Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How many text messages can the iPhone hold?

Thanks

Default How many text messages can the iPhone hold?
    I'm curious to the max amount of text messages I can have on my iPhone 3GS running the latest firmware. I know when I had the first generation iPhone it could only handle 1,000. I hope it's unlimited but I could be wrong.

iPhone 3GS
    Firmware 3.0
    AT&T
    Unlimited everything

Well I know for sure it's over 1k now.

Last edited by FUKRIAA; 2009-07-06 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I've had about 2500 on my phone at one time.. i don't usually delete any until i restore :P..

If they are all in one conversation though, and you attempt to go back and read some of the ones on the first few pages.. your phone will get crazy sluggish trying to load all that into memory..

Unless you got a 3gs .. 256 MB memory.
    -Eric

-White iPhone 3GS 32GB. (For SALE)
    -15" MacBook Pro. Aluminum.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How the hell do you have over 1,000 new text messages? Personally the badge with the number on my mail or messages icon bothers me so I always read them.

It would be dependent on the database. There is no app restriction but messages = storage which is limited by the iPhone's memory. I had a really long convo going for 6 days with a ton of info i needed in it that had over 2000 messages but like Eric said, going back to view the earlier ones was slow as hell.

Why the hell would one need to text or even keep that many messages?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I personally travel a lot for my full time job and sit in boring presentations and meetings.

Gotta stay in touch with the family and girlfriend and side business when I can't call. Heavy traveling months I will hit 10k texts.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I have my entire two year relationship with my GF on my iPhone back from my Gen 1 days. I jailbroke my 3Gs and cannot get my sms.db to transfer over without my phone crashing so I might have lost it It was well over 10,000 texts.