Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corkey20000 View Post
    On a mac:

Open Terminal

type:

ssh root@yourphoneiphere
    enter your SSH passkey (default is alpine)

paste this code in:

find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;

Let it scan and do its work. You will see a ton of scrolling text for a few minutes. English is all that is left, done.
    I do this and all it says is

ssh: connect to host 192.186.x.x port 22: Operation timed out

ok, i just deleted all the language packs manually, followed your list exactly, and made sure I only deleted the .lproj files other than english.lproj and en.lproj. rebooted and now im stuck on the bootscreen, so warning to others this may work for alot of people but it seems to not work for certain people either because of some apps or mobile substrate stuff we are running, or maybe its just the firmware version? im on 3.1.2. If anyone knows the reason for this please give some advice.

Why did you do it manually? You almost certainly deleted a file that you shouldn't,
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

How do you do this using the script on windows?
    I dont understand it.
    Can someone please help?
    3G 16GB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Makaveli -

For windows - download a program called puTTY - you can get it here...

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/.../x86/putty.exe

Then, just follow these simple instructions:
    1. First login as root, password is usually alpine, but you may have changed it.
    2. type:
    cd /Applications
    3. type:
    for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done
    4. type:
    cd /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
    5. Repeat step 3 then type:
    cd /System/Library/PreferenceBundles
    6. Repeat step 3 then type:
    cd /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/AccountSettings
    7. Repeat step 3 then type:
    cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks
    8. Repeat step 3 then type:
    cd /System/Library/SystemConfiguration
    9. Repeat step 3 then type:
    cd /System/Library/Carrier Bundles

ONLY type in or copy/paste the thing in bold. This is purely for the english language. If you need another, just replace the part in red with whatever the 2 letter or language name is:
    for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done

For example, if you just wanted the Russian files to be kept, replace en*.lproj with ru*.lproj

Now of course, I'm not responsible if you ruin your iPhone. I've only tried this on an iPhone 3G 8gb and an iPhone 2g 8gb with success.

I would recommend that you make backups of your files on a computer in case you break something.

I hope that helps...
    d

How do u keep 2 language files, like you want to keep Japanese and English? Can I repeat the -not -iname twice for english and japanese?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by istorm View Post
    How do u keep 2 language files, like you want to keep Japanese and English? Can I repeat the -not -iname twice for english and japanese?
    Yes Make sure you verify your spelling and punctuation
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-02-17 at 03:10 AM.

I find it surprising just how many people seem to speak Japanese!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I find it surprising just how many people seem to speak Japanese!
    Im pretty sure most of these people dont speak japanese, I think you need to keep the japanese.lproj in order for the emoji keyboard to work correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Yes Make sure you verify your spelling and punctuation
    Hey, you forgot a period after the "Yes", and at the end of the sentence. And your sentence should adds "that" after "Make sure" word. It should be like this:

Yes. Make sure "that" you verify your spelling and punctuation.
    Just a thought!

So, how do I keep 2 language packs in that command above? Thanks!

UPDATE: I found it:

for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} \; | sed -e 's/\.\///'`; do rm -vr ./$file ; done

BTW, I didnt see a boost in memory after rebooting. I got the same amount of free memory. Anyone get a significant boost in memory?
    Last edited by istorm; 2010-02-17 at 11:17 AM.
    iPhone 4 32GB. Jailbroken!

SSH from a Mac using terminal

Code:
    root# find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;
    find: missing argument to `-exec'
    Also
    Code:
    root# for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done-sh: command substitution: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
    -sh: command substitution: line 1: `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///''
    is the board messing up the punctuation? Can anyone help?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corkey20000 View Post
    find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;
    This is much better:

find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "English.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} \;

Note: An error will be produced for each directory removed. This is normal!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

goodluck4287 (2010-02-20)

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goodluck4287 View Post
    SSH from a Mac using terminal

Code:
    root# find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;
    find: missing argument to `-exec'
    Also
    Code:
    root# for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done-sh: command substitution: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
    -sh: command substitution: line 1: `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///''
    is the board messing up the punctuation? Can anyone help?
    On a mac, using terminal, you could just copy and paste the code above. The computer understands the font even if we dont

Mes, that works, although I didn't get to backup :-( It's working now, I'm prepared for a restore at 3.1.2 if need be.

Dale2, that produced the errors, I assumed it had something to do with curly quotes `' and small (but large) syntax stuff.

Ok, rebooted, flipped across the pages of my springboard, seemed really smooth, then I got the spinning wheel. It resprung, didn't even go into safe mode (although mobilesubstrate is installed). Now it's working fine. No issues yet, but I'm sure I'll be back if something goes wrong.

What Mes suggested seems fine so far if anyone wants to run this (although this is not inclusive of the backup, which had syntax errors for me and would not run):

Code:
    find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "English.lproj" -exec rm -rf {}
    ;

Also Mes said to expect errors, and for anyone in doubt, you will get a bunch of warning that look like this

Code:
    find: /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/German.lproj: No such file or directory
    I can confirm that he is right on that despite these errors, there was no real problem and the "script" is doing its job
    Last edited by goodluck4287; 2010-02-20 at 05:58 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Mes, that works, although I didn't get to backup :-( It's working now, I'm prepared for a restore at 3.1.2 if need be.

Dale2, that produced the errors, I assumed it had something to do with curly quotes `' and small (but large) syntax stuff.
    One problem was the very last character ';' It must be escaped: ie: \; This is the correct way to complete the -exec.

Yeah, this is great on a 3G, nice speed boost. Of course, I cheated: did this, removed a couple launchdaemons and did the obvious, a goodbye for now to WinterBoard. Technically, I don't have a good control group for this test, but I can tell you its a lot faster.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

... removed a couple launchdaemons ...
    You can also remove a bunch of /System/Library/TextInput/TextInput_different-languages.bundle (s). Saves space, not sure about any speed improvement. I deleted all except en and emoji.

BTW: This and the rest of these other speed improvements/suggestions are the work of others.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-02-20 at 10:49 PM.

found this googling around. seems much easier. no cd changes just run from root

A Common Hades: Deleting iPhone language packs

20. The Following User Says Thank You to floppy_joe For This Useful Post:

rasputin2012 (2010-03-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Here are some other ways to increase RAM:

For RAM increase on your iPhone, READ THIS

For RAM increase in Cydia, do this (taken from another thread):

Create a backup copy of /Applications/Cydia.app/package.js and copy it to your PC/Mac using a file transfer method (SCP for example).

Open it up, find (Ctrl-F) the line that reads (it's line number 208 of the file):
    var depiction = package.depiction;

Change it to:
    var depiction = null;

Save package.js and upload it to your iPhone in /Applications/Cydia.app/, over-writing the old one.

Respring and ur done
    Last edited by thazsar; 2010-03-14 at 07:50 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

rasputin2012 (2010-03-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by floppy_joe View Post
    found this googling around. seems much easier. no cd changes just run from root

A Common Hades: Deleting iPhone language packs
    That's a great solution for people who want to keep more than just one or two languages on their phones. The script lets you decide language by language which one to keep and which one to delete. It takes a little while, but it's thorough and fool proof.
    I successfully copied the script first via WinSCP and then ran it with Terminal (first type in "su root" and the password to 'run as root' with full privileges).

Nearly 2,900 files were removed and it seems the apps are now starting a second or two faster (SMS, Safari, iPod). So it's definitely a difference to before.
    After removing non-essential launch daemons and most of the language files it seems I gained about 6MB of RAM, from 52MB to 58MB (iphone 2g 8GB, phone and mail app running, right after reboot and "free up memory" in SBsettings). This increase is nice, however the biggest gains I got, about 10 MB, was from uninstalling 3rd party background apps as well as themes in Winterboard; so I recommend to do that first before you start messing with them system files...
    Last edited by rasputin2012; 2010-03-13 at 01:19 PM.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast