Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using Iphone 3G overseas, dont want to be charged

Default Using Iphone 3G overseas, dont want to be charged
    Hi everyone,

Basically im going overseas to Korea for one year. I couldnt get my phone plan on hold, but they reduced it to $8/month so im just going to let it run. It is a lot cheaper than paying the cancellation fee of $20/month

Anyways, I intend to use my iphone as basically an MP3/Video player as well as the internet (wifi). I dont want to incur any roaming charges, or any push functions I may not know about that will cost me mucho dinero...

I think the airplane mode is the correct setting, but could someone confirm this? I heard that I can turn on airplane mode, and then turn on wifi. Under these settings, will I be charged any roaming or internet fees, or any other fees im unaware of? I imagine overseas charges are ridiculous and I would rather not have a heart attack.

I currently own an Iphone 3G with the 3.0 firmware.

Thank you for your help!

If the phone's radio is off you won't be charged anything. Better yet, take the sim out.

Thanks

airplane mode on + wifi on will work. That's what I did when I went overseas for vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    Better yet, take the sim out.
    that was my first idea, but I think if tehre is no sim card inside, your iphone wont boot up. Anyone know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    Better yet, take the sim out.
    that was my first idea, but I think if tehre is no sim card inside, your iphone wont boot up. Anyone know for sure?
    Last edited by Leafs42084; 2009-08-04 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It starts up just fine, it just says no sim when it's started up.

Lovely

Not