Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I need help from someone who is really good at coding.

My iPhone is a Part of Me cellmate75's Avatar
    Thanks

Default I need help from someone who is really good at coding.
    Ok I am trying to learn wow to code and i need help with something.
    OK here is what I got so far
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<html>

<head>
    	<title>My first web page</title>
    </head>

<body>
    	This is my first web page
    </body>

</html>
    When I open it in a web browser (firefox for example) I see all of this text. Is that what I am supposed to see? Or did I do something wrong? And please don't bash on me for trying.
    Oh and by the way in the URL bar it says file:///Users/zacharyfox/Desktop/html/myfirsthomepage.html

Thanks

Haha. Oh the joys of learning HTML
    spent hours a day playing around with these codes when I was 10 or 11

You should be able to see "This is my first web page" inside the browser (anything that's between the body tags)
    "My first web page" should appear at the bar at the top of the browser (the things between the title tags)
    Last edited by angiepangie; 2009-07-28 at 10:21 AM.

This isn't really anything to do with the iPhone - there are plenty of html guides on the internet but I just copied your code into notepad, saved it and it works.
    Make sure you have saved it with and html extension, I'm guessing you've saved it with .txt at the end - make sure you can view extensions and you will probably find it's got .html.txt
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

@Confucious That's what I thought at first too but look at the file name, it says "myfirsthomepage.html" and not "myfirsthomepage.html.txt" which it would say if he saved it with .txt
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

If you don't show file extensions that's what it would show....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Ok now my code looks like this.
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<html>

<head>
    	<title>My first web page</title>
    </head>

<body>
    	<h1>My first web page</h1>

<h2>What this is</h2>
    	<p>A simple page put together using HTML</p>
          <p>This is my first web page<p>
          <p>How exciting!<p>
          <p>Yes, that <em>is</em> what I said. How <strong>very</strong>
    exciting.</p>
    <ul>
    		<li>To learn HTML</li>
    		<li>To show off</li>
    		<li>Because I've fallen in love with my computer and want to give her some HTML loving.</li>
    	</ul>

</body>

</html>
    here is a screen shot of what my screen looks like when I open it (And it is .html)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -picture-1.png  

Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Is that what my screen is supposed to be like?

When I copy and paste your text into notepad and save as an html file it displays correctly.

But this is way OT and if you want more help I suggest you find an html forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -capture.jpg  

Thanks

Yeah, you probably did save it with the wrong extension. All the codes shouldn't be on the page and your code looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    If you don't show file extensions that's what it would show....
    Even in a browser? Hmm...
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

Well here is the .html file itself
    Tell me if I did anything wrong.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

When I copy and paste your text into notepad and save as an html file it displays correctly.

But this is way OT and if you want more help I suggest you find an html forum.
    Is it maybe cause I'm on a mac?

Thanks

LMAO. Don't you love it when people don't get the "go somewhere else" ?

@cellmate75 this is an iPhone forum, HTML has very little to do with the iPhone, take your question somewhere else please

What on earth have you written that in!

Have you seen all the junk in there? If you are going to code yourself use notepad or something that doesn't add all it's own code that screws your code up.

Open your file in notepad (or whatever the Mac equivalent is) and you will see what I mean.

Now go and find an HTML forum.

Thanks

^^LMAO.

This is what your code really looks like :
    Code:
    <html>
    <head>
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
      <title></title>
      <meta name="Generator" content="Cocoa HTML Writer">
      <meta name="CocoaVersion" content="949.46">
      <style type="text/css">
        p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 10.0px Courier New; color: #008181}
        p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 10.0px Courier New; min-height: 11.0px}
        p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 10.0px Courier New; color: #81007f}
        p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 10.0px Courier New; color: #81007f; background-color: #eeffcc}
        p.p5 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 10.0px Courier New; background-color: #eeffcc}
        p.p6 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 10.0px Courier New}
        span.s1 {color: #000000}
        span.s2 {background-color: transparent}
        span.s3 {color: #81007f}
        span.s4 {background-color: #eeffcc}
        span.s5 {color: #81007f; background-color: #eeffcc}
        span.Apple-tab-span {white-space:pre}
      </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <p class="p1">&lt;!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"</p>
    <p class="p1">"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"&gt;</p>
    <p class="p2"><br></p>
    <p class="p3"><span class="s1">&lt;</span>html<span class="s1">&gt;</span></p>
    <p class="p2"><br></p>
    <p class="p4"><span class="s1"><b>&lt;</b></span><b>head</b><span class="s1"><b>&gt;</b></span></p>
    <p class="p5"><span class="s2"><span class="Apple-tab-span">	</span></span><b>&lt;</b><span class="s3"><b>title</b></span><b>&gt;My first web page&lt;/</b><span class="s3"><b>title</b></span><b>&gt;</b></p>
    <p class="p4"><span class="s1"><b>&lt;/</b></span><b>head</b><span class="s1"><b>&gt;</b></span></p>
    <p class="p2"><br></p>
    <p class="p3"><span class="s1">&lt;</span>body<span class="s1">&gt;</span></p>
    <p class="p5"><span class="s2"><span class="Apple-tab-span">	</span></span><b>&lt;</b><span class="s3"><b>h</b></span><b>1&gt;My first web page&lt;/</b><span class="s3"><b>h</b></span><b>1&gt;</b></p>
    <p class="p2"><br></p>
    <p class="p5"><span class="s2"><span class="Apple-tab-span">	</span></span><b>&lt;</b><span class="s3"><b>h</b></span><b>2&gt;What this is&lt;/</b><span class="s3"><b>h</b></span><b>2&gt;</b></p>
    <p class="p5"><span class="s2"><span class="Apple-tab-span">	</span></span><b>&lt;</b><span class="s3"><b>p</b></span><b>&gt;A simple page put together using HTML&lt;/</b><span class="s3"><b>p</b></span><b>&gt;</b></p>
    <p class="p6"><span class="s4"><b><span class="Apple-converted-space">* * * </span></b></span>&lt;p&gt;This is my first web page&lt;p&gt;</p>
    <p class="p6"><span class="Apple-converted-space">* * * </span>&lt;p&gt;How exciting!&lt;p&gt;</p>
    <p class="p6"><span class="Apple-converted-space">* * * </span>&lt;<span class="s3">p</span>&gt;Yes, that <span class="s4"><b>&lt;</b></span><span class="s5"><b>em</b></span><span class="s4"><b>&gt;is&lt;/</b></span><span class="s5"><b>em</b></span><span class="s4"><b>&gt;</b></span> what I said. How <span class="s4"><b>&lt;</b></span><span class="s5"><b>strong</b></span><span class="s4"><b>&gt;very&lt;/</b></span><span class="s5"><b>strong</b></span><span class="s4"><b>&gt;</b></span></p>
    <p class="p6">exciting.&lt;/<span class="s3">p</span>&gt;</p>
    <p class="p4"><b>&lt;ul</b><span class="s1"><b>&gt;</b></span></p>
    <p class="p5"><span class="s2"><span class="Apple-tab-span">	</span><span class="Apple-tab-span">	</span></span><b>&lt;</b><span class="s3"><b>li</b></span><b>&gt;To learn HTML&lt;/</b><span class="s3"><b>li</b></span><b>&gt;</b></p>
    <p class="p5"><span class="s2"><span class="Apple-tab-span">	</span><span class="Apple-tab-span">	</span></span><b>&lt;</b><span class="s3"><b>li</b></span><b>&gt;To show off&lt;/</b><span class="s3"><b>li</b></span><b>&gt;</b></p>
    <p class="p5"><span class="s2"><span class="Apple-tab-span">	</span><span class="Apple-tab-span">	</span></span><b>&lt;</b><span class="s3"><b>li</b></span><b>&gt;Because I've fallen in love with my computer and want to give her some HTML loving.&lt;/</b><span class="s3"><b>li</b></span><b>&gt;</b></p>
    <p class="p5"><span class="s2"><span class="Apple-tab-span">	</span></span><b>&lt;/</b><span class="s3"><b>ul</b></span><b>&gt;</b></p>
    <p class="p2"><br></p>
    <p class="p3"><span class="s1">&lt;/</span>body<span class="s1">&gt;</span></p>
    <p class="p2"><br></p>
    <p class="p3"><span class="s1">&lt;/</span>html<span class="s1">&gt;</span></p>
    </body>
    </html>

This isn't really anything to do with the iPhone - there are plenty of html guides on the internet but I just copied your code into notepad, saved it and it works.
    Make sure you have saved it with and html extension, I'm guessing you've saved it with .txt at the end - make sure you can view extensions and you will probably find it's got .html.txt
    exacly, but if you want I can help you In msn or something Im good at html

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    LMAO. Don't you love it when people don't get the "go somewhere else" ?

@cellmate75 this is an iPhone forum, HTML has very little to do with the iPhone, take your question somewhere else please
    NimbleKit - Smart kit for fast iPhone apps development

Actually there is a whole Xcode plug in that involves HTML coding to develop apps so HTML is legit questions.

HTML web apps for the iPhone is still a huge market for the phone if not better since there is no restrictions for development and what you can do.

Let the kid learn, if people don't want to help just stay quiet and post in another forum.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to boxxa For This Useful Post:

cellmate75 (2009-07-28)