Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple knows if u jailbroke Iphone 3gs!

Question Apple knows if u jailbroke Iphone 3gs!
    Hi ,

well first time posting on this site, and i just spoke to my friend ( who has a friend that works for ATT )

He said that if you jailbreak your iphone 3gs and restore it that apple would know, that this is a new thing they put in iphone 3gs only...

Any one know anything about this? because having my warranty go poof makes it pointless in buying the phone...

If it is true... then do you guys recommend getting the 3g? its only 8gig (i can get a 16gig refurb but too much hasle) and i get to keep warranty and jail break it freely.

The downside to that is well, im paying for an outdated phone for another 2 years, for a worse camera, video, half the processing speed and half the graphics; and i lose 8 gig of space... and even if i get a refurb iphone 16g well thats only $50 diff.

Please assist! ty.

Your friend is full of crap.. The 3GS has only been jailbroken on like 5 peoples phones so far. because the jailbreak hasn't even been released (publicly) for the 3GS yet.. That and jailbreaking any iPhone (technically) breaks your warranty.. no matter what.. :P It's not for the faint of heart / wreckless with phone
    -Eric

-White iPhone 3GS 32GB. (For SALE)
    -15" MacBook Pro. Aluminum.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I agree. Your friends friend is full of crap. Even if it reported it it would have to be physicaly verified when you send it in which unless you forget to reflash your phone to stock would not be a problem.

Well his friend at ATT told him that... and i understand that jailbreaking breaks warranty but we all know that non of us here care and that we will always exploit the system to get the things we want. Like honestly i posted here because its one person at ATT and its something that has nothing to do with formating to stock... Killing me here cuz my samsung blackjack 2 just broke down ( screen half of it is blank ) and i was 2 days late for warranty.

Any of you guys continue to purchase warranty?

I mainly want to jailbreak it so that i dont have to pay data plan, and ofcourse having free apps and games is always a plus. Hope getting a Capsule rebel will protect it if it falls =O lol

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Everyone knows that Apple can tell if you have jailbroken ANY iphone...2G/3G/3GS. They just never instituted a policy to make it mandatory to check. They have software that detects it. One1 has it as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Phoe (2009-07-04)

One1? so your saying im safe? that they generally dont bother to check at apple stores since they are so busy?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

They haven't done it yet. Yeah One1 is a forum member here on MMI.

A jailbreak is live, will wait a while b4 using.

Thanks

As CaptainChaos said, Apple can tell if any iphone has ever been jailbroken, even once. They have software that detetects it.

The major thing is that they have never done anything about it and cant really do anything about it. A simple restore is enough for Apple to honour the warranty so don't get scaremongored by stupid stories.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

11. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

Phoe (2009-07-04)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Jailbreaking isn't illegal.. what are you worried about?! Warranty???!!!! This is NOT the site for you, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Jailbreaking isn't illegal.. what are you worried about?! Warranty???!!!! This is NOT the site for you, lol.
    Well considering that they couldnt detect the 3g like my friend states, then i would have no prob jailbreaking... but comon who doesnt want a free new iphone when ever they want? Its always a plus, and i could care less if it was illegal. I paid money for it , its mine i can do w.e i want with it. Also ty for all the replies! appreciated and time to get some jailbreak going!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If you restore the phone as a brand new device, how do they tell you jailbroke?
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

There are a few system files that don't get erased when restoring. These have been proven to show evidence of jailbreaking. They just don't chose to detect these at the Apple store at of yet.

There are a few system files that don't get erased when restoring. These have been proven to show evidence of jailbreaking. They just don't chose to detect these at the Apple store at of yet.
    Ah ty

Just stick it to the man.....screw ATT if you need warranty restore the phone and take it to Apple, very doubtful you'll have an issue.

[QUOTE

I mainly want to jailbreak it so that i dont have to pay data plan, and ofcourse having free apps and games is always a plus. Hope getting a Capsule rebel will protect it if it falls =O lol[/QUOTE]

Your still going to have to pay for the data plan..

Thanks

Okay, well, I never actually jailbroke my 3GS. I updated my jailbroken 3G on 2.2.1 to 3.0 and had the battery % thing and wrong app icons and stuff. When I restored my 3GS from my 3G's backup, I had the icon problem and I couldn't turn the battery % off. The icons were really annoying me, so I decided to restore as a new device. Will it look like I jailbroke my 3GS to Apple?

Quote Originally Posted by HayWire View Post

I mainly want to jailbreak it so that i dont have to pay data plan, and ofcourse having free apps and games is always a plus. Hope getting a Capsule rebel will protect it if it falls =O lol
    Your still going to have to pay for the data plan..
    No i wont have to, brosspref and i call in saying i wont use Iphone again. They will never charge me (unless i go on vacation and want internet then i wouldnt mind, but for the time bieng i got internet at school, home , and work so ill live.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phoe View Post
    No i wont have to, brosspref and i call in saying i wont use Iphone again. They will never charge me (unless i go on vacation and want internet then i wouldnt mind, but for the time bieng i got internet at school, home , and work so ill live.)
    That has nothing to do with jailbreaking. Even if you jailbreak, AT&T still knows you're using an iPhone. You could take your SIM card out, put it in another phone, and then call AT&T, but once you start using the iPhone again, they're gonna know.

But even if you do somehow get away with it, it still doesn't matter if you jailbreak or not. Jailbreaking is just allowing 3rd party apps not approved by Apple to be installed on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    That has nothing to do with jailbreaking. Even if you jailbreak, AT&T still knows you're using an iPhone. You could take your SIM card out, put it in another phone, and then call AT&T, but once you start using the iPhone again, they're gonna know.

But even if you do somehow get away with it, it still doesn't matter if you jailbreak or not. Jailbreaking is just allowing 3rd party apps not approved by Apple to be installed on your phone.
    Go read on brosspref, and how my turning off Edge and 3g will not allow ATT to detect that ur using Iphone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast