Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dramatically Increase performance of firmware 3.0

i did this with my sms app and noticed no considerable changes.

I found this thread today and did it on my iPod touch 2nd generation. I got about 6-7MBs of space and about 10MBs of ram. (Still deleting) I ran some apps and didn't really see a difference. Don't have anything running and only have SBsettings downloaded.

Warning: People who are deleting files in the framework area, becareful because there are some hidden folders. By hidden I mean there in the list with the language packs. So when selecting just watch out from them.

Note: I have an iPhone 3G and on AT&T and I deleted the other carriers, no problems...

its real simple and if u follow the 1st page thats all the instructions/tutorial u need

I just found a folder named "Textinput_emjoi.bundle" in /system/Library/Textinput. Could this be the emoji files so we don't need the japanese language packs?

Also just deleted all stock apps and the carrier bundles and some other things. I got about 30+MBs, but the ram stayed the same... One thing I did notice from deleting files in systems is respringing is quicker.

hows the app going?

I think SB quit on the thing because of something during the process. Read a couple pages back.

ok so the cydia release is a no go? i was waiting for the cydia release... guess il just have to do this manually... poop on a stick!

A couple pages back, there's a guy who had a terminal command you can use. It deletes and backs up.

code by undert0w - runs in /root:

find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;

code by Peteo - run in individual folders:

for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done

ok cool. So check this out - this code is a combination of a guy who wrote one to run in /root so the whole phone would be shaved (but it only keeps english). And the other code is run in individual folders but that one will keep English and Japanese. So logic would say that combining them to form this code:

+

-not -iname "ja*.lproj"

=

find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;

Then this code can be run as a catch all from the /root folder and keep English and Japanese? yes or no?

tim

--------------
    EDIT: used this code in /root:

find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;

Worked like a charm!

Freed 27mb of disk space on /var and freed up about 6mb of RAM. Best of all - it took about 2 minutes for the entire procedure. From double click WINSCP to finish. This script does everything for you!

If you guys were waiting on a Cydia release because you were too afraid to manually do things yourself - try this out! And thank undert0w for writing it.

--you may also want to check out the close daemon thread to free up even more performance
    linky: http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/6...h-daemons.html

Thanx to all the guys who worked on these mods!

I love this site and I friggin love my phone! If only it could multi-task like the Palm Pre...

tim
    Last edited by klouud; 2009-09-05 at 07:02 AM.

The code in red you posted didn't work for me but the original one

Code:
    at http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...rmance-10.html

post #145 did the trick. Thanks to all again.
    Last edited by newskin; 2009-09-05 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by newskin View Post
    The code in red you posted didn't work for me but the original one

Code:
    at http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...rmance-10.html

post #145 did the trick. Thanks to all again.
    mine had a space at the beginning on accident. Thanx for pointing that out. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    mine had a space at the beginning on accident. Thanx for pointing that out. sorry.
    No prob, I was going nutz trying to figure out why your's wasn't working for me. Never gave that space a second thought. Thx again.

This really works, well worth doing as it only takes a few mins to go through the app folders and delete the language packs you dont use.

I have a iPhone 3G and before i did this i would struggle to get 30MB available memory with no programs running.

Now I can have cydia open and still have 40MB free!

awesome!

good find : )
    Stock Just Doesn't Cut It

After my first attempt where I screwed up (my stupidity, no one else's fault) I finally got round to running the script (but changed it to delete Japanese as well - unlike the rest of you, I don't speak Japanese) and now get 40Mb free on boot on my 3G
    Things are loading quicker (very subjectively)and all seems good.

Thanks you
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I was close to having it done and then I ran into some problems. There is not a safe way of doing it. I have had several devs look at it. I think for now its dead.
    so what exactly do we need to delete than, without crashing anything...

Just run the script. It will work.

That's a lot different from making a program which you have to support.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I tried the script in terminal but I get a weird answer.

find: missing argument to `-exec'

Don't know why it wont execute the script. Any ideas??
    I *hEaRt* my IpHoNe

http://twitter.com/#!/Loudmouth0

wanna be cool? Follow me

Quote Originally Posted by SL4VE View Post
    so what exactly do we need to delete than, without crashing anything...
    just run the script in the root folder and your SSH program will do the rest - the terminal window will turn black and white script will scroll for about 60sec, then you will get a whole bunch of errors. Don't worry about the errors, the program is just telling you that some folders did not have the files you told it to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by popmanbx View Post
    I tried the script in terminal but I get a weird answer.

find: missing argument to `-exec'

Don't know why it wont execute the script. Any ideas??
    Did you see the white script running? I got a ton of errors at the end. Its no big deal.

--Make sure you guys have SBSettings up while you run the script so you can actually see your /var disk space being freed!
    --So a restart or respring to reap the benefits of the new free RAM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kariodude View Post
    Ah crap. I deleted the files like you said on safari and it ran really awesome. So then I deleted some folders from the MobileMail.app folder, but now the mail app won't open. I put the files I had backedup back in the folder, and it still won't open. Any suggestions?
    Completely reinstall the IPA

Hmm. I got the same problem as popmanbx.
    I tried the first script btw, the one by undert0w...

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast