Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I return a Jailbroken Unlocked Iphone to Best Buy?

Default Can I return a Jailbroken Unlocked Iphone to Best Buy?
    Hello,

I recently bought an iphone 3g at Best Buy that I unlocked and jailbroke for tmobile. Everything was fantastic until I downloaded an app that screwed everything up.

It was a virus, I believe, because everytime the phone would go to the lock screen I would move the slider to open it the screen would say, "this would be a good idea if it worked, but it doesn't yet." I notice just a few things wouldn't work after I downloaded this thing, but for the most part everything else was functional. This eventually became irritating so I tried to see if I could unstall it and my iphone crashed & doesn't turn on.

So my questions is, CAN RETURN THIS PHONE TO BEST BUY?

The phone doesn't turn on and I haven't restored it back to normal yet. I believe I can restore it to orignal settings, but I don't want to pay a 10% restocking fee. I'd rather just return it as defective, but I'm worried that best buy will have software to figure out I unlocked and jail broke it which would make this phone unreturnable/unexchangable. I only bought the phone a week ago and have 30 days to bring it back.

Please give me your input whether I should restore it or just leave it the way it is.

Thanks!

Dude, no you cant return it to best buy unlocked an jailbroken. Just restore the phone and itll be just like how you bought it. If you cant restore, put the phone into DFU mode then Shift+restore.

Wow that sounds wild, what app was it?

Oh okay. I was just reading on some best buy website that they don't take modified phones back. It'll just be a pain to restore and pay a restocking fee.

Does anyone know if bestbuy or other stores are able or put effort to figure out if they were?

I guess would the consensus be to restore the phone?

Thank you

At this point I don't remember which one. Because at the time I was on a downloading spree. Actually, right after I downloaded it I noticed the problem when it restarted. I just thought it was a malfunction and tried to delete off of cydia (when I remembered the name)but couldn't find the app to remove.
    Last edited by tsaem415; 2009-07-22 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Do a complete restore via iTunes, that's the only way you can return it.
    Samsung Galaxy SII (i777)
    iPhone 4 16GB

Thanks

Why don't you Restore it and then keep it?

Also curious as to why you bought a 3G iPhone to use with tmobile? Yo still can't use the 3G service on it.

I would restore it to factory settings and return it and buy a 2G iPhone to use with tmobile. .02
    Last edited by srsuser; 2009-07-22 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by iGuy View Post
    Why don't you Restore it and then keep it?
    That's just what I was thinking.
    But if he's stupid enough to install dodgy apps maybe it's best he does return it. He'd be safer with a N*kia.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

The 2G doesn't have GPS, the sound isn't as good as the 3G, there is a better chance of getting a warranty on a 3G through apple, it doesn't have the recessed headphone jack, I could go on.

Thanks

Why is the 2G even relevant?!

And ye, once the phones restored it will be the same as you bought it new. You'll just have to jailreak + unlock again
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

i can't put my phone in DFU because when i try it just goes into restore mode and when i try to restore normally or with shift restore i get the 1600 errors usually 1611 if anyone can help i would be there best friend

ps. i have an iphone 3gs on 3.1

What are you trying to restore to?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

im trying to restore every back to stock

tsaem415, True DFU is the way to go with a regular 3G. look over at iclarified.com or search the forums here for more info....

Quote Originally Posted by shampoo_McTavish View Post
    i can't put my phone in DFU because when i try it just goes into restore mode and when i try to restore normally or with shift restore i get the 1600 errors usually 1611 if anyone can help i would be there best friend

ps. i have an iphone 3gs on 3.1
    This though is quite another story.... check out the next 2 links for alot of good info that will help with DFU for you since you have a 3GS.

Dev-Team Blog - Future-proofing the 3GS jailbreak

Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

Trust me on this one....
    Previously had a iPhone 2G 8GB jailbroken with 3.0. Now as of 6/19 a proud owner of a 3GS and eagerly awaiting the jailbreaking of such!
    Lovin my jailbroken 3GS! Shove it Apple, my iPhone can now do twice what it could!