Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does SBsettings drain ur battery?

Default Does SBsettings drain ur battery?
    I need all the battery I can get. And since i installed this it dies ALOT faster. Is their a way to make my phone's battery last longer?

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

SBSettings itself doesnt drain the battery its all the processes it watches. but ive found that turning off SSH in the toggles helps the battery. then whenever you do need to use SSH you can just turn it back on

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sTrAnGe mOdS For This Useful Post:

ZacGoesRawr (2009-08-13)

Thanks

I have never noticed a drainage in battery from SBSettings, if you need to have a longer lasting battery, just make sure most things like wifi and even 3G are turned off (which you can toggle through SBSettings) when your not using them, and simple things such as lowering brightness does the trick to.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    how do you turn off ssh?

you can turn of ssh via sbsettings. BUT: ssh does not drain your battery, that's a myth. it's a daemon and when it's idling in the background it does not take battery power!

Thanks

SBSetting Toggles are there so you can turn things off such as Wifi, 3G, and SSH, and you can change brightness etc. Great app. Pointing out the obvious i know but I had no idea what SBSettings was when i firstly got my iPhone haha

Quote Originally Posted by ZacGoesRawr View Post
    I need all the battery I can get. And since i installed this it dies ALOT faster. Is their a way to make my phone's battery last longer?
    restore as a new phone
    don't install anything you don't need, like winterboard.
    turn off push, and location services.
    from in sbsettings, make sure there aren't any processes just running the background for no reason.
    free up memory every once in a while.
    use sbsettings to quickly see whats running, and disable anything you aren't using at that time.

basically sbsettings has helped my phone with its battery. I charge my phone every 3 days, and it never even gets to 10%.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    basically sbsettings has helped my phone with its battery. I charge my phone every 3 days, and it never even gets to 10%.
    every 3 days? i guess you never play with your phone, use internet, or talk to or text anybody on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ekidd View Post
    every 3 days? i guess you never play with your phone, use internet, or talk to or text anybody on your phone.
    funny but true

before jailbreak mine had the potential to last a day and half but with jailbreak its normally dead about now... but i mess around with it a lot more.

Thanks

I think in most cases, when people say "The battery life is so bad etc ever since I jailbroken," and the reason for this is because we all play with our phones a load more when we have the extra options a jailbroken phone gives

Some people have reported that the percentage battery indicator, when enabled through SBSettings, has caused battery drain.
    I have not had this problem myself.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

While we are all on the subject, instead of starting a new thread, I have a question about brightness, I know a high brightness drains battery, but does it also drain more while the screen is off? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but with all the weird background stuff the iPhone does you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    restore as a new phone
    don't install anything you don't need, like winterboard.
    turn off push, and location services.
    from in sbsettings, make sure there aren't any processes just running the background for no reason.
    free up memory every once in a while.
    use sbsettings to quickly see whats running, and disable anything you aren't using at that time.

i do/done all this and it still drains 1% every 7 mins or so...
    i turn push,wifi,3g,ssh,location services all off....

but i do have sb settings and winterboard

Lol activating the percentage doesn't make it drain faster, it only makes you paranoid and scared watching it tick every second you use your phone...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

SB Settings and winterboard do not drain battery. They are mobile substrate plug-ins. Even having SSH on does not drain battery b/c unless there is a connection the process remains dormant and takes up zero CPU cycles. When you think battery drain think CPU cycles. Unless an app is running in the background or causing something to happen (widgets, animated themes, videos) it does not take up battery power.

Something has got to be draining my batter though, i was reading FML for like 5 minutes and it dropped 5%. i dont have winterboard but did have wifi on. I turned it off as i dont really ever need it. 3G is fast enough.

Sometimes i think it has to do with my dock charging it. I use a third party stereo dock.

Sometimes i think its because i jailbroke it (and yeah i probably do use it a lot more since i jailbreak it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    SB Settings and winterboard do not drain battery. They are mobile substrate plug-ins. Even having SSH on does not drain battery b/c unless there is a connection the process remains dormant and takes up zero CPU cycles. When you think battery drain think CPU cycles. Unless an app is running in the background or causing something to happen (widgets, animated themes, videos) it does not take up battery power.
    leaving SSH on, for SURE drains battery. As does winterboard. i could understand on paper if they technically aren't supposed to drain battery, but real life testing is the real test. and i took 3 days to carefully see what programs where hurting my battery, and what weren't. HapticPro was horrible for my battery, as was inspell, even having openssh installed (but off) was draining my battery faster than it just not being installed. winterboard not only slowed down my 3gs into a 3g, but i lost a solid 2-3 hours of usage. Maybe you are right that these programs do not use more battery while the phone is in idle, but while you are using the phone, some of these mobile subtract programs really hurt the battery. I dont know about you, but i rather have a black background and an ugly dock, if my phone lasts a little longer through the day. (backgrounder and sbsetting showed no decrease in battery performance, location services was the biggest battery drain)

I feel for all of you that batteries are draining to fast, your phone is pretty much one of the most important things in your life, getting stranded somewhere, and realizing your phone is dead, or soon to be dead. ( idunno about you, but if i get lost in the middle of no where, i rather my phone say 53% than 23%)

Keep playing around with it, i say do a full new restore, and only install the things you NEED, such as ultrasn0w, or something or that nature. and just test it out for a day or two, i went from barely 9 hours of usage, to well over 20 hours. just by a full restore and only install the stuff i need. (buy an ipod touch if you want to have a cool looking device, keep your phone simple, fast, and easy to use, I know some of you apple fanatics are going to hate me, but coming from a blackberry, the iphone stock can't do simple tasks as fast as a blackberry, adding all these silly pictures and icons just makes things worse, isn't it embarrassing when a girl is giving you her number, and your phone takes like 20 seconds just to get to the add new contact screen? where as on the blackberry, you literally have to unlock the phone and start typing in numbers.)

Let the flamage began, I know some of you on here believe winterboard is THE reason for owning an iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by D to the M View Post
    Something has got to be draining my batter though, i was reading FML for like 5 minutes and it dropped 5%. i dont have winterboard but did have wifi on. I turned it off as i dont really ever need it. 3G is fast enough.

Sometimes i think it has to do with my dock charging it. I use a third party stereo dock.

Sometimes i think its because i jailbroke it (and yeah i probably do use it a lot more since i jailbreak it.)
    have you done a full cycle of the battery since you've upgraded to 3.0?
    I remember when i first installed 3.0 on my 3g 100% to 20% only took like 4 hours, but then from 20% to 0% took another 4 hours. After i completely killed it, and charged it at my computer over night, the readings were much more accurate the next day. ( you shouldn't have to turn off wifi, I feel you bought this great phone, but you are forced to turn off all of its features?, screw that. It just takes some time to get things right, I have everything i want installed on my phone, and also use everything the Iphone is supposed to do, my wifi is usually always on, my push is always on, the only thing i keep off is location services)
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2009-08-15 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2009-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

^^^^ You sir are on crack. You tested for 3 whole days?! OMG!!! I've been testing for almost 2 YEARS! I've unlocked and jailbroken well over 1,000 iPhones. (thats not a typo) You have to use logic and common sense. An installed app that uses no CPU cycles DOES NOT use any power. It's physically not possible. If you install 50 apps from the app store your battery usage will be THE SAME because none of these are designed to run in the background. Guess what.. SB Settings and Winterboard also do not run in the background and do not take up a single CPU cycle to function. Any "testing" you've done with SSH cannot be accurate because the only way would be to jailbreak the phone... install ONLY SSH. Go from a full charge to dead without doing ANYTHING else on the phone and repeat the same test without it. Battery drainage comes from USAGE. The bottom like is someone with a jailbroken phone picks it up to mess with it several hundred times a day on average to change themes, open Cydia, tweak settings.. etc. Someone with a stock phone doesn't care b/c it always looks and acts the SAME.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2009-08-15), skiptowncat (2009-10-29)

Do you think things displayed on the lockscreen (IE lockinfo, intelliscreen, quickcalender) drain battery faster, if so why?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast