Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone ip address

Cool Iphone ip address
    when not connected to wi-fi, how do you obtain your phones ip address?

not sure if there is a way to find it in the settings, but I use this site:
    http://whatismyip.com/
    just bookmark it and load it in safari.

I don't believe that this will do you any good, EDGE blocks incoming traffic as far as I know, so even if you knew the IP, you wouldn't be able to talk to the phone.

Oh it works alright. Give it a try

OK, tried it. Found my IP on the above web page, can't ping that address, can't ssh to it either. As I said, traffic TO the phone is being blocked. At least, on AT&T, not sure what other networks might do with their traffic.

your ip address thru edge is subnetted, not everyone has a public ip

and yes the router that at&t is using is not going to allow you to telnet into it

well it might but your going to get an MOTD saying leave now,
    ping will be blocked because of ping of death viruses
    basically the ip you are getting is for the edge accesspoint/router not your iphone

your iphones ip address will look something like this 10.24.25.143
    the 10 designates a class A, 172.16.0.0 is standard class B and what you are probably used to seeing 192.168.1.0 is class C.

im not about to teach networking fundamentals, but point being there is nothing special that AT&T is doing
    Tmobile will show the same deal, as well as when you are on wifi

think of it as WAN wifi

EDIT:
    you have probably done port forwarding to all of your comps for webserving or video games before, and you cant forward ssh to all addresses or you get conflicts/collisions/routing problems.
    basically they would have to give everyone a subdomain or something unreasonable
    Last edited by pouncer11; 2007-09-25 at 05:27 AM.
    T-mobile has stolen my wallet's heart

It displays a dynamic ip address. what ip address should i use for VPN or is there a DNS resolved address that I can use for my VPN connection? I am trying to VPN into my office through the iphone without success.

It displays a dynamic ip address. what ip address should i use for VPN or is there a DNS resolved address that I can use for my VPN connection? I am trying to VPN into my office through the iphone without success.
    Last edited by kalani; 2009-02-04 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost