Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PkgBackup - pain in the butt??!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Default PkgBackup - pain in the butt??!!
    So I just bought the app and made a back-up.... awesome. Now going back into the app to see how I would restore all my apps (over 200) it looks as though I would have to go into the restore lists and select each app individually and toggle the restore button to ON. I don't see anything to select all packages. If anyone else has the trick please let me know.

Why didn't you just use AppBackup from Cydia? It's free and you can backup and restore all the apps easily.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

cngou (2009-08-05)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Select All and Select None can be performed by pinching in and out (like zooming) while viewing the list of applications to be restored (or backed up). I found this very poorly documented in the release notes. And also unintuitive. Just adding one more checkbox at the top of the list would be much cleaner.

I have used both apps, and I think PkgBackup is much more flexible (and perhaps more reliable, though I have had problems with both). It allows you to only backup or restore a subset of the applications.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    Why didn't you just use AppBackup from Cydia? It's free and you can backup and restore all the apps easily.
    I actually did this too for a double backup. They do it in completely different ways as pkgbackup uses your contacts list and appbackup uses an iTunes backup (I think).

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default PkgBackup - selecting backups
    after selection of a package, and it is highlighted
    , move two fingers outward from center up and down.
    This will allow you to select all packages...
    Now if I could only get the developer to fix my
    copy of PkgBackup! It keeps asking for root priv
    password! (alpine doesn't work! and I didn't chg it.

Does this app save data from app
    store games aswell?

Thanks

PkgBackup reinstalls the apps from Cydia. AppBackup restores DATA from AppStore apps. You also need Chronus to restore the Cydia app data. Chronus will also backup and restore stock app info like weather, stocks, sms, camera roll.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

NavyCopATFP (2009-10-15)

I could not find where Pkgbackup or Chronus mentioned support for 3.0?

Chronus would do everything I want as I am looking for a physical backup that I can restore as opposed to a list that lets me re-install everything. Chronus puts it all actual files into a folder that you can SSH copy off the Iphone to restore later... Only thing is Chronus has no mention of 3.0 support so I do not want to risk using it or missing 3.0 fw related change items \ files etc...

Does anyone know of an automated way to do this? (I can handle the manual method but it is very tedious and error prone)
    Last edited by Flashbagman; 2009-08-06 at 01:09 AM.

What's Jailbreak? spider_pig448's Avatar
    Thanks
    i've had so many problems with pkgbackup. I found that u restore once, and it downloads about half the backup. Then the icon disappears and u have to redownload

Thanks

I've used Chronus and PkgBackup on 3.0 on both a 3g and a 3gs. They work fine. You will need to fix ownership on the Chronus backup library file after you copy it back to your phone in order for the restore to work. I something like Terminal or Putty type chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule/ then restore the data you want.

i just bought pkgbackup in hopes that itll make the update and rejailbreak process much less of a hassle when 3.1 comes out.

i have not yet attempted to restore and use it but i have backed everything up. hopefully this is the answer to an easier update process...
     White iPhone 3Gs - 32Gb 

Thanks for the info that you have used both Chronus and PkgBackup on 3.0 and they work as I have not tried these... however, I am still wary to use either of them... neither indicate or claim any support for 3.0 in their respective info pages or websites. I would not want to test the apps come restore time...
    How do you know you are getting everything backed up?
    Have you performed a full disaster recovery of a 3g or 3gs using both PkgBackup and Chronus?
    Does everything come back? both Appstore apps and Cydia apps? how about all of the user data generated by all the apps, Game saves configuration settings etc?

Full Backup for jail broken phones is the killer application that this community seriously needs. It's not here yet.

We need someone to write a Cydia app that uses USB directly for speed and can "one button" backup the Iphone fully, I mean everything... An image backup would be the best but I realize that may be out of the question.
    Both Mac and Windows versions are needed.

It would need to understand backing up and or skipping open\inuse files as well. Everything but the running OS.
    Same for restore.
    I would want to restore a new phone with Itunes then jailbreak, install this unnamed app then restore back fully an Iphone with proper permissions and everything.

I have tried WinSCP with both Wifi (Slow) and direct connect using the "Iphone tunnel suite" (lots faster)
    (So far, this seems to be the bast way to get data off the phone.) I have also tried IBrowser which also uses USB directly but it crashes constantly when you select root or any high level directory down.
    Even an intelligent script that the SSH clients could use to grab the right files as one operation backup would be helpfull.
    Restore scripts or even a script front end would work as well.

I would gladly pay up to $30.00 for a professional Iphone backup solution... Anyone developing one?

Thanks

If you want to restore AppStore settings and data add AppBackup to the mix and you would need to do a similar chown on its Library file after SSH ing it back to your phone .

This thread explains the process fully

Yes to your disaster recovery question. I have used this process several times on 3G and 3GS iPhones. I also used it to move all my stuff from my 3G to my 3GS. I haven't restored from backup since firmware 1.1.3 on my old 2G iPhone. You will only lose stuff if you dont back it up and copy the files to your desktop and sync in iTunes.

To summarize:

iTunes - restore firmware , music, contacts, calendar, AppStore apps
    PkgPackup - restore Cydia apps
    AppBackup - restore data and settings from AppStore apps
    Chronus- restore data and settings from Cydia apps and stock apps like Weather, Stocks, Clock. (you will see AppStore apps listed but I have found that these backups do not restore as reliably as AppBackup)

Hope this clarifies things.