Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Settings icon is missing..

Default Settings icon is missing..
    Just updated my iphone 2G to 3.0 and it worked fine. But got a strange problem. The "Settings" icon is missing from the phone, so I can't do anything with it

Any ideas how to solve the problem and get the icon back?

Edit:

Should maybe also say that the settings icon were in another catalogue when I did the sync before updating it through "Categories".
    Last edited by SleepingBear; 2009-07-26 at 01:29 PM.

You mean you didn't do a clean restore to 3.0? You really should.

Have you tried removing categories in Cydia then re-installing it?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

You will need to install SBSettings and unhide the settings icon.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    You mean you didn't do a clean restore to 3.0? You really should.

Have you tried removing categories in Cydia then re-installing it?
    Ofcourse I did a clean re-installation. Got some icons but the "settings" icon is missing at the dashboard.

I had the same problem once. I re-jailbroke and there it was again.

It's really important to not restore from backup, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    I had the same problem once. I re-jailbroke and there it was again.

It's really important to not restore from backup, btw.
    Got the settings icon when I did the process again. Why can't I restore from an old backup? That is the most stupid thing I've seen so far. So every time anyone want to update to a newer version they have to start all over again and type in all phone numbers and all other data will be lost?!? Or is there any other way around it?

Also tried to install Categories again to see if it helped, but ALL programs installed through cydia does'nt show up on the dashboard. Programs installed through itunes do show up as they should though.

Going crazy on these things....

Thanks

You should NEVER restore from a backup (especially to a major FW update like from 1.XX to 2.XX or 2.XX/1.XX to 3.XX, even bigger especially - if the backup was made on a jailbroken device).
    It causes 99% of the issues people have been having.

Contacts, apps, songs, etc. should already be synced with itunes so you wouldn't lose those, they'd come back after you sync. SMS, call logs, and pictures you took from the iphone's camera will be lost though.
    Way around it - Pictures is pretty self-explanatory. The other ones you can SSH in and make backups of certain files of the iphone.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Sorry! Wrong of me. I hav'nt restored it, it is when I sync the phone all things disaper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingBear View Post
    Sorry! Wrong of me. I hav'nt restored it, it is when I sync the phone all things disaper.
    Then restore and set up as a new phone
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    Then restore and set up as a new phone
    Did that and atleast got the most imporant things out of it anyway

Justa wanted to say thx for the help by everybody and a little warning (that probably is typed at another place) Do not, I repeat do not install icy together with cydia at this stage. Icy disrupts the cydia installation program. Problem will be fixed later (atleast that what the iphone says).