Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: itunes UNLOCKED my friends iphone

Talking itunes UNLOCKED my friends iphone
    i was teaching my friend (who is a total noob living in GUAM) how to unlock his iphone 3g (which was unlocked to 2.2.1 when he bought it) to the newest firmware 3.0 over the phone. i asked him to download both the official 3.0 firmware (from the download section of this site) and redsn0w 8. then i asked him he must restore to the official firmware before we move on. so i told to SHIFT + RESTORE on itunes and that he has to browse for the OFW he just downloaded. he did. and the restore started. itunes did its thing. then my friend read me what pop out on itunes said.

"YOUR IPHONE IS UNLOCKED".

well at least thats what my friend told me. i was surprised. and even confirmed it with him a couple of times. he even had signal. i figured maybe he had a sim adapter. so i asked him to remove the sim. and he said. NO SIM ADAPTER. only the sim tray and his DOCOMO (previously hafatel) sim card.

so i told him....ok. uuuum we are done! well not exactly. though unlocked he was missing CYDIA. so i asked him to use redsn0w to jailbreak his somewhat UNLOCKED iphone.

process went well. redsn0w did its thing.

now my friend is running custom themes on 3.0.

well just wanted to share the experience.

i wish my itunes can unlock my iphone 3GS too. hehe

.........WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK HAPPENED?
    (damn! should have had him take a screenshot.......)
    Last edited by simpl3lang; 2009-07-18 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

He probably has an officially unlocked iPhone. Not as weird as you think. Many Countries have a law that states a cell phone cannot be locked to 1 carrier. Australia, Italy and more. He's got a keeper there.

Thats what i thought afterwards. Thats nice.