Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help - is my iPhone genuine and how do I get it to work??

Default Help - is my iPhone genuine and how do I get it to work??
    Hi all,

Just bought an iPhone 3GS which I think originated in the US (re: charger plug). I've been told it's unlocked and so I should be able to use my T-Mobile pay as you go SIM in it, but other than making calls nothing else seems to work properly and I'm concerned about a couple of things (especially after reading posts on here).

1. The font looks odd - its Courier New for the icons and text and everything - it reminds me of running my PC in DOS mode. Overall the display looks nothing like the promotional images of the iPhone 3GS or like my friend's (although an older version).

2. Many of the basic setting functions discussed on here don't seem to be there - just reading a post about setting network and someone mentioned going into: 'Settings>General>Network...' etc - 'Network' isn't listed on mine.

3. And finally (for now), YouTube videos show inserting the SIM in the top of the phone on a tray. I don't have a tray (just a little cover on a hinge) and the SIM won't stay in - the only place it goes is in a slot in the side (it works to call but not sure it should be there).

Oh, almost forgot - the instruction book is rubbish (very badly printed).

Is this phone genuine or have I been ripped off? And if so, how do I get it to work??!!

Help!!!...Jenn

Thanks

Hi very intriguing can you post some pictures of it please..

Sorry, don't have a camera at the moment (apart from the one on the phone!). What d'you need to know? Jen

Thanks

is it like this:-
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_TZfpEvzrQ]YouTube - Fake iPhone 3G is inspected at MacMedics[/ame]

Thanks

The iPhone does not have a sim tray on the side. The sim tray also doesn't have hinges and it's located at the top. It's springloaded.

OK. Thanks for the video. It doesn't have all the fiddly accessories with it, except for that 'foldable' plug and pouch shown. And I'm not sure about the screen being glass or not - if its plastic it's pretty tough. There also doesn't seem to be as many apps pictured on the box - what I mean is, on e-bay etc the box shows a bunch of apps, but on my box there aren't as many - the image is different (unless there are variations for the 3GS and the pics I was looking at were 3G). Hope that makes sense or am I complete nutter!!

No, it doesn't have a tray on the side, that wasn't what I meant - in fact it doesn't have one at all - the SIM just pushes in and locks into place. And it'll only go in the side - it won't lock in the top one. If anything it's like my son's phone, which has a rubber cover (this one's plastic) over the charging and headphone port which lifts up and swivels on a little tag - that's what I mean't when I said 'hinge'.

I've just spoken to the guy I bought it off, who's son bought one of the 8GB ones from a store and is on a contract with O2. He says the font's the same as his (although different from all the pics I've seen!) and the fact that it won't connect to iTunes and sync is due to my laptop being more than a couple of months old! (Don't see the reasoning here, personally.) I said that I wanted it mainly for work, ie. communicating with MS Office, but he said that it wouldn't work via the USB and I don't have bluetooth on my lap top. He also said I need to do something with Jailbreak, but I thought that was to be able to download non-Apple apps. He kept insisting that it was down to me being on T-Mobile PAYG - ggrrrhhh, nightmare! The more I hear, the more suspicious I'm getting!!
    Last edited by jennell; 2009-07-27 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks

I think pictures would really help. When you can, take a pic of the back of the phone and of the front.

As for it not working with USB...of course it should. That's how you connect it to your computer.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Sorry to say but I think you may have been taken for a ride.

I know. I'm not a techno-genuius, but the scary thing is the guy I'm trying to reason with knows less than me and keeps making excuses. (Red flag!) Sorry I can't send pics, my old phone (with camera) broke and I don't have a webcam.

My gut instinct is that it's a fake - a good one I think which I guess isn't bad for what I paid for it, but the bottom line is if it doesn't do what I need it do there's not point in having it. The sad thing is that the guy selling it is doing it on behalf of another guy (sounds dodgy when you put it like that doesn't it) and he wouldn't go back and challenge him, so I sticking with 'it won't work for me'.

Thanks anyway all - he's just taken it away to see if he can 'fix it' - if he can't I'll do the womanly thing and nag 'til I get my money back!!

Thanks

Thanks for your reply I just like I said found it intriguing..I think I would be looking for a refund as for the sync excuse you were given that's a bit lame ..
    I wish you good luck ..

Thanks

This is why you always have to be careful about buying stuff online.
    It sucks D:

But did it actually say it was an iPhone or was it a "sciphone" etc?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jennell View Post
    I know. I'm not a techno-genuius, but the scary thing is the guy I'm trying to reason with knows less than me and keeps making excuses. (Red flag!) Sorry I can't send pics, my old phone (with camera) broke and I don't have a webcam.

My gut instinct is that it's a fake - a good one I think which I guess isn't bad for what I paid for it, but the bottom line is if it doesn't do what I need it do there's not point in having it. The sad thing is that the guy selling it is doing it on behalf of another guy (sounds dodgy when you put it like that doesn't it) and he wouldn't go back and challenge him, so I sticking with 'it won't work for me'.

Thanks anyway all - he's just taken it away to see if he can 'fix it' - if he can't I'll do the womanly thing and nag 'til I get my money back!!
    Can you post a link from the eBay auction? I like to read and see the pictures it showed.
    You should be protected by PayPal and could file a claim to get your money back.

Thanks

^^Seconded.

And yes, unless they were one of those tricky people who never actually "said" it was an official iPhone but made it seem like it was.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

iPhone is a registered name owned by Apple, so I believe it would fall into the B/S category if the auction was indeed for an iPhone.