Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replace a unlocked iPhone 3G under AppleCare Warranty?

Default Replace a unlocked iPhone 3G under AppleCare Warranty?
    Hello,

I purchased an iPhone 3G 16GB from Craigslist and the phone has a lot of scratches and dings on the back case as well as around the front on the bezel. Also, the vibrating motor is pretty loud when I flick the silent switch. I checked the serial number on the Apple website and it states that I have warranty until August 2010. The phone works OK, but I was wondering if I could get a replacement phone by taking it to the Apple store. I am a T-Mobile user and currently it is jailbroken and unlocked. But when he sold me his phone, he left his AT&T sim card in the phone, though with the sim card, there's no service. What would I have to tell the Apple store in order to get a replacement? Your help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by redsox786; 2009-07-28 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks

They don't replace any phones for anything other than mfg issues. Like dust under the screen, won't boot up, some software funtions don't work, etc...
    You won't get a replacement for wear and tear.

actually, there is a bit of visible dust under the screen. Also, the call quality isn't all that great. It might be a faulty speaker. But if I have to, I can "make" other functions of the phone not work anymore. What if instead I called Apple Support instead of going to the store. What could I tell them?

Dude. You bought a dinged up phone. Apple's not responsible to give you a new one.

PS- Your not gonna find anyone on here willing to help you "screw" Apple. Dont ask.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Dude. You bought a dinged up phone. Apple's not responsible to give you a new one.

PS- Your not gonna find anyone on here willing to help you "screw" Apple. Dont ask.
    I'm a little confused, isn't hacking and installing 3rd party software that voids Apple's warranty, "screw"ing Apple?

I'm not saying I agree with the Op's tactics, but seriously your comment is out of place as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch_thedevil View Post
    I'm a little confused, isn't hacking and installing 3rd party software that voids Apple's warranty, "screw"ing Apple?

I'm not saying I agree with the Op's tactics, but seriously your comment is out of place as well.
    Uhh.. not in that same way.
    "screwing apple" means cheating apple, scamming, etc.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    Uhh.. not in that same way.
    "screwing apple" means cheating apple, scamming, etc.
    I disagree. They made it so their phone runs on AT&T, and uses their App Store. Unless you buy a factory unlocked version, you are technically cheating Apple as you say. Why else would it void the warranty? Apple are pigs any way, but I think the concept of screwing them applies in both situations, as they both still cost Apple money. Just my humble opinion, I just think that you can't skew the details to make it justifiable.

Thanks

Unlocking the phone cheats AT&T not Apple (and AT&T deserves to be cheated... okay maybe not.. but still) and to get the phone we still are paying the ETF so not really cheating anybody.
    As far JB, Apple isn't losing any money from it, it's their fault they didn't want to approve these apps, and so their fault that they're not getting paid for them, if no jailbreak, they wouldn't get paid anyways.
    If you're thinking about warez, most of the JB community don't use them.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

That clarifies it a little better. I'm all for screwing AT&T...nearly $200 a month for just mine and my wife's phones, and we have the lowest possible cell plan, but the data for the 2 phones + text is just insane. Someone told me you could get a regular AT&T non smart phone, and change your plan doing the $10 family data plan, and then put your sim back in the iphone and it works, 3G works too.

Just restore the phone and give it a shot. But you might need to have someone with a valid iphone sim with you so you can show them the problems with the phone. Thats what i did when i had my 3g replaced.

I don't understand why people buy a used iPhone, that has normal wear and tear, and then get greedy about warranty exchange. Of course, when someone mentions dust under screen, phone not functioning properly and etc, now suddenly the phone suffers from said ailments. Get a cool case for it!

Oh and btw, getting dust out from under the screen is a relatively easy procedure.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Get a working iPhone sim card from a buddy that has service. Restore your phone to default settings. Bring it to the store and say you have so and so problem.

But really, your phone is fine. You purchased it used and most likely cheap considering the cosmetic condition. Just be happy with it

Thanks

^^AT&T sim card isn't required. I returned my iPhone twice without one.

Angie, what did you tell them when you went to the store? After using my iPhone for the past couple of days, I do see some problems, aside from the cosmetic issues. The OS feels sluggish, mostly all the games I play seem to skip and don't run smoothly, and the device gets hot in the back really quick. Also, the battery seems to run out very quickly. What do you suggest I do?

P.S. I also have the previous owner's AT&T sim card, but it's deactivated, if that helps.

Thanks

^The first time my top speaker went out and the second time my backlight went out, and so that's what I told them.

Even if your used craigslist phone is under warranty there could still be factors which would void that. Check the water damage indicators....
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

So I traded my dinged up iPhone that I purchased from craigslist to a friend for a like-new iPhone. Cosmetically, it looks fine. However, I just discovered today that the GPS does not work. I've tried restoring it but the phone can never pick up a GPS signal. It is still jailbroken and unlocked, but the warranty ends mid-September. Would I be able to get a new iPhone from the Apple store? Would I have to restore it and then take it without my sim card? Please help!

P.S. I'm thinking about just calling Apple Support. Will they ask me for my phone number to verify a AT&T account? I do have a spare AT&T sim card from the previous owner but I think it's inactive. The owner still has the same number just a different sim card.

EDIT: Went to the Apple Store, but said they needed a AT&T sim card in the phone in order to "diagnose" the GPS. The AT&T sim card that I have is inactive. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by redsox786; 2009-08-19 at 06:52 PM.