Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Push Email on POP

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Push Email on POP
    Hello,

Push Email is now supported in 3.0, but it's not supported for POP mail accounts. Is it possible for it to be done? I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find anything, even a jailbreak solution would be fine.

Thanks
    Neo-Tech

"Everybody has common sense, but most just don't use it, then you wonder why?" - Neo-Tech

Thanks

Push is dependent on the provider, not the type of connection. For example, Gmail is IMAP, but doesn't support Push. Yahoo offers IMAP and Push, but no IMAP for desktops. There are Cydia installs that can change your Fetch time to 1 minute, so that might be a solution.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

That would take a hit on the battery though.
    So Push is just not possible on POP at all? Also, is it possible to get folders on POP mail accounts on iPhone? I don't care if I have to modify it :P As this is ModMyI

"Everybody has common sense, but most just don't use it, then you wonder why?" - Neo-Tech

no, this has nothing to do with POP or IMAP. your server has to provide push, then you will have push. for example yahoo supports push. unfortunatly, gmail doesn't, I still hope they will in the future.

don't know about folders though, I don't use POP accounts.

Thanks

No folders with POP. Because IMAP syncs to the server, as opposed to downloading, any folders you create in your email client, webmail, or iPhone, sync back and forth. IMAP is the way to go if you check email multiple on machines/devices.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think MobileMe would be the best option for me, although £99 is a bit steep.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well I know ibis will let you make folders and rules for the mail but no push right now there is a update coming with push. I use that and normal mail for the one I always check. Just another option.
    If I have helped you please hit the Thanks button.

Thanks

I you want just Push, Yahoo has it for free. Their POP for desktops suck, but the IMAP for iPhone it works great. MobileMe has an awesome set of features, but you don't get the full functionality on a PC. I don't think it's worth it to get MobileMe just for Push. Go with Gmail for the free IMAP support on both the iPhone and desktop. Push really isn't that big of a deal.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Push is specific to exchange like mail servers.

Its simulated on IMAP/POP mailboxes. Your best bet is to use GRIP and PROWL and then have it send your iPhone notifications that way.

Get pushmail from the appstore. Problem solved. Dont listen to these people that tell you to get Yahoo or trying to explain the difference between POP or IMAP. Forget all of that. Get pushmail from the appstore and move on with your life, it will work with ANY email provider on the planet. Goodluck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seh6183 View Post
    Get pushmail from the appstore. Problem solved. Dont listen to these people that tell you to get Yahoo or trying to explain the difference between POP or IMAP. Forget all of that. Get pushmail from the appstore and move on with your life, it will work with ANY email provider on the planet. Goodluck!
    Be nice! There's nothing wrong with explaining something to someone so that they then know. I don't think Pushmail (PushMail - Mail notifications on your iPhone) is exactly what Neo-Tech wants. You have to confirm message forwarding, so it's not a proper solution.

Well there is always GPush but from what I understand they are having server problems. And sorry for coming off rude, I just get frustrated when I see someone offer the "get Yahoo" advice. PushMail works perfectly. I have 3 emails forwarded to my push mail address and I get all of my emails pushed to me with a preview of the email. Its not perfect, but it does exactly what it says, pushes mail.

Thanks

No worries. I never knew of push applications. I only suggested Yahoo if free push was what Neo-Tech really wanted. Yahoo sucks. Push email really isn't such a big deal for me. It's one of those things that eats your time, knowing when you have a new message.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoops98 View Post
    No worries. I never knew of push applications. I only suggested Yahoo if free push was what Neo-Tech really wanted. Yahoo sucks. Push email really isn't such a big deal for me. It's one of those things that eats your time, knowing when you have a new message.

At least it doesn't eat your battery like Fetch mail does

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I you want just Push, Yahoo has it for free. Their POP for desktops suck, but the IMAP for iPhone it works great. MobileMe has an awesome set of features, but you don't get the full functionality on a PC. I don't think it's worth it to get MobileMe just for Push. Go with Gmail for the free IMAP support on both the iPhone and desktop. Push really isn't that big of a deal.
    Hmm...I'll probably have to go with Google then.

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    Push is specific to exchange like mail servers.

Its simulated on IMAP/POP mailboxes. Your best bet is to use GRIP and PROWL and then have it send your iPhone notifications that way.
    That's a good idea, but I won't get the notification until the iPhone downloads the e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by seh6183 View Post
    I saw that but the forwarding is the issue.

Be nice! There's nothing wrong with explaining something to someone so that they then know. I don't think Pushmail (PushMail - Mail notifications on your iPhone) is exactly what Neo-Tech wants. You have to confirm message forwarding, so it's not a proper solution.
    Indeed.

Haha! Lol. So it's either Yahoo or Google, I think I'll wait for Google to implement push.