Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Phone stuck in perputal endless reboot

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Unhappy Phone stuck in perputal endless reboot
    Hey guys and gals, sorry this has to be my first post here. I have lurked for a long time, and finally dove in a few weeks ago and jailbroke my iphone, wish I had done it sooner lol. Any way I had some problems getting my account activated here, but it's finally been sorted. So on to my problem.

Yesterday, I was on Cydia, trying to find an app to let me send a picture I took with my phone to my wifes phone. I have an 8GB 3G iphone, that has been updated to 3.0 and jailbroken. Everything has been fine. I tried to install the first app in the messaging section under Cydia, and after installation it said it need to restart the phone. Since then, all it does is reboot, get to the apple logo, then stay there for about 5 minutes and reboot again. I have tried powering down, leaving it off, and then restarting, that doesn't work, neither did holding down the power and home buttons, it did reboot the phone, but still stuck in the same continous loop.

I fear that I am going to have to do a restore, which would be fine, but I have some pictures on there that I would like to try and save.

I am on vacation now, and will be back home tomorrow, but I will check this regularly. I hope that I can save the pics, if not, oh well.

Thanks for any help and tips!

michael

PS

Since I'm on the restore subject partially, is there a way to extrapolate data from a restore that's saved on the computer? Like say I want to get my contacts list out of that restore file, is there a way to do this?

Thanks again lol

Google mobilewatchdog.bundle
    You'll find a solution.
    You really should synch your contact with iTunes then when you synch back you will get them all back. Not sure if you can get them from a saved file.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Google mobilewatchdog.bundle
    You'll find a solution.
    You really should synch your contact with iTunes then when you synch back you will get them all back. Not sure if you can get them from a saved file.
    Ok, I will when I get back home tomorrow.

As for the contacts, what I meant was, I have a backup synced with itunes, but after jail breaking, I failed to restore to it, so I just left the phone as new, and added new contacts, pics etc...was just wondering if there was a way to get the old contacts off of the stored back up...not a big deal because I can just write down what I have on this new phone, and restore to the original, then add the new stuff. Probably easier that way any ways.

As for the reboot, if you can maybe post some info for me that I could use to possibly fix this while I'm on vacation that would be great. If it is something that requires itunes or syncing my phone to a pc, there is one here at the hotel, but my backup is at home, and my primary concern is saving the few pictures I have on this phone now.

Thanks for the response, hope to get some more!

You can still restore to any specific time that a backup was done. Right click on the iPhone in iTunes and click on Restore... and it gives you a drop down box of backups iTunes has made in the past.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kariodude View Post
    You can still restore to any specific time that a backup was done. Right click on the iPhone in iTunes and click on Restore... and it gives you a drop down box of backups iTunes has made in the past.
    What about the pictures I have on the phone now that I took while here on vacation? Is there any way to save them?

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch_thedevil View Post
    What about the pictures I have on the phone now that I took while here on vacation? Is there any way to save them?
    Ok, I am home now, I have tried to google mobilewatchdog, and SSH will not connect to my iphone, itunes does not see it, and the diskaid does not see it either...the apple logo appears, stays on that screen for about 5 minutes, then reboots, screen goes black, then back to the apple logo again.

HELP please!

Thank you!
    Last edited by memnoch_thedevil; 2009-07-27 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you have Wifi on and SSH enabled, you could just delete the app and then restart the iPhone and it should start up regularly again...

Thanks

Tried that...I had last turned wifi off at the hotel, because it was slower than the 3g in the area, so it is not on. I am unable to get in via SSH or diskaid I found on another forum. itunes does not see the phone either, so how can I restore the phone.

At this point getting my phone to work is more important than a couple of pictures...I am a little stressed out at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch_thedevil View Post
    Tried that...I had last turned wifi off at the hotel, because it was slower than the 3g in the area, so it is not on. I am unable to get in via SSH or diskaid I found on another forum. itunes does not see the phone either, so how can I restore the phone.

At this point getting my phone to work is more important than a couple of pictures...I am a little stressed out at the moment.
    Quick update...I gave up on saving the pictures, so I thought I would try to just go through the jailbreak process again, and well it worked, putting the phone in DFU mode was successful, the process seemed to work, but once finialized and rebooted, it went back to the same process....so now what?

Final update...got DFU mode working, and did a restore through itunes sucessfully, so got the phone back, but wife is pissed about the pictures lol...also lost an email I had taken down for another family, that I was going to send some pictures to that I took of their kids for them haha...oh well.

Thanks for the help, and if there is some magic way to dig into the phone before I start over on anything else to find the pics, I am all ears, but I doubt it's as easy as pulling stuff off a pc hard drive that has been deleted.
    Last edited by memnoch_thedevil; 2009-07-27 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Without being able to SSH on to your phone you had no choice but to do what you did.
    Glad you got your phone back. Pics are gone I'm afraid but it's worth getting SSH on your phone so if it ever happens again you can get in there.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Without being able to SSH on to your phone you had no choice but to do what you did.
    Glad you got your phone back. Pics are gone I'm afraid but it's worth getting SSH on your phone so if it ever happens again you can get in there.
    Well I think the problem was that I turned wifi off at the hotel. I have ssh on the phone and my pc, I was modding a theme for the phone. I think I was unsuccessful connecting because the wifi was off. I could be wrong though lol

Thanks for the help! I'm glad I got my phone back too heh

WEEE..........new edit...now I have no sound. Well, some sound, I can go into the settings menu and have sound in there when I select a ringtone, but that's about it. I have restored and rejailbroken, and reused my theme, but now sounds are gone...will search on this later, need sleep for now.

anyone on the sound? or do I restore again?
    Last edited by memnoch_thedevil; 2009-07-27 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I don't mean to insult you, but if no sounds are playing at all except for in settings, it just sounds like you turned your phone on silent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kariodude View Post
    I don't mean to insult you, but if no sounds are playing at all except for in settings, it just sounds like you turned your phone on silent.
    No insult taken, but alas it is not something as simple as that unfortunately. The ringer works, but no sounds when you lock the phone, or type on the keyboard etc...it's like some of the sounds got corrupted or what I am not sure.

I have tried restoring twice, I have even restored and set the phone up as a new phone, and still the same result.

I may just send the phone back for replacement, any thing I should know to cover my previous jailbreaking tracks? Still have 33 days left on warranty lol