Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help, bought iphone and does not work correctly (Please Read)

Default Need help, bought iphone and does not work correctly (Please Read)
    Ok, I bought my first iphone yesterday off someone on craigslist locally. I bought the Iphone 2g 4gb, in pretty good condition, only a little wear on back other than that, screen was perfect etc.. He said he does not have at&t anymore which was why he was selling his 4gb and 8gb one. So he told me he upgraded it to 3.0 software and just needs to be unlocked because it says Please insert sim blah blah. So he asked me if I could, and I said yes. So when we met, he showed me the buttons work, like it was in the emergency calls only and you can slide to use. So i thought it seems like it works since all the buttons work there. So i get home to unlock it and found out when i text the bottom row keys dont work. So i thought since it is a new firmware maybe there were bugs or something for my phone, so redid the 3.0 firmware and it did it again. I also tried downgrading to 2.2.1 and it still does it. But when i go to make a call, the backspace or call button does not work, and emergency call only screen is a different layout than the regular call screen. So i think i figured that i had a 'deadstrip'. I think it only works when the buttons are big enough that it has a larger touch surface so it works that way. BUt when things become smaller on the touch screen, the things become more percise resulting in you knowing which buttons do not work. I contacted him and he said he sold a working phone, and i told him what happened, and he just tells me it was working when he sold it.

What should I do?

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

sounds like its a hardware issue. you will probably need to get the lcd digitizer replaced. The guy knew that the phone didnt work in those places thats why he sold it to you, im assuming you probably got it for a cheap price too? Thats the thing about craigslist, there is always some 1 looking to hustle people. Use it as a learning experience though. we all go through that but u are not totally in the dark because the screen isnt working, it can be fixed. it might be costly though.
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

Faulty digitizer, but on a first-gen phone the screen assembly runs $130 or so for the part.

I have the same problem on my new 3gs. The left side about the width of my finger is dead. Time to make a trip to the apple store.

you got ****** over dude. find out where he lives and kick his *** and get back your money. seriously thats so ****** up!

Well I just got back from apple store and I brought them the phone with no sim card and told them my dad was using it since he needs a phone. So I found out that even though the phone is out of warrenty, The "multitouch" sensor always has warranty? So I brought the phone back with my friends sim card and it wouldnt read it so I quickly unlocked it and hoped they would not take the sim card out to try it and since I could not make another appointment for today they just quickly looked and added the note that they saw the multitouch sensor is faulty and that I dont need a sim card for tomorrows appointment which I get to fill out papers and get a free replacement iphone 2g.

Thats good news hope they get it fixed for you. Took mine in today and it was only a lose connection on the cable. They reseated the cable and all works fine.

The first-gens have had that issue with the digitizer.

And FYI- Per Apple's own warranty agreement, you dont need the phone activated or need a simcard in it to get warranty work done. Its not required.

Wait so u don't need no receipt and can have had ur phone for over a year and get it fixed/replaced FREE?

Am I hearing that right

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    The first-gens have had that issue with the digitizer.

And FYI- Per Apple's own warranty agreement, you dont need the phone activated or need a simcard in it to get warranty work done. Its not required.
    Well my phone is out of warranty and you could not tell the digitizer was messed up on the emergency mode was up. But when you open up something like the keyboard for say which has a smaller range of were you can push on the touch screen was what I had to show. So I had to put a sim card in it and get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    Wait so u don't need no receipt and can have had ur phone for over a year and get it fixed/replaced FREE?

Am I hearing that right
    Well the technician said the "multitouch sensor" is always fixable for free, If your phone is not cosmetically bad I would guess. I went back to another technician to whom I did not make an appointment with and he was going to charge me $199. I kept telling him that the other person did not say a fee and he was telling me since my phone is out of warranty I would. He then went in the back and ask the guy and came out saying my appologies the touch is replaceable for free. I was not the original owner I bought it off someone who must have bought it off someone else according to the print out the apple technician gave me. I have no receipts what so ever, and first time I have ever been in an apple store too

Just thought that might help to just visit your apple store and schedule and appointment if your digitizer is broken instead of buying one online.

Wow, Im going to ride my 3Gs out till its wheels fall of than. Thats the only thing I could see going wrong with it the touch screen AND get it fixed for free. no brainer

Just got back from the apple store today, they are sending me a new 4g iphone 2g from the factory, I had the option to hand my old one over when i get it but i just decided to leave them. So sucks for the guy that tried to rip me off.