocking is how you fix that issue.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

pheobe (2009-08-16)

Thank you for all of your help! I purchased an ATT sim card today and viola! Thanks again

Hi Phoebe,
    I am having the same problem, the difference is that I am in Argentina, and my phone was brought from the States already jailbreak-ed and Unlocked, with no Sim.
    I've already installed a local sim and it works perfect but my Itunes syncing is not.
    I can get my brother to get me a brand new sim from AT&T back from the US, the ones that are sold in Ebay for 5 bucks (NEW UNUSED 3G SIM CARD SIM-CARD for CINGULAR ATT AT&T). My question is do I need to register that AT&T Sim or I only have to inserted as it comes and run Itunes and Voila!?
    I will appreciate any help someone can give me regarding this.

Cheers!