Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Does SBsettings drain ur battery?

  1. #21
    Retired Moderator Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,264
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Intelliscreen is an app that runs in the background ALL the time and drains battery. It's constantly updating information and drawing in data from other apps. This is a long time known battery hog.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    ^^^^ You sir are on crack. You tested for 3 whole days?! OMG!!! I've been testing for almost 2 YEARS! I've unlocked and jailbroken well over 1,000 iPhones. (thats not a typo) You have to use logic and common sense. An installed app that uses no CPU cycles DOES NOT use any power. It's physically not possible. If you install 50 apps from the app store your battery usage will be THE SAME because none of these are designed to run in the background. Guess what.. SB Settings and Winterboard also do not run in the background and do not take up a single CPU cycle to function. Any "testing" you've done with SSH cannot be accurate because the only way would be to jailbreak the phone... install ONLY SSH. Go from a full charge to dead without doing ANYTHING else on the phone and repeat the same test without it. Battery drainage comes from USAGE. The bottom like is someone with a jailbroken phone picks it up to mess with it several hundred times a day on average to change themes, open Cydia, tweak settings.. etc. Someone with a stock phone doesn't care b/c it always looks and acts the SAME.
    You sir are on heroin. You yourself proved my point. Winterboard takes up ram, and it runs CONSISTANTLY in the background. If something is running in the background, and take up ram, I don't give a crap how much CPU cycles it takes up, it WILL use battery power. What type of logic are u thinking of? If winterboard is slowing the phone down, it is using extra resources, guess what that translates into? That's right more battery usage.

    How could u be logical and know intellisceen uses more battey because it is on all the time, yet winterboard doesn't use any more? Lmao, how much are they paying you?

    Seriously though, I understand it doesn't matter how many applications u install, but obviously winterboard isn't quite the same as a downloaded app. Doodle jump only opens when I tell it , if I had winterboard installed, even while I was typing something in safari, my theme would be loaded and ready in the memory, if it's slowing down my phone, my logic is it's using more resources, Which consumes power.

    Since I've got your attention, ( and your sooooo smart )could you explain to me why deleting launguage packs from apps increases ram, and improves battery life. I've never even used the stocks app, yet deleting it's languages packs improved my performance and battery life. O yeah because less ram being used equals less resources, which equals to a lower power requirement. Better battery life. Care to explain how winterboard doesn't use battery again?

    Edit: Just to add, when you said "The bottom like is someone with a jailbroken phone picks it up to mess with it several hundred times a day on average to change themes, open Cydia, tweak settings.. etc. Someone with a stock phone doesn't care b/c it always looks and acts the SAME."
    My phone is jailbroken so i can use ultrasn0w, i use ultrasnow so i can make and receive calls. I have a phone, so people can call me, or if i get lost or i'm stranded somewhere i can get in contact with somebody. Or if i'm bored i could text message somebody, or receive a text message about tonights party... Basically what i'm saying is, your iphone is still your phone. If my phone had black boxes as its icons, i wouldn't care, i know how to get to my phone app, i don't need it to be an icon of a retro telephone, or what ever, I need to make a phone call, not look at how pretty my springboard is. Back to requirements of a phone, the top 3 things required from a phone, Service, usability, and battery life. Whats the point of having a 500 dollar phone, that "looks all nice and hacked or tweaked or w.e the hell you are going for", that if i leave my house at 7 am, and i get into an accident at 11:30 pm on the way home, theres a chance my phone might be dead?! your response, its a iphone, their batteries suck, get a car charger. Fu&# that, my blackberry lasted for DAYS, i'm talking maybe charing the phone once a week. I don't know about you, but if I were in a sh*# situation and my car is stuck on the middle of the turnpike, and the tow truck is going to take 4 hours because its after hours, I'd feel much more comfortable knowing i had plenty of battery life, and i know know matter what, my phone WILL last me at least until the sun gets up.
    Also on your last sentence, who the hell is using their phone, and randomly in the day goes, "hey i'm gonna change my theme because i'm not feeling this one" who the hell is living their life thinking about their iphone theme first and foremost, secondly, even if you were OCD about the theme, theres no way it would go on for more then 5, 6 days, after that you've probably already got like 25 different themes, and now your 3gs is slower than your sisters sidekick. When your using your phone, and the average stuff you do is tweaking it, and changing themes n crap, you sir have no life. You should have bought an ipod, and 2 more xbox games.
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2009-08-15 at 07:18 AM.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

    Bo Troxell (2009-08-15), fella47 (2009-08-15)

  4. #23
    Hey people you allknow that its not WinterBord neither SBsettings cause we didnt had that problem with 2.2.1
    Since 3.0 has come all Appps support push so..that the problem
    Turn Push from the APPS it self to off

    Check this..
    if you are running 3.0 and have beejive of Ebuddy of IM+ and their Push is enabled...that is going to drain your Battery even While its charing...Its neveer going to get fully charged.
    You have to put your Messenger programs to EXIT when you press home button...otherwise it will keep try getting online...
    That also count for your other PUSH APPS...turn the PUSh of the APP it self to OFF..

  5. #24
    Retired Moderator Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,264
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Lets hear it straight from Big Boss.. one of the most respected and knowledgeable Devs in our community:

    Mobile Substrate:
    Mobile Substrate is an ingenious mechanism that allows for apps to extend the springboard. The springboard is your iPhone desktop that controls app launching, most preferences, and locking of the device. Mobile Substrate allows you to have apps that hook into the springboard and allow springboard to do things it normally cannot do. Examples of Mobile Substrate apps include Winterboard, SBSettings, Quickgold, and backgrounder.

    In general, Mobile Substrate plugins are much better than daemons because they do not use any additional CPU or battery. They can, however, use more memory (depending on what the plugin is or does). In general, you do not want Mobile Substrate plugins installed that you are not using. How do you know what is installed? You have two options: 1) Look in /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries folder. 2) Open Cydia and start uninstalling mobilesubstrate. Do not actually uninstall this but check out the confirmation screen. It will show you all the other packages that are going to be uninstalled as a result of this action. Those are packages that depend on mobile substrate and are, therefore, mobile substrate plugins.

    iPhone battery | iPhone News, Help and Guides

    babyblue pimp = pwned
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2009-08-15 at 01:43 AM.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

    Bo Troxell (2009-08-15), Makaveli (2009-08-16)

  7. #25
    Forum Manager Bo Troxell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
     Valley of the Sun, ARIZONA ♥♥♥
    Posts
    35,207
    Thanks
    5,599
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

    Best dam posts I've seen on this forum in a while. Other than a small bit of "I can piss further than you can", (( lmao )) most informative, intuitive and excellent debate. This is what forums are about. Both have done there work, have intelligent opinions and knowledge. You have both given me a lot to think about. I have read both sides before and have my own thoughts about it.
    Was indeed awesome.

  8. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by D to the M View Post
    Do you think things displayed on the lockscreen (IE lockinfo, intelliscreen, quickcalender) drain battery faster, if so why?
    I kind of already knew intelliscreen use batter. But what about lockinfo (assuming your not updating weather or news or feeds...)or quick calender, things that dont update really but pull information from within other apps.

    ALSO:

    i wanted to update my battery usage and percentage.
    Earlier i mentioned that i lost like 5 percent while viewing FMLs for like 10 minutes. Then i had numeric enabled and wifi on...i dont have winterboard or anything like that installed (quicksms+stuff, five icons, reminder) are my notable apps i use. Also at this time i picked it up from the charging station that is also a stereo alarm clock (non apple obviously)

    I did a clean reboot and charged to 100% from my apple dock connected to my imac.

    after almost 1 hour of usage (a few phone calls, many texts, read FMLs again, checked calender, todo lists blah blah blah, standard stuf) and 5 hours of standby i am at 91%.

    I havent opened cydia or anything else at all really. The only thing different now is that ive enabled numeric battery. In about 5 more hours ill check it again and we can see where it stands.
    Last edited by D to the M; 2009-08-15 at 04:14 AM.

  9. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Lets hear it straight from Big Boss.. one of the most respected and knowledgeable Devs in our community:

    Mobile Substrate:
    Mobile Substrate is an ingenious mechanism that allows for apps to extend the springboard. The springboard is your iPhone desktop that controls app launching, most preferences, and locking of the device. Mobile Substrate allows you to have apps that hook into the springboard and allow springboard to do things it normally cannot do. Examples of Mobile Substrate apps include Winterboard, SBSettings, Quickgold, and backgrounder.

    In general, Mobile Substrate plugins are much better than daemons because they do not use any additional CPU or battery. They can, however, use more memory (depending on what the plugin is or does). In general, you do not want Mobile Substrate plugins installed that you are not using. How do you know what is installed? You have two options: 1) Look in /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries folder. 2) Open Cydia and start uninstalling mobilesubstrate. Do not actually uninstall this but check out the confirmation screen. It will show you all the other packages that are going to be uninstalled as a result of this action. Those are packages that depend on mobile substrate and are, therefore, mobile substrate plugins.

    iPhone battery | iPhone News, Help and Guides

    babyblue pimp = pwned

    I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I don't recall saying anything about Mobile Substrate, or at least nothing bad about it. If I did, or throw those vibes, I apoligize, my entire phone is based around ultrasnow, without it I'd have nothing.


    Prove to me winterboard doesn't use ram, and/or resources. And/or prove to me ram, and/or resources don't have a direct effect on power consumption.

    You say you've jailbroken 1000's of iPhone, show me your studies, I don't want to hear other peoples thoughts or some google copy and paste b.s., then an immature remark at the end. I thought we could have a civilized debate without the middle school antics.

    Edit: I never got to actually read what BigBoss wrote earlier, because i was on my phone. But I love how you proved MY point. taken word for word from your post
    "They can, however, use more memory (depending on what the plugin is or does). In general, you do not want Mobile Substrate plugins installed that you are not using."

    I understand BigBoss also means actually memory on the device, but he clearly states they do not require any more CPU power, and that great, But the debate still lies with winterboard taking up more ram, and ram being in direct conflict with battery life.

    If you want to say winterboard is only running, when you are actually seeing the icons, or using the sounds or w.e the hell you would use it for. Then how come when i'm in safari, my keyboard is laggy with winterboard installed (VERY noticeable on the 3g, or 2g). But even a 2g runs smooth jailbroken, but without winterboard.

    Now I also understand how you COULD still say, its just lag, it has nothing to do with power compution, But i rather hear it from your mouth, or at least your own intellectual thoughts...

    Re:Edit: So i followed your link in your last post... let me do a little copy and pasting.
    What To Avoid:
    This list is just my opinion. I’m not saying that these apps are dangerous or that the programmers aren’t great. In fact, some of these apps are written by Skrew, who is a very well respected developer. Also, it may be ok wth you if there is a penalty in performance for using some of these elements. Some of them are pretty cool and you may want to run them anyway. That’s fine so long as you do so with the understanding of what the price is that you pay. Anyways, here is my current “avoid” list:

    1) Intelliscreen - blah blah blah we know
    2) Kate - blah blah

    3) Video Wallpaper - While this is extremely cool, this is a battery drainer. It uses CPU to play the video wallpaper. It also uses Skrew Common. Skrew common uses mobile substrate (great!) but the plugin is huge. It’s 1.2mb for the dylib. Update Nov 13, 2008: Skrew Common has been trimmed down to a much leaner 102k as of v1.54! The same functionality can be provided by Winterboard. I would not suggest running both together.

    4) Winterboard Video Wallpaper themes - WInterboard is great. I am not suggesting to avoid Winterboard. But any themes that contain video content should not be used. The impact is the same as Video Wallpaper above.

    5) Winterboard Themes with changing backgrounds - These themes are pretty neat. But they come at a cost. The theme requires springboard to be running javascript in a timer loop that runs every 15 seconds or however often the paper changes. This will suck more battery power than normal. Also, depending on how the theme is written, it may utilize a lot of memory if all the images are cached into RAM. The most efficient theme that changes background is “Saurik” that comes with Winterboard. Also, the BigBoss Fantasy Packs have been heavily optimized to only load 10 images at once (lower memory usage), and fade using webkit which is easier on the CPU because it’s hardware accelerated on the iPhone. Still, even these can use more battery than without. (I personally do run fantasy pack #2).

    Clearly BigBoss has a relationship with Saurik, or out of respect doesn't want to criticize his program publicly, he chose his words wisely. He states that winterboard uses ram, video wallpapers more so, but if a video uses some ram, i'm SURE a photo will use some too, just not nearly as much. He states that the "Saurik" theme is the most efficient, which means, these themes ARE using resources, and all of the 3rd party themes will slow the phone down,


    And CLEARLY stated at the end, MY POINT!

    SIr, I don't usually talk smack online, its not my style, but the fact that i used YOUR reference, without any prior research, just personal experience, to own you, how could you post that remark, reference bigboss, and not read the entire blog post? you sir have lost my respect.

    Quote Originally Posted by D to the M View Post
    I kind of already knew intelliscreen use batter. But what about lockinfo (assuming your not updating weather or news or feeds...)or quick calender, things that dont update really but pull information from within other apps.

    ALSO:

    i wanted to update my battery usage and percentage.
    Earlier i mentioned that i lost like 5 percent while viewing FMLs for like 10 minutes. Then i had numeric enabled and wifi on...i dont have winterboard or anything like that installed (quicksms+stuff, five icons, reminder) are my notable apps i use. Also at this time i picked it up from the charging station that is also a stereo alarm clock (non apple obviously)

    I did a clean reboot and charged to 100% from my apple dock connected to my imac.

    after almost 1 hour of usage (a few phone calls, many texts, read FMLs again, checked calender, todo lists blah blah blah, standard stuf) and 5 hours of standby i am at 91%.

    I havent opened cydia or anything else at all really. The only thing different now is that ive enabled numeric battery. In about 5 more hours ill check it again and we can see where it stands.
    Seems to be running better right? One of your lasts posts said that you were losing 5% for only 5 minutes of wifi browsing?

    Now with 1 hour of usage, and 5 hours of standby, with only 9% usage. thats not that bad if you ask me.

    Maybe charging from an official apple power source makes a difference?
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2009-08-15 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

  10. #28
    babyblue,how do you delete the default apple stocks app and unwanted language packs from the iPhone 2g?
    I would like to increase my battery life as well.

  11. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post

    Seems to be running better right? One of your lasts posts said that you were losing 5% for only 5 minutes of wifi browsing?

    Now with 1 hour of usage, and 5 hours of standby, with only 9% usage. thats not that bad if you ask me.

    Maybe charging from an official apple power source makes a difference?
    last night i had approximately 80% battery left when i hit the rack, again with usage just as texts, kingdoms live, fml and mail and whatnot...common usage. no cydia.

    today i have a fully charged from stereo dock iphone, wifi off ready to test. Im at 91% from texts and about 40 minutes of iheartradio and an 1.46 standby. ill come back tonight and update my findings

    also apparently i had a timer running in the background for 80 hours, i wonder if that contributes.

  12. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by D to the M View Post
    last night i had approximately 80% battery left when i hit the rack, again with usage just as texts, kingdoms live, fml and mail and whatnot...common usage. no cydia.

    today i have a fully charged from stereo dock iphone, wifi off ready to test. Im at 91% from texts and about 40 minutes of iheartradio and an 1.46 standby. ill come back tonight and update my findings

    also apparently i had a timer running in the background for 80 hours, i wonder if that contributes.
    haha, i've had the timer thing, one time my phone was acting slow, and laggy, couldn't figure it out for the life of me, then i realized i've had a timer running for like 3 days lol

    If you fell asleep with your phone at 80%, i wouldn't recommend throwing it on the charger again. when you wake up, you could easily plug your phone in for maybe an hour, and have a full battery. I know apple designed the phone to stop charging for a little, then charge again, but I just feel that these batteries need to be "exercised" a little more, i've realized the people that charged their phone every night, their phone just gets used to it, and can't handle multiple days without charge, as for me, i just woke up, and i have 73% left from yesterday, i'll probably just use this up, it'll probably last me all day/night, I'll probably be able to get through all of tomorrow too.

    Quote Originally Posted by fella47 View Post
    babyblue,how do you delete the default apple stocks app and unwanted language packs from the iPhone 2g?
    I would like to increase my battery life as well.
    Follow this thread, http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...are-3-0-a.html

    You basically have to SSH into your phone, and go through every application, and delete all of the language packs, you aren't using.

    Be sure to go slowly, because i've had to restore once, most likely because i deleted a folder that looked like a language, but wasn't. Your 2g will see the biggest difference though. we did it do a 2g over here, and it gain over DOUBLE idling ram. it started at about 23-25, now it sits at about 50-60.
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2009-08-15 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

    fella47 (2009-08-15)

  14. #31
    I am still in the process of deleting the stocks app and language packs.

    My runtime memory in sbsettings displays 56mb(max was 64mb) and idle cpu usage is 70%. Is this good or bad?

  15. #32
    ok so at 912 today i was at 91% after little usage. Unfortunately i resprang from an update and lost my usage timers. almost 12 hours later im at 53% but i used my phone SO MUCH. calls, texts, game, cydia, FML)

    I would say thats pretty good to me considering yesterday i watched it from 5% in like 10 minutes.

    Also keep in mind this charge was from a third party stereo dock.

    The main difference is that i turned wifi off.

    this concludes my little test.

    everyone else please feel free to contribute.

  16. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by D to the M View Post
    ok so at 912 today i was at 91% after little usage. Unfortunately i resprang from an update and lost my usage timers. almost 12 hours later im at 53% but i used my phone SO MUCH. calls, texts, game, cydia, FML)

    I would say thats pretty good to me considering yesterday i watched it from 5% in like 10 minutes.

    Also keep in mind this charge was from a third party stereo dock.

    The main difference is that i turned wifi off.

    this concludes my little test.

    everyone else please feel free to contribute.
    What exactly did you do to the phone again? Just a restore? are you still jailbroken?
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

  17. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    What exactly did you do to the phone again? Just a restore? are you still jailbroken?
    no i didnt do a restore all i did was turn wifi off and lower the brightness a little.

    but again i dont use winterboard so that whole conversation i cant be a part of

  18. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by D to the M View Post
    no i didnt do a restore all i did was turn wifi off and lower the brightness a little.

    but again i dont use winterboard so that whole conversation i cant be a part of
    brightness makes a difference too, surprisingly, i find i can have my brightness, SOO low, like barely on, and be able to see everything fine, especially at night. sbsettings is great, for quick changes of brightness, between night and day.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

  19. #36
    @babyblue: don't wanna attack you or anything, but you don't seem to have much knowledge of computers. you are simply wrong, this is not basis for discussion or anything, it's a physical fact like Poseidon already said.

    ssh does not use battery. and I have to say, if I read things like "it even uses battery when I uninstalled it" or "more used ram means more battery usage" I can't really take you serious, because that's just soooo wrong. it really is, trust me. it doesn't matter if the phone is running or locked, it doesn't matter at all. it just will not use battery. none. zero. bigboss said so, the dev team said so and everyone who knows how computers work will tell you as well.

    like I said, don't feel attacked by this, I just want to let you know because you can REALLY stop testing things like that.

    oh and I think I told you this in another post already: deleting the language packs neither improves battery life nor speed. I don't know why people think these kind of things, but it's just plain wrong. the iphone never even touches language packs it doesn't need. if your phone is set to english, your phone will simply completly IGNORE all other language packs.
    I mean if it makes you feel good to delete them, do that. it's less crap on the harddrive, that's for sure. but it won't help you when it comes to battery life or speed.

    PS: I agree with you on winterboard. I'm not exactly sure how winterboard works, so I can't say anything about battery usage, but at least it makes your phone slower and I THINK (not sure though) that it has to use some battery power as well. but I don't know much about winterbord since I manually theme my phone. never liked summerboard, never had winterboard

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

    Poseidon79 (2009-08-16)

  21. #37
    Retired Moderator Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,264
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    babyblue... you just don't pay attention. Winterboard is a Mobile Substrate extension. Mobile substrate extensions use RAM. This does NOT equal more power consumption. Your keyboard gets laggy especially on your 3G b/c the chipset sucks and even with minimal mobile substrate apps installed you run low on RAM which slows the whole system down. Slow system doesn't mean more power consumption either.

    Now I will repeat myself since this is the part that you didn't pay attn to. Winterboard in and of itself does not use any power; however, widgets, video wallpaper and animated themes DO use additional CPU cycles b/c things are constantly changing. When you apply a keyboard theme or dialer theme or background all this does is replace png files. There is no power drain.


    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    SB Settings and winterboard do not drain battery. They are mobile substrate plug-ins. Even having SSH on does not drain battery b/c unless there is a connection the process remains dormant and takes up zero CPU cycles. When you think battery drain think CPU cycles. Unless an app is running in the background or causing something to happen (widgets, animated themes, videos) it does not take up battery power.
    Additionally, think about the following other mobile substrate extensions: Reflective Dock, 5 Icon Dock, iBlacklist, iRealSMS (or any sms app), Cydelete, Red Laser, Spotbright and YourTube. These are ALL equivalent to Winterboard as far as battery drain as they are all simply MS extensions. THEY USE NO POWER! Yes they consume RAM but that doesn't mean crap!
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2009-08-16 at 08:00 PM.

  22. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    babyblue... you just don't pay attention. Winterboard is a Mobile Substrate extension. Mobile substrate extensions use RAM. This does NOT equal more power consumption. Your keyboard gets laggy especially on your 3G b/c the chipset sucks and even with minimal mobile substrate apps installed you run low on RAM which slows the whole system down. Slow system doesn't mean more power consumption either.

    Now I will repeat myself since this is the part that you didn't pay attn to. Winterboard in and of itself does not use any power; however, widgets, video wallpaper and animated themes DO use additional CPU cycles b/c things are constantly changing. When you apply a keyboard theme or dialer theme or background all this does is replace png files. There is no power drain.




    Additionally, think about the following other mobile substrate extensions: Reflective Dock, 5 Icon Dock, iBlacklist, iRealSMS (or any sms app), Cydelete, Red Laser, Spotbright and YourTube. These are ALL equivalent to Winterboard as far as battery drain as they are all simply MS extensions. THEY USE NO POWER! Yes they consume RAM but that doesn't mean crap!
    not to forget cool Mobile Substrate addons like cyntacts, battery control and popup blocker :-) or, of course, sbsettings!

  23. #39
    Here is what i've noticed:

    I just jailbroke my 3GS 2 nights ago. The two most biggest reasons for me jailbreaking my phone was SBSettings and Backgrounder. I've noticed a night and day different with the battery drainage which has me questioning weather or not I want to keep my 3GS jailbroken or not.

    Day 1:
    Jailbroke
    Installed SBSettings, Backgrounder, OpenSSH, and Netatalk (some apple talk protocol)

    Battery was down to around 50% after 5-6 hours of normal usage. Prior to the jailbreak, batter would be around 94-96% with the same usage. (Texting, Scamble game here and there).

    Day 2 (Today):
    Uninstalled OpenSSH and Netaware

    I'm at about 4-5 hours of the phone off the charger and at 81%. Normal usage, just like yesterday. I would assume that uninstalling OpenSSH and/or Netatalk reduced the battery drainage.

    Uninstalling backgrounder will be my next order of operation to see if it has any affect on the battery.

    I've read somewhere that backgrounder doesn't really decrease the battery either when not in use.

    Perhaps, something in the jailbreak process is the culprit of the battery drain?

  24. #40
    Hey guys, awesome topic and one of the reasons i signed up here in the first place...

    I have read it in detail, and ill share some of my findings...

    First i thing the percentage battery is a bad influence on your battery life, as every now and then you jump to see the result, turning on the phone, for no good reason what so ever, which drains battery like a charm, as that hog of a screen turns up every time you check. turn it on when you charge ur phone.

    secondly, i have around 130MB RAM free at all time on my 3GS what is not bad at all.

    i disagree that winterbaord in itself can drain battery just because it uses more RAM. RAM would be powered on regardless of its usage. Theme loads with the system, and stays that way. You can try changing the icon name with iFile in the theme folder, and you would not see the changes until you rebooted or respringed the system, so it means that it does not work actively in the background. Other point is that the iPhone original icons and settings also draw a certain part of RAM, and the difference is probably smaller than we think.

    WeatherIcon can be a nuisance as her refresh rate is defaultly set to 1min, and changing it to 6hours (if you need it at all) can help ur battery life, and clear why your edge connection keeps reconnecting all the time, even though you turn it off in SBsettings. (all other PUSH, and similar stuff has to be turned off as well) In my case, iPhone does not connect to EDGE when all of those things are set to off, but keeping it off can help random miss-clicks and reconnects. Keep in mind that iPhone can get really frantic about EDGE(has a thing for it) and in some cases may attempt frantically to get it working draining the battery further. (rarely but may happen)

    SBsettings, hmm, I do not think it decreases battery life in any way. It is merely an addition to general settings. The less You mess around with it the less it's going to drain.

    iBirthdays - i think that all by itself it does not use anything untill you tell him to inform you of the incoming birthdays by alerts. I think it starts a daemon then. (not sure, correct me and add more stuff if necessary)

    iBlacklist, notifier, toneFX, VoIPover3G, reflective dock, PrivaCy, Preference loader, Lock calendar, FiveIconDock...

    those are all substrates, but i do not know what to think of their usage.

    any opinions?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •