Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Warranty/Replacement Question

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Warranty/Replacement Question
    For a while now it seems that my 3G hasn't really been up to snuff. In an effort to make it better I've went to 3.1 beta and nothing changed. Probably obvious to people in the know, but I figured I'd give it a try. Anyway, my question is: Would be having the beta firmware disqualify my for any kind of warranty?

Apple usually frowns on it. So I wouldnt go in with it loaded. But if its just running "sluggish" all they are going to do is restore it. Not really a call to replace it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Maybe sluggish isn't the word. Constant dropped calls, apps just quitting for no reason, sometimes it doesn't want to answer when I swipe the answer slider. It recognizes that I swipe, it just doesn't answer. All of these make me want to throw it against the wall when my 40.00 Nokia does everything flawlessly.

yo as long as your eligible under your year warranty. call 1-800-69-474663 (my-iphone) tell them you have "a lot of dust" under your screen. and they will say "oh im sorry to hear that, here are your options." listen for the "advanced replacement" and they will either send you an iphone through the mail or set you up with a time for you to go to the apple store and replace it there. i believe it cost $30.00 unless you purchased a 2 year apple care for the phone then its free. as far as you being in 3.1 beta wouldnt a restore fix that?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
    yo as long as your eligible under your year warranty. call 1-800-69-474663 (my-iphone) tell them you have "a lot of dust" under your screen. and they will say "oh im sorry to hear that, here are your options." listen for the "advanced replacement" and they will either send you an iphone through the mail or set you up with a time for you to go to the apple store and replace it there. i believe it cost $30.00 unless you purchased a 2 year apple care for the phone then its free. as far as you being in 3.1 beta wouldnt a restore fix that?
    Restore does nothing. There are people who say they can do it, but it doesn't work for me. quickpwn never recognizes that my phone is there and redsn0w gets stuck on the downloading data screen forever...

The "dust under the screen" deal is kinda dumb. Cause when they receive the phone they will see it DOESNT have dust under the screen and they wont replace it. Come on, they arent blind. And there is no $30 fee for anything, its either covered or not.

But if its not functioning properly, then you shouldnt have any issues with them anyways.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

sgreer78 (2009-07-11)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    The "dust under the screen" deal is kinda dumb. Cause when they receive the phone they will see it DOESNT have dust under the screen and they wont replace it. Come on, they arent blind. And there is no $30 fee for anything, its either covered or not.

But if its not functioning properly, then you shouldnt have any issues with them anyways.
    I guess that's what I'll do then. I've tried restoring it in iTunes 8.1 as well with no luck. I get the usb screen.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post

oh snaps! i didnt see the comment about there not being a 30.00 fee... hey brohymn have you actually called that no. to see if what you said is true? cause as of march 2009 when i did this i had to pay 30.00 the only way out of that fee is if you have the apple care program which cost i think 69.00 then that waves the 30.00 fee.

well considering that dust under the screen is a common issue with the iPhone 3g, getting dust under the screen isnt hard at all. i had this issue with my first phone that i bought dust appeared under the screen after months of owning the phone, i called that no. they sent me a new one. i say about a week later the phone i have now has dust under the screen.... my fiance's phone has dust under her screen the list goes on and on and on(brother/sister/brother in-law/ several cousins) getting dust under the screen. i promise if you mover your screen protector and take your phone outside and just play with the angels you can find specks in that be-atch...

why don't you trying installing itunes 8.2 beta then downloading the 3.0 firmware and once thats all done press SHIFT+left click and find the 3.0 firmwar...

oh yeah and thats why they call it the "advanced replacement" as soon as you tell them whats you want to do and that is the "advanced replacement" the put a hold on your credit card for the amount of a phone (399.00-499.00) so you receive the phone and then you ship them yours, they send you two boxes one box containing the phone and the other one is empty and you have 10 business days to get your old phone back to them or you just bought another phone
    Last edited by glassJAw; 2009-07-11 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

^Im not saying getting swapped because you have dust under the screen is dumb.....but that only if you actually HAVE dust under your screen.

If you dont, then dont just tell em that.

I've had my 3G since the week it came out last year, no dust at all. Guess Im lucky.

And so far none on the 3GS, better stay that way too.

PS- However I have cleaned other peoples screens to remove the dust.

And yeah if you mail it they hold the entire amount of the phone, or take it to an Apple store if one is near.

PPS- Another thing, I know Apple has started doing minor repairs to the phones instead of always swapping them.....I had an issue with the home button on my fiance's 3G...took it to Apple and they SWAPPED the screen right there.

So, if its dust under the screen, they may vary well just swap the screen and give you the same phone back.
    Last edited by cpjr; 2009-07-11 at 06:06 PM.

^maybe true if you send them your phone to see if they can "repair it", but if you do the whole "advanced replacement" your golden.

^Not really. Just because you do the advanced replacement doesnt mean you get it swapped automatically....

They can still refuse and send your old phone back to you....

Thats why they hold all that money on your credit card....2 reasons....if you dont send them your phone and if you dont send the "rental" back if your phone is refused.

An "out of warranty" replacement is $199 which they will still charge you if need be.

aye, if your phone doesn't have any dust, get a bag of dust from a vacuum throw your phone in it, shake it around for a bit and you will get dust. then call that no. get another phone. problem solved.

Hey glassJAw! does this really work? cause i have alot of dust under my screen and its really annoying!

Yeah It works. Just call that no. And see what's good

ok ill let you know

anyways,sgreer78 whats new in 3.1?
    PS3 ID : glassJAw624 : add it

i was considering setting up an appointment with the nearby apple store to swap my 3gs because it got really hot a few days ago, and not only that, I've noticed that every now and then half of the screen wont respond to touch. half the screen vertically not horizontally. Any other JB 3Gs owners get that? i set up the appointment but then figured it was probably something with the jailbreak on my 3gs so i was gonna restore and then go in and try to get it swapped, but they prolly wouldnt just take my word for it about getting really hot so i cancelled the appointment because I figured they wouldnt do anything about it. plus, I've only had it since june 19th so if I get a swap I'd rather have one closer to the end of my year warranty.

Also, I want to send in my 3gs to CPJR to get a custom paint job, but that'll eff up any chance of a swap dpwn the line.
     White iPhone 3Gs - 32Gb 

CPJR you do custom paint? That's sick, how much for. glassJAw logo?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
    anyways,sgreer78 whats new in 3.1?
    Only thing I can tell is that when you hold a icon to arrange it vibrates and the baseband has been changed. Apparently that's why I cannot downgrade back to 3.0.

I went to the apple store with it in recovery mode and the guy claimed that my bottom water sensor had been tripped. I'm not saying he's lying, but I do know that my phone has never been wet. Anyway, he did a restore, got to the end and got the ol' 1015 error. Said warranty is voided because of the supposed water damage and I could replace it for 200.00. I said no thanks.

^thats whack, could the water sensor cause your phone to act the way it's responding? Did you ask him that?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to glassJAw For This Useful Post:

MissMonster (2009-07-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast