Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone not working on wifi network.

Default iphone not working on wifi network.
    it should detect the settings automatically because it has before but it is not. it shows full wifi signal but when i go to safari as soon as i try to open a page it automatically says that it cannot connect to the server. it only downloads through att's edge and i dont have the unlimited data since this isnt my number (its my fathers number that just so happens to be att or as the sim and phone says "cingular". i live in the DR and the iphone is unlocked) any clues on what could be going on? this is really pissing me off, im starting to worry that this phone isnt all i thought it would be...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kitsune's Avatar
    Thanks

I just, literally minutes ago, made the same exact post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
    I just, literally minutes ago, made the same exact post.
    any luck? =s

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Turning the phone off and on doesn't fix the issue?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Nope. I was able to connect to a weaker network in the other room (business account), but mine won't work. I'm going to try resetting the password on my router.

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Turning the phone off and on doesn't fix the issue?
    nope. i took the damn sim out and then restarted the phone and still nothing. its giving FULL wifi signal strength and the wifi antenna is at the same desk im sitting at and i have no clue what could be the problem. the wifi is on the second floor and the ps3 in the basement gets signal and works on the wifi just fine, damn but thats besides the point anyways! it was working on the phone a few days ago (went away for the weekend and speaking of which, went to a supermarket with wifi and it worked there as well). im really getting pissed...

Nope. I was able to connect to a weaker network in the other room (business account), but mine won't work. I'm going to try resetting the password on my router.
    this one is completely open. no passwords, no setup. my uncles is on his laptop and its working fine... wifi isnt the issue. its this damn phone.
    Last edited by ozonevt4; 2007-09-24 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Help, Just today I can't get wifi signal to show up on the IPhone! What is going, there must be some app that is causing this problem. Just today! It always on EDge, it shows it connects to my wifi but it does not replace the Edge icon up top or connects.//

Thanks

Wow, this is really weird... But yeah, try adding a password to your wifi and reconnect.

Renamed my ID for my wireless and it is now working. whew..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

see i have almost the same problem, my phone wont connect with my 2wire wireless router. i haven't been able to get it to connect at all. it finds it, trys to connect, connects shows the wifi logo then when i try to use the internet or anything that uses wifi, it switchs right back to edge. i couldn't connect thru ssh either.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

I was at the local coffee shop the other day (wified here before). Could not connect to Wifi..although my buddy could on his iphone...resetted a couple times..no go. That was weirddddddddddd.

So, i went to the owner..had him resetted his router....VOILAAAAAAAAA ! it connected.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yes, that is the ticket, i had the same problem...you must restart your wireless router....and it work for me tooo.....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio71rick View Post
    yes, that is the ticket, i had the same problem...you must restart your wireless router....and it work for me tooo.....
    what about for those that have reset the router and are still having the issue?

i had the problem with my wifi not signing in automaticly after putting phone to sleep. Then i found a report online someone had the same problem and bought it to genius bar. Basically the guy just switched the phone to "Airplane" mode, resetted the wifi network in "setting -> General" and switched it back.

Worked for me, maybe you can have a go too.

I am trying to use an iPhone with an old AT&T account (before Cingular) and I am stuck on page 4 of the guide due to the same problem.

I tried the reset above and get nothing. I have found free Wi-Fi hotspots that allow me to use Safari and Installer but when I go home and try to connect to my Mac Mini my iPhone says unable to connect for a split second and then appears to be connected with full signal strength but I cannot use Safari or Cyberduck or anything else over Wi-Fi.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but do I have to have an Airport base station to connect my iPhone to my Mac Mini and complete the unlock or should I be able to connect directly?

Thanks

Try renaming your SSID. It's what I did and it worked perfectly.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitsune For This Useful Post:

G95 (2007-09-25)

Try renaming your SSID. It's what I did and it worked perfectly.
    Thanks for the advise. Now how exactly do I do that? This is the first time I have had to use Airport.

I had the same prob, I tried every settings on my router still no luck was reading an article on wifi chips saying that they are over heating. Goes to prove they are cheaply made, and in some cases meant to break on you. Free Wifi? lol you knew that was coming!!