Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone (2g) gets hot when there is a carrier activated?!

Default iphone (2g) gets hot when there is a carrier activated?!
    I made a post last week claiming that my iphone gets really hot when charging... well what I realized when on the plane heading over to California is that: when my phone is on with an active "carrier" the phone would get really hot by itself when I am not using it. As you know, before you take off you are required to turn off your phone, well I did that and when I was airborne I turned back on my iphone and the "carrier" disengaged because it could not find a network and that was when I realized that it gets really hot when there is an active "carrier"... I do not get this is happening and is there a way to fix this issue?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Never heard of such a thing, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    My question would be, have you recently make any changes, added apps, upgraded your OS, restored the phone from a back up in iTunes etc.. Give us more information.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

Liquid_015 (2009-07-31)

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Never heard of such a thing, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    My question would be, have you recently make any changes, added apps, upgraded your OS, restored the phone from a back up in iTunes etc.. Give us more information.
    Hmm, my phone seems to heat itself when charging, or when an carrier is active....

Yes, I just upgraded my iphone (2g) from 1.1.4 to 3.0

I added a source: "http://x.sellize.com/cydia/" then downloaded a "program" from cydia that allows me to play "cracked apps" called "InstallD"

I have a few free apps from the app store, and download 3 "cracked" apps: FieldRunners, FlightControl, and SAT Vocab Challenge...

The free apps I got from itunes were: imobster, remote, lightsaber

Oh yeah, I did not back up my phone from a backup because I heard that is where all the problems occur from.
    Last edited by Liquid_015; 2009-07-31 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks

No cracked app discussion please. Not supported here.
    When you updated to 3.0, did you sync from a back up or set up as a new phone. If you synced from a back up, that's your problem. Restore in iTunes and J/B again.

No cracked app discussion please. Not supported here.
    When you updated to 3.0, did you sync from a back up or set up as a new phone. If you synced from a back up, that's your problem. Restore in iTunes and J/B again.
    Just right now, when I touched my iphone it was warm... the weird thing is, is the fact that just right now I touched only the top part of my phone (where the jack is and everything) only that part is warm as for the other part of the phone it is just cold....

Sorry, understood! Just wanted to give you a detailed description ):

Anyways, when I updated to 3.0 firmware I definitely synced it as a new phone because if I synced it from a backup I would have gotten my SMS, and call history back.
    Last edited by Liquid_015; 2009-07-31 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks

hmmmm. I would still say to restore and J/B again, if problem is still there you have a hardware not software problem. May be time to get a new phone but I hope not. Good luck.

hmmmm. I would still say to restore and J/B again, if problem is still there you have a hardware not software problem. May be time to get a new phone but I hope not. Good luck.
    ); so there isn't another solution but to jailbreak it again?

Thanks

No Sir. Sorry

Ok then, I shall re-jailbreak it ):

I think it probably has to do with the "program" that I installed.... because my sister did not have that program installed and I do not think her iphone has overheated....

Oh yeah, if I jailbreak my iphone, will I be able to purchase official apps from the app store and put it on my iphone?

Thanks

Yes of coarse.

Yes of coarse.
    Omg, I'm so confused....

I just turned off airplane mode, and the phone isn't over heating! Nevermind I take that back, it just overheated itself again

Notice, that my sister does not have "that program" that I installed on mine! All my sister has is free apps from the app store ):

I'm experimenting if it has to do with my iphone connected to my wi-fi

Heya! I think what I said about the carrier is a whole misconception! I just turned off wi-fi, and the iphone has not over heated to a point where I can feel the heat, but it does go slightly warm where is it hardly noticeable. So my guess is the wi-fi that is causing this problem, but my sister has wi-fi activated and she doesn't have this problem
    Last edited by Liquid_015; 2009-07-31 at 11:36 AM.