Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone not syncing

Default iPhone not syncing
    I JB and unlocked a 2g from and older version of cydia to 3.0earlier today and everything works fine on it except syncing. The only thing I did differently about this time was that I copied the the /user/library folder from the old version and overwrote the new one with it. I read from ONE1 on some post that doing it will allow you to keep your contacts. I am guessing he only meant that for going from the same OS version though. Is there a config file somewhere in there I should be aware of that is causing this problem? Also doing that didnt bring over the contacts but he did have his old texts and calls but displays the numbers instead of the contact names.

Thanks

You can get your contacts back by syncing with iTunes.

As for the syncing issue, go into iTunes and go to the iPhone page. Click on each tab and make sure the right boxes are checked. I know I have to redo this every time I restore my phone
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

yea I made sure of all that. I even tried removing the songs from his iTunes and re-adding them and that didnt work. Then I got the bright idea of syncing my 3g iphone to his computer and erasing all the songs/videos I had on mine and sure enough it worked fine. So Im fairly convinced there must must be a config file somewhere in that library folder that is giving it conflicting data somehow.

Thanks

Then just do a restore. SMS messages and such aren't too important to you are they?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

oh no lol. it was actually the contacts that I wanted. But what I am thinking is that there is a conflicting file structure or something. I havent taken a class on file structures yet so I am unsure but I am guessing the header for the contacts database or possibly even the entire database itself is different which would explain why the contacts didnt show up. I am thinking it is a similiar problem with the syncing. The files may be stored differently but again I am not sure. I was hoping someone with a bit of insight on the structure of these files would chime in hehe. Thanks for the responses. If I dont hear anything ill do like you said and just redo the JB and unlock.

Don't copy back the whole Library folder, some folders in there like Caches and Prefences can cause all sorts of nusiance if you put them in your updated OS. Do a DFU restore, rejailbreaks and set up as new phone. Once you have SSH access copy back from the Library folder backup to the Library folder in your new set up iphone the following folders only:-

AddressBook - Your contacts
    Calendar
    Call History
    SMS
    Weather

That's the only ones I do and it never has a problem, although I have to set the favourite contacts as favourites again.

I have had patchy results with Notes, sometimes it works others it stops remembering notes - you can type them in, but next time you open it they are gone. Mail always seems to act weirdly if you copy that back so I re set the account up manually instead.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Robcoffee For This Useful Post:

elbeasto (2009-08-07)

cool thanks for the info man... yea im about to redo the process now and my friend exported the contacts so he will just import them after we do it. He remembered that he exported them AFTER we copied over the library folder lol.