Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is this a battery saving feature, or am I just thinking too much?

Question Is this a battery saving feature, or am I just thinking too much?
    I noticed this consistently happening on my iphone 3gs.

when i have the phone's screen turned off (in my pocket, etc), and i turn it on, the signal right at the moment the phone is turned on is usually 1 bar or less. most of the time it's no bars, but it shows I'm connected to 3g.

immediately afterwards, the signal gets stronger. i usually get full bars where I'm at, and the phone always consistently goes up to full bars from no bars.

is this just a feature to try and save battery life when the phone is on standby (screen off), or does my pocket just get bad reception?

seeing as how the iphone has the awesome feature of turning off the screen when the phone is next to your ear to save battery life, hmm...

Doesn't happen with me, it's probably due to being in your pocket Just checked my phone now and it's got full signal after having not used it for an hour or two.

just checked it now. it starts with no bars right after i turn on the screen, and it gets more and more bars. now, 6 seconds later, it's full bars

Thanks

I haven't really noticed this more than maybe on a few odd occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveabu View Post
    seeing as how the iphone has the awesome feature of turning off the screen when the phone is next to your ear to save battery life, hmm...
    That's actually not to save battery but rather to make sure the side of your head/ear isn't pressing buttons when you're in the middle of a call.
    Respect your elders.

oh well that makes sense too.

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    I haven't really noticed this more than maybe on a few odd occasions.

That's actually not to save battery but rather to make sure the side of your head/ear isn't pressing buttons when you're in the middle of a call.
    dont u just hate when trying to hang up or switch to another caller, and the damn thing wont give u a screen? lol

Thanks

^Haha, that happens to me sometimes when I grab it with my finger over the proximity sensor, but mine's usually pretty snappy in switching the screen on when I take it away from my ear...
    Respect your elders.