Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G (8GB) Stuck In Restore Mode (Error 28)

Default iPhone 3G (8GB) Stuck In Restore Mode (Error 28)
    I have an iPhone 3G that I'm trying to fix for a friend.

While updating to 3.0, his battery died and now the phone is stuck in recovery mode.

Restoring gives me error 28.

I've tried:

DFU Mode
    Alternate USB ports
    New user account
    Leopard 10.5.6, 10.5.7, and Vista Ultimate
    DMZ mode for the router
    Standard restore and update
    Latest version of iTunes
    Restarting the computer
    Alternate computer(s)

iTunes recognizes the phone in both recovery mode and DFU mode, but gives me error 28 regardless.

I have searched (endlessly) and tried everything I possibly could.

This phone was apparently unlocked and jailbroken prior to the error. (2.2.1)

No other information is available.

Any possible fix?

i downgrade my i from 3.0 to 2.2.1 and i learn a lot of things.
    try this

first of all download or find out the IPWS i use iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw.

enter DFU mode (note that iphone screen is always in black)
    when itunes detects it say no to update it to 3.0
    click on your iphone icon and Shift click restore (in windows)
    that should open a dialog box to enter the IPSW so go ahead find it and click ok.

that should work... btw if 3.0 already updates the baseband you will recieve an error 10xx, in that case it's fine but the iphone will be in recovery mode for ever so to exit from recovery mode press home button for 5 seconds and then witout release the home button press the power button till it restarts (15 secs).
    then it should work just connect it to itunes and that's it..
    that work for me...

NOTE: i use i tunes 8.0.1.11 in a fresh windows xp copy... with i tunes 8.2.0.23 doesn't work for me...
    Last edited by qbaze; 2009-07-14 at 01:20 AM.

Were you able to fix this iPhone? If not, what did you do prior to getting error 28? Did you jailbreak it? Did you download apps from iTunes after jailbreaking it?

http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...ml#post5015901 Post #14

I have gotten several iPhones out of error 28. But the bad news, further down the line you will run into the issue again and again as it IS indeed a hardware problem.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

i got an error 28 on my iphone too. i couldnt find any solutions to it so it was a pretty much THE END for it.

Exclamation Answer!
    Ok, if you used Blackra1n to jailbreak but it wont turn on run the Blackra1n program and unplug your iPod when the screen is black. Now turn off your iPod and then turn it back on. It will be back to normal and you can once again use your iPod.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

^^^^ Dude you're missing the point of the problem. He's stuck in recovery mode due to a hardware failure issue. He can't complete the restore process to even think about proceeding with a jailbreak.

I just want to know how a battery dies during an update or restore?

ok if its not jail broken and you do what i said it will work i did it on a 3g and 2g that were not jailbroken with 3.1.3 firmware it worked!

It told me i had a hardware corruption but it worked.
    Last edited by YenMaster; 2010-03-20 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by YenMaster View Post
    ok if its not jail broken and you do what i said it will work i did it on a 3g and 2g that were not jailbroken with 3.1.3 firmware it worked!

It told me i had a hardware corruption but it worked.
    You are wrong. Error 28 is hardware. Period. End of story
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    You are wrong. Error 28 is hardware. Period. End of story
    Well i had error 28 and it worked for me.

so theres absolutely no way to fix error 28 for an ipod???

I apologize for my English. I am from Russia.

So the error 28 can occur for two reasons.

1. software
    2. hardware

The software problem is corrected by recovery in DFU mode

In the second case, intervention is required, the service center. Because it indicates a problem with nandflash. And usually eliminated by replacing it.
    So if you can not restore iphone with an error 28. Feel free to carry it into service. This can be fixed. In any case in Russia, precisely

reinstall either computer's operating system or use a different computer. another one. trust me, it works.