Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: a complete n00b needs some help!

Talking a complete n00b needs some help!
    hey to all!
    i'm almost a noob when it comes to a iPhone.
    i was just wondering that my one-time-brandnew v3i is now l'il old (although it's still the same sexy)! and also, i was about to buy an iPod in few weeks.
    but now i see that there is the new iPhone 3G S available in the store
    so i've now started considering if i could buy myself an iPhone in the near future. but first of all, i want all you ppl's help to gain some important information about the phone. hope you'll help

iPhone, in India, is a bit too costly, provided by bharti airtel and vodafone essar. but in the apple store i see it's just 299 dollars (for the new one). so first of all, can i buy one such phone from the apple store or personally from another country (cheaper) and then can i use it in india with my carrier?

some idea i have about the phone now by reading some posts in this forum. and i see unlocking and jailbreak as two of the popular terms.

i guess unlocking is the first part, to run the phone with my carrier.. so can this be done personally by myself??

(rest queries i'll ask after someone posts after me)

thanking in advance

regards
    DeepakG

Thanks

The price you quote for a 3GS iPhone is only available if you sign a contract with AT&T. Sorry.

thanks for replying..so fast..hehe

what's in that contract? any time duration for which i have to use the phone with the particular carrier?

Thanks

I think it's a minimum of 2 years unless you're upgrading. But I live across the Pond from AT&T so can't be exactly sure.

so is it that.... i have to pay for 24 months according to the contract, whether i use the phone or not??

Thanks

Yup.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

crap!!!
    so isn't there any other way?

Thanks

Nope, otherwise you'd have already heard about it on here.

The only other thing you can do it buy a 3GS from ebay or some other place and then unlock it. Then you are only paying for the phone and not the contract that goes with it.

Thanks

You can always get it on contract, get the lowest plan, wait for exactly 1 month, cancel your plan, pay the ETF, and keep your phone. It's cheaper than buying it off contract.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something