Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Power consumption skyrockets after 3.0 upgrade

Default Power consumption skyrockets after 3.0 upgrade
    Yesterday I upgraded my OS 2.2.1 2g to 3.0 with Redsn0w, and it seemed like everything went without any hiccups, but I've noticed that the power consumption is just through the roof. I've had the phone unplugged for about 2.5 hours now and the battery meter is already at half life. I have to use my phone with the app Insomnia running in the background due to a malfunction that I haven't been able to remedy only work around, but I did this on 2.2 as well and would still get about 18 hours of general use before I had to plug the thing in. Does the new OS consume more power? Is there a power consuming program now running in the background that is new to OS 3.0 that I might be overlooking?

While I'm at it, I am using Insomnia because when my phone goes into auto lock, then to sleep, it shuts down. I use insomnia to let it go into auto lock and turn the screen off, but preventing sleep so the phone will not preform whatever task it normally would that cause the shut-down. Might there be a better way to manage this than using Insomnia? Maybe a way to put some things to sleep without triggering the problem command?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

having push enabled might be part of your problem

For e-mail? It's set to 30 minutes.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

set it to 1hr n check manually if necessary. geez im lovin my 2.2 more n more after reading problem after problem with 3.0. meh
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Yea, I might downgrade back. It has some cool new functions, but when your power only lasts 5 hours it's just not worth it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I looked around a little bit and came up with this

"it seems that wifi doesn't turn off when insomnia is running, even when the iphone is
    saying it's off.
    when I just turn on insomnia, my battery doesn't drain. if I turn on insomnia, then
    turn on and off wifi - that's when my battery gets drained (about 20% per hour). so
    it seems wifi is somehow running or something. I can't connect to the internet, so it
    can't really run, but it's definetly related.
    this behaviour is reproducable 100% of the time. so every time wifi was running when
    insomnia was turned on, my battery drains incredibly fast until I turn off the insomnia daemon."

it seems that insomnia doesnt work well with 3.0

iPhone? More like MyPhone jasonm253's Avatar
    Thanks

i had a problem with my battery draining when i installed the push fix thru cydia. Did a restore and rejail broke with an ATT sim and everything is fine. Dunno if that would help. Just the luck of the draw maybe dunno!

Alright, here is my fix in case it helps anyone else. First, I completely restored the phone just to make sure I was starting fresh. I noticed that my battery life did increase a little, but only by a few hours and there is no telling what contributed to that. Anyway, I was browsing the phones settings and noticed a new section called "Notifications" which I do not recall being there for OS2. This Notifications section has push settings for app programs, and I guess by default it turned push on when I installed AIM. Turned it off, and now the phone seems to be holding a charge pretty well. So I guess it was push, but just make sure turn off the second push toggle as well.