Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance

Thanks

How do I use Peteo's script as I want to give this another go, fool that I am.

I know how to SSH into my phone, but I'm on a Mac using Cyberduck, and for the life of me I can't see where I input this.

Any help please?

***EDIT***

Okay, I was being a bit thick - found out now. So all I need to do is send the following command "for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done" exactly yes?
    Last edited by iGuy; 2009-08-19 at 11:51 AM.

So let's just say I decided to, for the hell of it, run the following:
    Code:
    find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec rm -r {} ;
    (Yes, I ran this on the system root. So, every non-English lproj has been unceremoniously purged from my iPhone. With extreme prejudice.)

What kind of problems can I expect? Because honestly, I've rebooted a dozen times and so far everything seems to be working fine.

This was also on a FRESH jailbreak with only SBSettings installed.

Just curious.

*PS: I'm sitting pretty with RAM @ 52MB (57MB after "Free Memory") and apps are closing/loading FAST.

I've also DELETED the following directories:
    /Applications/DemoApp.app (Yea.. I won't be running any demos anytime soon.)
    /Applications/FieldTest.app (Don't really care about my signals..)
    /Applications/MobileAddressBook.app (Always seemed redundant, the contact list in Phone.app still works just fine..)
    /Applications/MobileMusicPlayer.app (I have a 160GB iPod. If I need music on my iPhone, I'll stream Slacker Radio.)
    /Applications/MobileNotes.app (Don't have the patience to type notes to myself..)
    /Applications/MobileStore.app (I'll *never* buy anything from iTunes..)
    /Applications/Stocks.app (Looking at stocks makes me think about my portfolio, which in turn makes me a sad panda.)
    /Applications/VoiceMemos.app (Thanks, but I already talk to the voices in my head in public..)
    Last edited by undert0w; 2009-08-20 at 04:26 AM.

For those keeping score at home, things are still running smoother than ever. Not a single hiccup, crash or reboot. I run the above command on the filesystem root everytime I install a new app. I'm working on automating the process, too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

i did it and my phone was stuck on reboot..
    i had to restore yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    Did you delete everything? Mine's fine as well...
    Yeah, I deleted everything very carefully. Again, my magnifier and copy and paste doesn't work... Ugh, another restore.

Thanks

^Did you delete it manually?
    I would suggest just running the script
    -safer
    -and faster.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

I feel obligated to post here.
    Because I have been following this topic with some interest for some while, but I finally gotta ask the question:

What makes you believe that deleting language packs will make any difference at all on your iphone? I posted this on another topic already: It won't. This makes no sense. And since I now read numerous posts of people who have to restore because they tried this, I feel obligated to tell you that it doesn't matter if you delete language packs. At all.

Sorry

Thanks

It might be the placebo effect but I do notice my phone runs noticeably faster.
    Faster than my sister's iPhone too, which I set up, jailbroke, and unlocked for her. She has less apps, no winterboard theme, less jailbroken apps, less anything that would slow down the phone.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    It might be the placebo effect but I do notice my phone runs noticeably faster.
    Faster than my sister's iPhone too, which I set up, jailbroke, and unlocked for her. She has less apps, no winterboard theme, less jailbroken apps, less anything that would slow down the phone.
    Maybe it's true. But I can't imagine a single technical reason that would make sense here. Still, I'd say it's just placebo. I mean the iphone behaves pretty fast anyway, so it's really hard to measure.
    I had a 2G for several years and now have a 3GS and even here there are only two or three situations where I REALLY notice the speed increase

Can we have some Youtube Proof of this working?

Thanx

Thanks

It's nothing you would really notice on camera.
    Like it isn't a DRASTIC change, but it's noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    It's nothing you would really notice on camera.
    Like it isn't a DRASTIC change, but it's noticeable.
    well, the iphone doesn't even use language packs it doesn't need, so I would be really surprised if it would work. but as long as it FEELS faster ... that's worth something too

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

either way it DOES free up a little space. i mean even if it doesnt make it faster at least you get back some of the space apple uses and i would run the script but i really new to that i mainly only work on themes/mods.. but if someone told me step by step tutorial id be thankful

Thanks

Start up w/e SSH program that allows like commands and stuff (I use PuTTY)
    Follow the instructions in the script post on the first page

Quote Originally Posted by sTrAnGe mOdS View Post
    either way it DOES free up a little space. i mean even if it doesnt make it faster at least you get back some of the space apple uses and i would run the script but i really new to that i mainly only work on themes/mods.. but if someone told me step by step tutorial id be thankful
    yeah, that's true, it frees up space. but I guess even deleting everything would be like ... only a few MB

Say what you will, but deleting the language packs from the TomTom US-Canada.app shaved just over 4s from the load time.

Before: 14.6s
    After: 10.8s

Each load was done after a fresh reboot to negate any caching effect. I tested it 3 times each with a ~ 1s variance. Not exactly what I would call a placebo effect.

would be interesting how you measured it. stop watch?

my tomtom app has huge differences in loading time without me doing anything, so ... .
    like I said: maybe it works, but so far I can't find a single technical reason it should since, like I said, the iphone ignores language packs it doesn't need. I mean why would it even care if there is a german lang pack if your language is set to english?

but maybe I will do a little testing myself when I feel like it and see if it really does something though I have a 3GS so my apps load pretty fast anyway.

Yes, I used a stop watch.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Dear Haters,

The reason why deleating language packs increases performance, is because the programs are no longer as big and lofty. You know how you can go into your options menu in just about any program and they offer you different languages? Well the programs no longer carry that baggage, thus having a smaller size, thus loading faster.

K Thanks! Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by Grassmasta View Post
    Dear Haters,

The reason why deleating language packs increases performance, is because the programs are no longer as big and lofty. You know how you can go into your options menu in just about any program and they offer you different languages? Well the programs no longer carry that baggage, thus having a smaller size, thus loading faster.

K Thanks! Bye!
    that's not how programs work, sorry. neither on your computer, nor on the iphone. smaller filesize (of the app folder) is not equal to faster loading.
    think of it like this: if you just copy 2GB of files into your app folder that the app doesn't even use, it won't mean your app loads slower.
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2009-08-26 at 03:21 AM.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast