Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance

I'm so lost. I really want to speed up my 3G... and free memory. Right now my title bar at the top says I have 12mb... processes running are mail & phone and if I free up memory in SBSettings I get 17mb.

I have WINSCP, how can I clean out the language packs other than English... in uh, English? I'm not too keen on getting into terminal with putty.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

vegasj (2010-03-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    This is much better:

find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "English.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;

Note: An error will be produced for each directory removed. This is normal!!
    works flawlessly. thank you!

I edited it to this so i could keep emoji.

Code:
    find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "English.lproj" -not -iname "Ja*.lproj" -not -iname "Japanese.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@Stl56.... and all ....

I'm not sure if it's MMI, or the editor, ...... but the last portion of the command line has a printed error. The very last three characters of the command must be a "space", "back-slash", "semi-colon".

find / .................................. -exec -rm -rf {} "one space""back-slash""semi-colon"

Note: Without the back-slash and semi-colon, the -exec command could fail to execute properly.

Note2: If anyone is interested. Here's the logic process of the command:
    -- "find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "English.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} \;"--
    1. Start searching at the root director: find /
    2. Search only directories: -type d
    3. Find directory names ending with .lpoj: -name "*.lproj"
    4. From #3, eliminate directories starting with en and ending with: .lproj: -not -iname "en*.lproj"
    5. From #4, eliminate directories exactly matching English.lproj: -not -iname "English.lproj"
    --Note: the finding part is complete, now what do with do with each result
    6. For each match, execute the delete command, recursively force delete, and pass the name: -exec rm -rf {}
    7. Complete the '-exec' command nicely with a space, back-slash and semi-colon. " \;"
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-04-01 at 08:13 AM.

I have tried this three times with painful results. I tried the original script to no avail. After getting the corrected script, my phone refused to boot properly and it took me a whole day to get it into dfu, upgrade, downgrade, and rejailbreak (because restore with the same firmware was not working) I then tried the little app that was posted on here that prompts you per language. This time it was even harder to get to dfu (I even had to remove the battery to make sure that it was off) and the backlight was behaving wierd. When I did manage to boot once near the beginning, I tried to replace the app folders with the backups made by the first script. It didn't help. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It seems like others are getting it. When I did it everything was fine until reboot. 8gb 3g 3.1.2 btw.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

script up there i get unexpected token

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darcus View Post
    Makaveli -

For windows - download a program called puTTY - you can get it here...

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/.../x86/putty.exe

Then, just follow these simple instructions:
    1. First login as root, password is usually alpine, but you may have changed it.
    2. type:
    cd /Applications
    3. type:
    for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done
    4. type:
    cd /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
    5. Repeat step 3 then type:
    cd /System/Library/PreferenceBundles
    6. Repeat step 3 then type:
    cd /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/AccountSettings
    7. Repeat step 3 then type:
    cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks
    8. Repeat step 3 then type:
    cd /System/Library/SystemConfiguration
    9. Repeat step 3 then type:
    cd /System/Library/Carrier Bundles

ONLY type in or copy/paste the thing in bold. This is purely for the english language. If you need another, just replace the part in red with whatever the 2 letter or language name is:
    for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done

For example, if you just wanted the Russian files to be kept, replace en*.lproj with ru*.lproj

Now of course, I'm not responsible if you ruin your iPhone. I've only tried this on an iPhone 3G 8gb and an iPhone 2g 8gb with success.

I would recommend that you make backups of your files on a computer in case you break something.

I hope that helps...
    d
    I'm wanting to do this... but if i log in with DiskAid i will allow me to log in with root and alpine... but if I use winscp or putty it says invalid password or password denied???

Or is it just as easy to do this with DiskAid

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^^^ Notice:

Starting with 3.x ..... some English language directories are named English.lproj (not en.lproj)! So to be safe: add this to the find statement " -not -name English.lproj ".

Oops: " -not -iname English.lproj "
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-04-23 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

Shanks12 (2010-04-23)

Thanks

you have any idea why I cannot log in with putty or winSCP? Or can this be done in DiskAid?

and it should be this then...

for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "English*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done

is that correct?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The command is correct. I use WinSCP all the time. The very first log-in takes some time as the known hosts security key is generated. After then it's ok. Another reason could be incorrect password. Confirm a valid password using Mobile Terminal. Download from Cydia

I recommend not using DiskAid for this.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-04-23 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

Shanks12 (2010-04-24)

Thanks

thanks.. I'll check that out and see what I come up with

Thanks

okay So i go into putty.. typed in the " cd /Applications "

Then put in the command

for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "English*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done
    and it comes back with .. damn i accidently exited out of it.. but it said something about a syntax error..

Was I doing it correct?

Anybody have a whole language pack backup?

Is it safe to delete all .lproj in all folders but the English and en.lproj?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@Psypha7....

I have a 2G and a 3G and have deleted ALL .lproj directories except English and en for FW 3.0.1, 3.1.2, and 3.1.3 without any negative side effects. I don't use the Japanese enoj stuff which some do. The biggest concern in my opinion is making a typo when entering the find ... rm ... command -- as the iPhone may not boot afterwards. But if you've got it down correctly ... I can report no adverse effects.

FYI: I keep the command stored in a local iPhone directory and also run it after installing/updating new apps.

Note: I see no need to use the more complicated command which uses 'sed' and saves the deleted directories. I will never use them ... so why save them . If it really important I'll just restore. Hense my example is simplier but has a higher risk ractor if a typo is entered.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-06-03 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

@Mes

Thanks man, much appreciated.

is what i used but i cant get it to work heres the error

Ipodtouch:/Applications root# for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done
    -sh: command substitution: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
    -sh: command substitution: line 1: `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///''

It would be alright doing this with ios 4 right?

**EDIT** Did it on my 3gs on ios 4 and everything seems to be okay. Didnt notice a difference in performance though..
    Last edited by ekidd; 2010-06-23 at 11:37 PM.

It just frees up sone space and probably decreases load time by a few miliseconds. U could also delete the static bookmarks in safari.app that aren't English if u rly wana get into this

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast