Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dramatically Increase performance of firmware 3.0

First off I have a 32GB 3GS on 3.0.1

Ok so I've been reading all through this forum...very excited to try this.
    I've seen a few scripts people are suggesting and am not sure which to use.

So what script is the most stable/succesful one to run?

Where do i back everything up onto?

Also I have no wifi so can't use winscp with my PC anymore. What can I sue via usb??
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

Christ it works really well! I've got iPod on, Safari, Mail and Phone, s**t loadsa mobile substrates and still got 28mb ram free!
    Used this script
    find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} \;
    Last edited by smeeshum; 2009-09-16 at 12:27 PM. Reason: The script should end with \; not /;

iPhone? More like MyPhone alpawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Syncing takes forever!
    I've removed the unwanted .lproj files with iFile... Left english, spanish, italian and german (just in case) and my 3G is somewhat faster but, when I sync it with iTunes it take a WHOLE lot longer than before... so gained speed in the device, lost it on syncing... Any thoughts?

ok i went through almost all the pages in this thread and i still cant find any instructions
    :/
    i know how to ssh but now what? where exactly do i go? what do i delete? i only need english language.. help anyone?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smeeshum View Post
    Christ it works really well! I've got iPod on, Safari, Mail and Phone, s**t loadsa mobile substrates and still got 28mb ram free!
    Used this script
    find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} /;
    Where you been bud?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

davesnothere11 (2010-02-19)

SB,

I just ran

find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} \;

and it seemed to do some stuff then it came up with a huge error. I checked the apps and the langguage packs are gone but i still have the same 143 mb free.

How much space you got freed man?
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

143Mb free? That's not bad for a 2G

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

yea thatd be great. but i have a 3GS lol

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    started with 131, then got to 153, now 163....
    This is what I'm talking bout. I want this!!
    Should I have done it manually?? The langs are gone but not one difference
    Last edited by franklinromeo; 2009-09-09 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

Thanks

Reboot your phone.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Wow, so I don't want to look stupid, but is this supposed to do anything on the 3GS? I thought it would make things load faster, but the more I read, the more I think it's just to free up RAM, which the 3GS has enough of. I did this to Safari and it actually seemed to be a little slower. Then I tried it for Beejive and I didn't see any improvements, so I put the folders back. Then Beejive started delaying my notifications a while so I deleted the app. It's clearly not on my homescreen, but the app store says it's installed, iTunes won't remove it from my phone, and now I have SSH, find Beejive again, completely remove it from my phone, download it again, and reset all my settings.

I won't be doing this again.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

OK finaly got to read all the posts. Most people it seems are wondering why this works. Imagine if you will you want to make a big presentation and you have notes for it. Well if the presentation is for a majority of people who speak english why drag around notes in any other language, just boggs you down. Well thats what this should be doing so when you open the apps they won't have to load languages you are not going to use. As to why its not working for some people well i'm still out on that and chalk it up to random error somewhere in the process.

Other thing I noticed is people worried about emoji. You should be able to remove Japanese from the apps as the emoji does not come from these but as someone found the text input. Completely different from the apps so you should be able to remove the Japanese without emoji loss as it seems to be true as long as you dont touch them from the core of the iphone system files.

With any operating system while painstaking since there are no programs like the iphones big brother OS X. Removing bloat works great as long as its done right. Maybe someday there will be apps like monolingual and the like for the iphone to be able to do it safely.

where can i find instructions on where to fine these files that i need to delete? i only need english thanks!

Just run the script - it deletes them for you.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Just run the script - it deletes them for you.
    what script and how im kinda new and i thought i had to ssh and delete them..

Thanks

first page.

oops wrong thread.. I was thinking of another one.
    Last edited by angiepangie; 2009-09-10 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

ALL DAY has a list over here http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...rformance.html that I followed and so far i'm doing ok. Have not done them all yet but i'm slowly doing it the painstaking way. I use iPhonebrowser on my windoze machine since it does automatic backups which came in handy as i accidentally deleted one of the English directories. just reopened where the backup was and popped it back over. There is a change. Not anything to scream over but less can be more and its proving to be true.

One thing I DID notice is under iTunes it shows i have 7.04Gb total vs what it use to say of 7.01 which is weird cause when i look in my preferences and usage it still shows 7.01GB

Thanks

^THATS the thread I was thinking this was.

^ and me

Thanks

Confusing with all these similar threads floating around...

Well this thread did start first technically. The other thread took this one to the next level with starting off with that list. I guess this was the research thread and thats the lab results and ongoing thread

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast