Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Few questions before I decide to upgrade...... (1.1.2 to 1.1.3 or to 1.1.4)

Default Few questions before I decide to upgrade...... (1.1.2 to 1.1.3 or to 1.1.4)
    Ok Ive been reading some of the threads and nothing has really answered my questions and I dont feel like reading through 65 posts in 4 different threads...............

So I have a few questions before I decide to upgrade and just want some input...

First of all right now Im running jailbroken and activated 1.1.2. I like the way I have it right now with my own theme and the 5 icon bar. If I upgrade will I be able to customize things like the icons and the bar and wallpaper?? I dont want to have to look at the boring main screen and boring black wallpaper....

I downloaded a bunch of apps on the phone but it seems like that since the new firmware has released I cant download any new ones anymore (Error cannot find host is what pops up when I try).....
    Does the new firmwares allow you to still download these apps?
    I know it allows you to have web apps but what about third party apps?

I mean is it worth it if Im pretty satisfied with the way it works now?? What am I really missing out on??

I guess Im wondering if there was anyone in my shoes who was reluctant to upgrade and did anyways and are glad they did.....
    Let me hear the good and the bad

Also if anyone has upgraded recently what is the easiest way??? I read all the guides but they are from a couple months ago and Im sure problems and fixes have changed this process since then.....
    Can you just go into installer and get the upgrade to 1.1.3 or do you need to start fresh. I read that you should start fresh because the apps stay in the cache and take space... True?? Has anyone been in my position and just upgraded without problems??
    I read the guide for the soft upgrade but I just feel really hesitant to do it like that....

Maybe I just needs some words of encouragement.....

I hope Im not the only person wondering this so I hope this will help others also.

For what its worth my phone is one of the originals (if it matters)..... waited in line for it....

Also I have a macbook so the easiest way through mac software.....

Thanks for your help

Sorry bout all the periods sometimes I get carried away with them....

first - yes, on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 you can customize, add apps, the whole nine yards (i'm running 1.1.4 right now)..... LOL
    second - i've always upgraded right away, and never had an issue. For the 1.1.4 one, i used ziphone to do all the unlocking/breaking/etc....

1.1.3 offers the new locate me feature and a few other little things, 1.1.4 is noticably more "stable" .

Hope that helps

pry

Quote Originally Posted by prybar View Post
    first - yes, on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 you can customize, add apps, the whole nine yards (i'm running 1.1.4 right now)..... LOL
    second - i've always upgraded right away, and never had an issue. For the 1.1.4 one, i used ziphone to do all the unlocking/breaking/etc....

1.1.3 offers the new locate me feature and a few other little things, 1.1.4 is noticably more "stable" .

Hope that helps

pry
    Hey thanks,

Did you upgrade with an already jailbroken and activated phone or did you just do it from 1.1.3???

What do you mean more stable?? I dont have many problems with my phone in the first place.... It glitches once a month maybe...

i mean exactly that

i would have crashes maybe once every 2 weeks or so, but haven't had one since 1.1.4 came out.

My iphone was 1.1.3 jb and unlocked before i did the upgrade.

any more probs, feel free to ask, i'm here to help

pry

Sorry to butt in- but I have 1.1.4 and have been unable to find a way to use customize (to even download it) due to the fact that I have a PC. Am I missing something?

have you jailbroken?

it's on installer...although i'm not sure if it's 114 ready, i use summerboard

let me try it and report back my findings in a few

pry

nevermind

http://thespicychicken.com/welcome/post/id/34

customize is not 113 or 144 ready, but summerboard is

pry
    Last edited by prybar; 2008-03-14 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost