Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does SBsettings drain ur battery?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Some people have reported that the percentage battery indicator, when enabled through SBSettings, has caused battery drain.
    I have not had this problem myself.
    This is I think true. I am monitoring this issue and the Battery numeric meter quite often LIE. It goes down very very fast and if plugged back in to the charger, it will just jump back to where it should be. Say it drained fast down to 45%, plug it back in, its back to say 98%. Its freaking wrong somewhere. It may NOT be bigBoss SBSettings, it could be an apple numeric bug. However, I restored my iPhone to iTunes back to v3.1.2 and seems the numeric battery was fine. But when I reJainbroke it and installed SBSettings, the numeric battery problem went back again.

Be carefull of this problem. when it gets down to the Red Zone, plug it back in. It will put your iphone on drain mode and die. Could Possibly forever !!! I never let mine but you never know, so carefull guys !!!!

I've been having some battery drain issues on 3.0.1 in the last week also. First I thought it might have been all the tweaks and widgets I had installed, keep in mind that I bought my 2g around the fall in 2007 and I use it for everything. So I restored to 3.0.1 and jailbroke with redsnow, and just installed sbsettings and openssh. Once again my battery drained quickly, down to 40% over night. At this point I figured it was just time to replace the battery as it had probably worn out. But I tried one more thing, I again restored but did not jailbreak and now my battery doesn't drain quickly at all. I'm stumped, I definitely want to re-jailbreak, is there a log file that I can get from my phone saying whats using up power and whats not? Any help appreciated. Thanks fellas.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Since last, I've gone thru Jailbreakinga and iTunes standard restoring to see what seems to be the problem.

Seems the culprit is somewhere between Jailbreaking and SBSettings. From the SBSettings toggles, untoggle all the toggles to get it to normal - then, after it resumes to the Springboard, toggle the battery meter from the iPhone Settings>Usage>Battery Usage.

The problem seems to be a FAKE battery drain affecting the power function on the iPhone. Once it reaches the red zone, it works as if its battery is really drained. However, if you plug it back in to your charger, the battery jumps back up to where it supposed to be at. Then unplug your charger and it will remain where it is, the correct battery drain. This does not happen if the iPhone was not Jailbroken. It only happens once Jailbroken and with SBSettings or possibly Jailbroken. Its so erratic that cant tell if its the Jailbreak or SBSettings causing it.

HOpefully our team devs and bigboss can figure this out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello. I tested and restested and tried to find out the culprit on my iPhone 3GS v3.1.2.

The culprit is the FREE Extension called SBSettings version 3.0.5 (Constant Power)/SBSToggleSwitch. I have unjailbroken and Jailbroke my phone a few times and remove one app at a time and let it drain and found out the only application/extension that constantly draining the battery is SBSettings. Once removed it completely reboot and charged it back to 100%, my battery drain went back to its normal iPhone level. Its been stable already for 4 days. Fully charged at night and I wake up at 98%. Its amazing and I am so relieved.

The previous SBSettings earlier than 3.0.5 had no problem. Version 3.0.2 is running on my other 3GS iPhone and its not giving problems like the SBSettings 3.0.5.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jthunder View Post
    Hello. I tested and restested and tried to find out the culprit on my iPhone 3GS v3.1.2.

The culprit is the FREE Extension called SBSettings version 3.0.5 (Constant Power)/SBSToggleSwitch. I have unjailbroken and Jailbroke my phone a few times and remove one app at a time and let it drain and found out the only application/extension that constantly draining the battery is SBSettings. Once removed it completely reboot and charged it back to 100%, my battery drain went back to its normal iPhone level. Its been stable already for 4 days. Fully charged at night and I wake up at 98%. Its amazing and I am so relieved.

The previous SBSettings earlier than 3.0.5 had no problem. Version 3.0.2 is running on my other 3GS iPhone and its not giving problems like the SBSettings 3.0.5.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks jthunder, after I restored, I went without jailbreaking for a couple days and battery was barely draining. But I did install sbsettings and haven't had much of a draining issue, so I wonder, maybe my battery would last even longer without it. I just like the convenience of knowing which apps stay open even after closing them. Like safari and mail for example would stay open and I wouldnt know it unless I had sbsettings. That is mainly what I use it for. Just to free up ram. Thanks again for your insight.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I just turned off battery percentage and it seemed to make the battery last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by newskin View Post
    I just like the convenience of knowing which apps stay open even after closing them. Like safari and mail for example would stay open and I wouldnt know it unless I had sbsettings. That is mainly what I use it for. Just to free up ram. Thanks again for your insight.
    If you have Backgrounder installed, there's an option that will place a small badge on top of any app that's currently running in the background. Its main use is to remind you that you've got an application still open, but it can also show the badge on the built-in Apple apps if you set it to do so. However, it won't free up the memory for you like SBSettings will.

Quote Originally Posted by skiptowncat View Post
    I just turned off battery percentage and it seemed to make the battery last longer.
    Yeah, not using the numerical battery whether it was the one from battery control, sbsettings, or apple's built in numeric battery,definitely improved my battery life also. It's a shame cause it's more precise than the standard bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheManMS View Post
    If you have Backgrounder installed, there's an option that will place a small badge on top of any app that's currently running in the background. Its main use is to remind you that you've got an application still open, but it can also show the badge on the built-in Apple apps if you set it to do so. However, it won't free up the memory for you like SBSettings will.
    I was also trying out backgrounder instead of SBSettings but as you pointed out, I can't free up memory unless I enter back into those apps and hold down the home button for a few seconds. Thanks fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    @babyblue: don't wanna attack you or anything, but you don't seem to have much knowledge of computers. you are simply wrong, this is not basis for discussion or anything, it's a physical fact like Poseidon already said.

ssh does not use battery. and I have to say, if I read things like "it even uses battery when I uninstalled it" or "more used ram means more battery usage" I can't really take you serious, because that's just soooo wrong. it really is, trust me. it doesn't matter if the phone is running or locked, it doesn't matter at all. it just will not use battery. none. zero. bigboss said so, the dev team said so and everyone who knows how computers work will tell you as well.

like I said, don't feel attacked by this, I just want to let you know because you can REALLY stop testing things like that.

oh and I think I told you this in another post already: deleting the language packs neither improves battery life nor speed. I don't know why people think these kind of things, but it's just plain wrong. the iphone never even touches language packs it doesn't need. if your phone is set to english, your phone will simply completly IGNORE all other language packs.
    I mean if it makes you feel good to delete them, do that. it's less crap on the harddrive, that's for sure. but it won't help you when it comes to battery life or speed.

PS: I agree with you on winterboard. I'm not exactly sure how winterboard works, so I can't say anything about battery usage, but at least it makes your phone slower and I THINK (not sure though) that it has to use some battery power as well. but I don't know much about winterbord since I manually theme my phone. never liked summerboard, never had winterboard

NICE POST!!ThanksIt would be really great if i could get you to elaborate on how you manually manage your own themes. I am really into escaping the default apple crap...as with everything else they greedily try to control.How bout an email explaining your process? for starters, i am by nooo means a "geek" so if it is a complicated process i would pretty fair instructions. if it would be too time consuming for you to fulfill my request then dont bother...i will understand. but i am doing my very best to follow others instructions of iphone modification (so far ive been fairly successful :-))" and i am very interested as well as motivated. with that being said...thanks for the previous
    knowledge and thanks in advance if you can find the time to respond to my inquiry. [email protected]

To save even MORE battery, goto Rock and "Manage Extensions" from the "Manage" tab. Turn off what extensions you currently don't need (ie TVout, UAFaker, &c). ANd if you don't have rock, in SBSettings dropbox, click "more" and goto the "Mobile Substrate addins" tab underneath System. Turn off what you don't need. Also, when you are not using JB additions at all (such as when you are playing a game), force the device into "safe mode" (click "power" then "safe mode" in SBSettings). Lastly, use a cydia app called "Memtool". It is similar to the "Processes" widget in SBsettings, but more. powerful.

If I helped you, press the "thnx!" button!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123